2015 MA Turkey Season

So, you have to stop shooting at noon, right? So the "safest" time to go scout them is in the evening around sundown? Plotting a two day "food poisoning" sick days off in the next couple weeks and trying to plan accordingly.

My first bird!

950DB877-4FD7-4D51-99B8-28774960A74B.jpg

Nice first post!!

youth weekend in nh was a success my daughter Sadie shot a 21 pound tom with 9.5 beard!!! first bird with 12 gauge. not to shabby for a 12 year old !!!!! looking forward to opening day on sunday after the shoot on Saturday. gonna be a great weekend

is everyone using blinds. Has anyone stalked for turkey?
Good way to get your ass shot. Think about it.....the birds you are stalking are probably being called to a hunter in a blind with a 12 gauge loaded with 3 1/2 inch magnum turkey blasters! And you are in full camo.

Last edited:
is everyone using blinds. Has anyone stalked for turkey?

As others have said, stalking turkey's is dangerous and a recipe for someone getting shot.

That said, I often do more of a "run & gun" approach when it comes to turkey hunting. For me that means covering some ground to locate a gobbler that is responding to a call and then setting up to call him in.

When it comes to hunting turkey I can take it or leave it. For me it is an opportunity to scout for deer sign with a shotgun and a call.

I do not hunt turkey's on Saturday. In 30+ years of hunting I have shot ripping though the trees around me in the woods twice because some a$$hole was stalking a bird I was working.

When you set up put your back against a big tree.

Bob

I got one tuesday morning. 20.5lbs 8.5inch beard 7/8 spurs. My brothers bagged one yesterday same wieght but 10.5 and 1 1/8 spurs. My bird is kind of pathetic in the pic due to the pouring rain and no one to take a hero shot for me.
e04992d27c43f4185d7a580164981dd0.jpg
f97ed83411dcbab082ddd3110a5b0534.jpg
ba674fb507fd5c099fb15c68e05b8475.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

almost had a double this morning...my hunting partner and I had 2 toms come running at the decoy we both lined up the shot at 25 yards, his gun went bang, mine went click, no strike on the primer. At least he got a nice bird.

anyone else see a fireball at 4:30 this morning?

Last edited:
Anyone going out for the opener tomorrow in NH? I'll be out in the Concord area. Last year was my first year turkey hunting and it was frustrating to say the least. Put a lot more time into scouting this year and am hoping for better results.

Had 2 gobbling their fool heads off this am but could not get them to move.
They must have been full up on girl friends. I hope they get more responsive in the next week or two.

Never hunted Mass before, got my license online. Any thoughts on where to get the stupid green safety sticker?

Besides sending in self addressed envelope to state.

Last edited:
Never hunted Mass before, got my license online. Any thoughts on where to get the stupid green safety sticker?

Besides sending in self addressed envelope to state.

The division headquarters and regional ones have em. There is an office in Boston downtown too that has em if thats on your commute.

My student form last years youth hunt

He leaned a lot

11 inch beard 23 pounds and 1 1/4 spurs

It is what I like to see

For the love of god stop stalking turkeys. Me and my buddy had 4 gobbling their heads off at us. Awesome sound but they wouldn't bite. Then they all stopped dead.

Two hunters spooked all of em. And we were on posted private land with permission which they did not have. First time in that spot for me but same thing happened to my buddy with the same two guys last week.

Schwacked one. Nice two year old tom, 1" spurs, 9 or so inch beard. Was supposed to be the girlfriend's kill but he played the circle game at the last minute and she couldn't get the right angle so I had to pull the trigger. Either way I can't wait for dinner tonight.

Hopefully they'll launch a full investigation into "whether or not it is currently legal to hunt a bearded turkey." Pretty hard thing to figure out.

If it's legal to hunt in Marblehead with a bow and I wound a turkey have I committed a felony as it says in article...?
[thinking] Good luck with that one officer.

Back
Top Bottom