2014 USPSA Area 7 Championship - Registration open

He doesn't need one, he has me!
Very true Dan!

- - - Updated - - -

As of right now, we are at capacity for the match.
We may have a few folks sign up that planned on working. Once those people get squared away, we will probably have a small handful of slots available.
People may continue to sign up nline, but will be placed on the waitlist. As spots become available, they will be filled on a first-come-first served basis from the waitlist.

Thanks everyone for the amazing response.

Steve

Does not make sense to me that folks outside Area 7 can actually sign up the day the registration begins and "wait list" those from Area 7. Saw the original post that registration should be available the week of Feb 17th and checked this am. Already full:( Just venting a little. It is what is is.

Does not make sense to me that folks outside Area 7 can actually sign up the day the registration begins and "wait list" those from Area 7. Saw the original post that registration should be available the week of Feb 17th and checked this am. Already full:( Just venting a little. It is what is is.

It filled up very fast. Thankfully bones email'd letting me know it was open otherwise I definitely would have missed it. I happened to look and just before 8 PM last night there were only 11 slots left, so it basically filled in 24 hours.

This reg method is very awesome though...practiscore is sweet.

There are other matches that get filled in under a minute. Different online registration process though. This one worked very well.
I'm glad it didn't use Paypal for payment.

You can blame area 8 for that, they scheduled their Area match on labor day weekend, south of DC. Lots of northern Area 8 shooters are going to A7 instead of fighting all the traffic getting to A8

You can blame area 8 for that, they scheduled their Area match on labor day weekend, south of DC. Lots of northern Area 8 shooters are going to A7 instead of fighting all the traffic getting to A8

I didn't even realize the labor day part, makes the choice to go to maine to shoot the sectional instead a lot easier...

I know it is a good thing that the demand for the sport is so high. It just does not seem right that shooters from Area 7 can't shoot because shooters from other regions taking slots the day the registration opens. If we filled the same day with Area 7 shooters, I would get it and have a big smile on my face:) The way it is just does not make a lot of sense to me. I know more than a handful of folks who feel the same:( I am all for helping out and will probably volunteer for one day to help out even if I do not shoot. Having to take Friday out of work and having to work the match all weekend is pretty tough.

Gary,
Divehunter has it right. I just registered and was wait listed. Yes, I signed up two days after registration opened--my bad for missing this post.

However, last year I tried registering for the Area 2 match because my wife has family out there. The MD sent me a polite email saying that registration was restricted to Area 2 residents for approximately two weeks. After that time, if there was space available, I'd be permitted to register. Turns out match was full after the two weeks.

That policy might be worth considering given how popular these matched have become.

Not trying to get in your grill, just saying that Area-resident restrictions are out there already and seem to be working.

Maybe waitlisted A7 folks should go to A8 and add to the traffic congestion?

I know it is a good thing that the demand for the sport is so high. It just does not seem right that shooters from Area 7 can't shoot because shooters from other regions taking slots the day the registration opens. If we filled the same day with Area 7 shooters, I would get it and have a big smile on my face:) The way it is just does not make a lot of sense to me. I know more than a handful of folks who feel the same:( I am all for helping out and will probably volunteer for one day to help out even if I do not shoot. Having to take Friday out of work and having to work the match all weekend is pretty tough.

Yup, I agree. Got waitlisted too -- was travelling and got to the NES a bit too late. A8 looks more attractve now...

Yup, I agree. Got waitlisted too -- was travelling and got to the NES a bit too late. A8 looks more attractve now...

I know it isn't much consolation, but a8 always puts on a great match! I've gone the last 2 years, to Pennsylvania and to Fredericksburg.
I would love to have gone this year to, but with a new baby, it isn't in the cards.

Steve

I know it isn't much consolation, but a8 always puts on a great match! I've gone the last 2 years, to Pennsylvania and to Fredericksburg.
I would love to have gone this year to, but with a new baby, it isn't in the cards.

Steve

Sorry, Steve, it was crappy sarcasm attempt.

Tried to register and got put on the waiting list. Tried to use the "pay at match" option and was told that I had to pay before I could attempt to squad. Registering seven months in advance is a new one on me and paying seven months in advance is asking too much; I might not be alive seven months from now. The last Area 7 match I shot at Harvard two years ago was easy to sign up for and cost $40. I'm not sure this is progress.

Sorry, Steve, it was crappy sarcasm attempt.

No worries.
I was being totally serious though:
If you ever get a chance to travel to the a8 match, definitely go for it.
Especially if it is at Fredericksburg, they put on one hell of a match.

Steve

Gary,
Divehunter has it right. I just registered and was wait listed. Yes, I signed up two days after registration opened--my bad for missing this post.

However, last year I tried registering for the Area 2 match because my wife has family out there. The MD sent me a polite email saying that registration was restricted to Area 2 residents for approximately two weeks. After that time, if there was space available, I'd be permitted to register. Turns out match was full after the two weeks.

That policy might be worth considering given how popular these matched have become.

Not trying to get in your grill, just saying that Area-resident restrictions are out there already and seem to be working.

I do not disagree with you John, I stepped out because I am not working or shooting the match and felt my comments were out of line. Best of luck.

Thank you for the suggestion of 'restricted to area residents for the first week', that's something that will be considered for next year. The response for this year was much more than expected in such a short period of time.

Thank you for the suggestion of 'restricted to area residents for the first week', that's something that will be considered for next year. The response for this year was much more than expected in such a short period of time.
The Practiscore squadding system and the USPSA system will eventually be integrated into one using a "best of both" model. I will talk to the dev team and suggest that an option be added to restrict registration to in-Area residents for an initial period of time (the on-line membership database does not currently contain addresses, but it does contain the state of residence for each member).

I ran registration last year and although there was an initial rush, it took several weeks for the match to fill. This "immediate sellout" is something new for Area 7.

One way to look at is that the interest in the sport is very healthy, which is a good thing for all involved. I do agree that there should be a priority time for those in a specific area...

No worries.
I was being totally serious though:
If you ever get a chance to travel to the a8 match, definitely go for it.
Especially if it is at Fredericksburg, they put on one hell of a match.

Steve

Steve, I am afraid I would sound pissed off, but for variety of reasons I shoot only local matches. Thus, A7 is the only Area match I would shoot.

David, thank you for recognizing the issue with registration.

One way to look at is that the interest in the sport is very healthy, which is a good thing for all involved. I do agree that there should be a priority time for those in a specific area...

Anyone with such thoughts should email the Area Director at "[email protected]".

Another consideration since GM's "set the bar" for peformance, would be to restrict early registration to in-Area residents and GM's. This would increase the chances of the area match results counting as a classifier (it requires several GM's to do so), and avoid artificially inflated match percentages because the GM's were shut out. And yes, I know this will be a somewhat controversial policy, but I think there could be some benefits (at the expense of 5 or 6 slots for in-Area members).

It just does not seem right that shooters from Area 7 can't shoot because shooters from other regions taking slots the day the registration opens.
This has never happened before, and it's not reasonable to expect the match to rescind already accepted applications. Area Director Dave Bold will be all over the issue like a cheap suit in 2015.

Last edited:
How many other matches have "regional priority"? I'm familiar with popular matches having a "loyalty" preference, past shooters having a week or more ahead of new shooters to the match.

Anyone with such thoughts should email the Area Director at "[email protected]".

Another consideration since GM's "set the bar" for peformance, would be to restrict early registration to in-Area residents and GM's. This would increase the chances of the area match results counting as a classifier (it requires several GM's to do so), and avoid artificially inflated match percentages because the GM's were shut out. And yes, I know this will be a somewhat controversial policy, but I think there could be some benefits (at the expense of 5 or 6 slots for in-Area members).

First of all, I believe David has already confirmed that the issue is recognized and the changes are in order. I agree with your comments about specific inclusion of GMs to avoid "watering down" the Area match.

I also agree that it is not a good idea to rescind already accepted applications.

Last edited:
The decision regarding registration policies for the Area Championships rest exclusively with the Area Director, so he is the one to convince.

One thing that didn't help, it was stated that the registration would be available the week of the 17th, a Monday. Then, it opened up on Sunday, the 16th, giving people that saw the post a head start, and they let others know, and the match filled up. Going live on a holiday weekend didn't help I'm sure.
Next time have a firm date and time that registration will be open. Even that will lead to "Black Friday" like crowds trying to get registered. I've even seen it mentioned to allow small amounts of people register each day. There is no easy, nor fair way. People used to send entrys by Express Mail in order to get into the Miller / Smith and Wesson Invitational matches.

Back
Top Bottom