1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

2014-2015 New England Patriots Megathread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ntomsw, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Mankins out for Bucs.

2. Lone Wolf McQuade

Lone Wolf McQuade NES Member

Coach will have a busy week after this all around poor performance. A well deserved loss.

3. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

didnt they win the superbowl the last time they lost an opener in 03? I relaize its not the same team...but alot of surprises today in the nfl...just pumped its football time again

4. browncoat

browncoat

Was that their 18-1 season? I could live with a season like that. I hate to say it because I love Brady, but it really seems like his arm isn't what it used to be.

5. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

i do not know if it was their 18-1 season off hand with out a quick google fu....yea he did look a bit rusty in the second half...father time eventually catches everyone. but I think we gotta wait and see it over more than just one game...Miami has always seemed to be his kryptonite

6. browncoat

browncoat

Yeah. I heard it was 100 degrees down there, that's no kind of heat to play football in.

7. arlow

arlow

No 18-1 was 2007

8. SHOCKNAWE

SHOCKNAWE

They played awful in the second half, maybe the heat had something to do with it.

Hopefully they get it straight for next week, I mean the Defense was something I was excited about...

9. shamrockjr

shamrockjr

At least I played that one right. I watched the first half at the local pub and then had to head out to do some errands. If the 2nd was 1/2 as ugly as I've heard I'm glad I didn't watch!

10. JoeT

JoeT

could've been worse.... They could have been the cowboys. THAT was an ugly game for cowboy fans

11. Pete85

Pete85

I was thinking the same thing. For all of August, while they were practicing, we've had very mild weather here, with most days peaking in the low 80's. Practicing and getting used to that 80 degree weather (or cooler) then going and playing in 100 degree weather significantly decreases your performance. The Dolphins on the other hand got to practice in the 100 degree weather all summer, so they were accustomed to it by game time.

I guess we'll know when we see if they can recover next week against the Vikings.

12. dixidawg

dixidawg NES Member

They picked up right where they left off last year vs Denver. Incapable of stopping ANYTHING the other offense was doing, and incapable of doing ANYTHING when they had the ball. For a team that has supposedly improved so much during the off season, this was an extraordinarily pitiful effort given it was against the Dolphins and Tannehill.

13. arlow

arlow

The last TWO times the Patriots lost the first game of the season they went on to win the Super Bowl. 2001 and 2003.

1 person likes this.
  14. dpaquette79

dpaquette79

THIS! It's one game... there are 15 more.... They'll get it together. GO PATS!

15. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

i never liked blaming losses on weather..

16. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout

Miami helped the NE D by attempting passes in the 2nd half.

The D line and backers could not stop basic runs.

Vollmer looked like a statue out there on the OL. Solder wasn't much better. Big dudes but no quickness. How many times did we see Vollmer standing with hands on hips after Brady eats the turf?

Get ready for power running against the Pats this year. Wilfork was single teamed most of the game.

17. Garys

Garys NES Member

First half/second half.
    I think the projections that said that the heat and humidity would get to the Pats in the second half were spot on. Tedy Bruschi talked about this on 'EEI last week. He said that the second thing the players looked at when the schedule came out was when they played the Dolphins. If it was early in September, they hoped that it was a later in day or night game. No matter how much they practiced up here in heavy clothes, not matter how much they pre hydrated, if they got IVs during half time, none of it made it any easier.

I think that's what we saw yesterday. I don't think it necessarily says anything about the rest of the year.

What I saw in the second half was a porous Offensive Line and a Defensive Line that couldn't stop the run. Stupid penalties didn't help either, but some of that is the new way the rules are being interpreted and applied. If enough calls are made to the Commissioner's office by owners complaining of that, it will be modified.

That's if the Commissioner isn't fired over the Ray Rice beating up his now wife thing. Which I won't comment on other than to say I saw a lot of non athletes do that to their wives and girlfriends.

18. Pete85

Pete85

My comment wasn't so much about the weather as it was their training related to the weather. Any athlete, whether professional or not, will tell you the heat and humidity when you're training compared to what it is at game time can make or break your game performance. The hotter the air or the more humid the air, the less oxygen you get for each breath leading to much quicker fatigue, and the more you sweat out leading to much quicker dehydration. As you get dehydrated, blood flow is reduced leading to even less oxygen reaching your muscles. If you train in the hot and humid conditions your body becomes accustomed to the lower O2 per breath and quicker dehydration and it will start to compensate for that (typically referred to as increasing your anaerobic threshold). Since August around here was pretty mild, and reports are that it was close to 100 degrees and humid at game time, the result was a decreased performance by the Patriots.

It's not an excuse for their loss, just an explanation of what probably happened.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. Executive

Executive NES Member

Well, it looks like the Vikings will not have much of a running game Sunday.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...d-reckless-negligent-injury-to-a-child-091214

Another coddled NFL star screws up. This is why I have respect for Tom Brady. You never hear him doing something stupid like this.
    Either he is really clean or he covers up his tracks well.
    And I know he has a child with Bridget Monahan out of wedlock, but the child is reportedly very well taken care of.

Anyway, I'm going to the range Sunday instead of watching the New Felon League this week.

Chris

20. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

If what AP supposedly did is criminal, then my dad would still be in jail

21. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

I have been calling it the National Felon League for a long time.....Saw the AP news yesterday..it appears he whipped his kid pretty bad with a switch. I think anyone over the age of 40 took a whooping when we messed up as kids.I know I did..I saw the photos of the marks on his kids body and for some reason it just made me feel horrible for the little guy. I know there is parental punishment, but sometimes it gets taken a little to far with people. I would think a guy who had his young son beaten to death last year by his baby mamas felon POS bf would never lay a hand on his kids. just my rambling thoughts

as far as brady goes...everyone has skeletons in their closet lol..just a matter of time until they tumble out of the closet [laugh]

22. arlow

arlow

I thought the same thing at first then I read elsewhere the kids arms, torso and face were covered in lacerations. If true that is way beyond punishment.

There was also an issue a couple years ago with his child''s mother's boyfriend abusing one of his kids.

23. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

his baby mama's BF killed his kid unfortunately

24. Pete85

Pete85

I thought the same thing until I saw the picture at the link. There's a difference between spanking your kid and beating them to a bloody mess.

25. exojam

exojam

I got whipped with anything my dad could find, skinny belts, hot wheels tracks etc. One thing though, he never left me with marks like that kid got. I have to say (in my opinion) he went a overboard on this one.

26. Executive

Executive NES Member

Hitting children as punishment is not cool. Using a switch to the point where lacerations appear is just wrong. Using a switch on a four year old is criminal.

Chris

ETA: Growing up, all my dad had to do was reach for a belt and we fell right in line. He never had to hit us. My mom did whack me a few times though, with a wooden kitchen spoon when I was a teenager...

27. RHJJ

RHJJ

Not a good start for us.

28. turbo38gn

turbo38gn NES Member

f--kin pathentic

29. turbo38gn

turbo38gn NES Member

a little better now...[grin]

30. RHJJ

RHJJ

Yes , there is hope.