• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2013 USPSA NORTHEAST SECTION CHAMPIONSHIP

2013 USPSA NORTHEAST SECTION CHAMPIONSHIP

Save the weekend! August 24/25, 2013.
Applications available soon.

The Hampden Rifle and Pistol Club and the Maine Practical Shooters (Augusta) are hosting a 2-club, 2-day, 8-stage Level II match on the Maine coast. The area is beautiful and both clubs have outstanding facilities.

Competitors will shoot 4 stages at one club on Saturday morning and 4 stages at the other club on Sunday morning. The fee is only $60.00.

The matches begin each day at 10:00, so you can drive up on Saturday morning without too much trouble. It is an easy 3 hour drive up I-95. After 4 stages, you'll be done by mid-afternoon and you'll have some time to enjoy the Maine coast. Spend Saturday night at a local hotel, grab some lobster, and enjoy a second day of shooting on Sunday. You'll have plenty of time for a relaxing drive home.

This is also a perfect opportunity to bring the whole family. They can enjoy summertime along the ocean while you enjoy summertime with a pistol in your hand. Most matches don't offer much nearby activity for the non-shooters in your family, but the 2013 Northeast Championship will change that.

More information and the match application will be available soon. If you have an extra day to enjoy the Downeast atmosphere, maybe you can help run the match too; range staff needed. Check out the USPSA Northeast Section website:
uspsa-ne.org

THE MAINE EXPERIENCE; The Maine guys are working hard to make this match a great event. And being way Downeast, we will not need to check 23 sections of state law about magazine capacity, transport, or storage. If you haven't booked the August 24/25 weekend yet, think about spending a couple of great days shooting USPSA and getting ready for the Area 7 Championships at Sig.

Are there still a decent amount of spots left? It would take some creative give and take with the boss to get this off for work..

Got the weekend off (in exchange for selling my soul during the week). I'll get the application out today. A75899, certified RO as well if you're short on them.

Sadly disaster struck and I seriously regret missing the final day of the NE Sectional. The stage presentations from the first half were fantastic and It would have been fun to finish out a close race with Jason Longley. This was my level II/III debut as a CRO good tune up and prep for A7 in a few weeks.
Great match, looking forward to next year!
-Craig

...<snip>...This was my level II/III debut as a CRO good tune up and prep for A7 in a few weeks.
Great match, looking forward to next year!
-Craig
Hi Craig -- I enjoyed the stage on Saturday that you RO'ed. I never would have guessed it was your first go at RO'ing. You even found a diplomatic, friendly way to talk to me about my finger with which I have issues now and then.

No fear about next year. Dan Hurley officially announced after the shooting on Sunday that planning for next was well underway.
Jim Child
Maine Practical Shooters --

DOWNEAST NORTHEAST REPORT

The 2013 USPSA Northeast Section Championship was an amazing match with 8 high quality stages. Let's hope I get these pictures posted correctly the first try.

The crews of the Maine Practical Shooters (Capitol City Rifle and Pistol Club - Augusta) and the Hampden Rifle and Pistol Club worked incredibly hard to build challenging and interesting courses of fire. Both clubs have outstanding facilities and the teams used the complete ranges to provide a wide variety of challenges. They even chose Color Blind as the classifier, which uses three props to come pretty close to a full-on field course (a desk position, a closed doorway, and a pipe-port) .

The weather was perfect throughout the weekend. Sparkling blue skies, mid-70s, and very low humidity. The first day of shooting began with a 10:00 Shooters’ Meeting and ended by 2:00 when competitors headed off for adventures in Vacationland USA. The fair city of Augusta even spiced up the weekend with a gun show at the Augusta Civic Center which is only 3 miles from the Capitol City club.

Sunday started bright and early at the Hampden club and shooting began soon after 9:00. Even with a lunch break, competitors were again finished well before 2:00. Folks either headed out to the Seacoast or hit the road for an early trip home.
Co-Match Directors Lee Cabana and Dan Wiswell are already making plans to expand the match for 2014 and are talking about adding more stages, which both clubs can easily handle. If you couldn’t make it Downeast this year, make sure to put it on your schedule for next year.

2013 NORTHEAST LIMITED-10 CHAMPION CRAIG BUCKLAND GETS THINGS STARTED AT STAGE 2 - HARD TARGET, where hard cover steel made every shot challenging, and a swinger and double clam-shell made it even harder.

CO-MD DAN WISWELL SMOKES HIS WAY THROUGH STAGE 2 – A WALK IN THE PAHHHK, this picture shows some of the beautiful facilities at Capitol City Rifle and Pistol Club.

2013 NORTHEAST SINGLE-STACK CHAMPION PAUL MITCHELL TAKES HIS WALK IN THE PARK.

JAMIE BLOW BLOWIN’ SMOKE ON STAGE 1 – MAN OF STEEL, where penalty steel mixed with layered scoring steel for a surprisingly difficult challenge.

2013 NORTHEAST PRODUCTION CHAMPION JASON LONGLEY AT MAN OF STEEL. At the end of Day 1, Jason was locked in a nasty battle with Craig Phillips for Production Champion with a single point separating the two Master class shotoers. Unfortunately, a gremlin reached up and ripped the oil pan out of Craig’s car on Sunday morning. There were many rides offered to Craig, but he thought maybe he ought to get the car fixed first. Probably the right choice, but man, we missed the end of a good war.

ARMY STRONG – A team of 8 active duty soldiers participated in the Northeast Section Championship. There is no doubt that they are our Northeast Military Champions, - now and always.

CLASSIFIED ARMY, an Army shooter takes on the classifier Stage 6, Color Blind.

THE ARMY TAKES ON HARD COVER, some of the Army shooters are active USPSA competitors, others are new to the action shooting sports, but all were clearly experienced behind the trigger.

THE ARMY GETS OUT OF THE RACK USPSA STYLE, Stage 4 had competitors laying on a bed with their unloaded pistol on the nightstand by the windows.

THE TACTICAL DEFENSE SOLUTIONS TEAM, 2013 Northeast Limited-10 Champion Craig Buckland and 2013 Northeast Open Champion Tad Davidson enjoy the blue skies of Maine.

MATT BALL RUNS A COMPETITOR THROUGH STAGE 7 – ACCURACY COUNTS, where long shots and longer shots were made more challenging by varieties of painted hard cover.

STEVE RICHENS RUNS THE BIG CLASSIFIER – COLOR BLIND

SKIP SPRAGUE SMOKIN’ HIS ROUND GUN

KIM BUCKLAND STARTS ON STAGE 8, THE WANDERER, which ran through a hugely long corridor of walls requiring at least 18 rounds, and you still weren’t finished.

KIM FINISHES OFF THE WANDERER, where Stage 8 ended at an array of ports and a minimum of 14 more shots.

A VIEW OF JUST PART OF HAMPDEN’S IMMACULATE FACILITIES

Thanks for the Photos Dan, and thanks for being our Range Master. Looking forward to next year.

A big thanks to all of our staff and all the shooters who came to Maine's FIRST USPSA Sectional

Dan

The 2013 USPSA Northeast Section Championship was an amazing match...<snip>...They even chose Color Blind as the classifier, which uses three props to come pretty close to a full-on field course (a desk position, a closed doorway, and a pipe-port)...>\<snip>...

Dan, I'm blown away by your coverage of the Maine Sectional. I'm newbie enough to USPSA that I pretty much have to keep my head down and try very hard to busy my brain pre-planning Single Stack mag-drops and trying to remember that if I lean WAY to the right when I'm at the last port in the stage I'll discover a third metric target AND a small popper requiring engagement. [sad2]

So, the one thing missing from your report are any photos of the Range Master doing his thing.

Dan Hurley, Range Master, always on the move!
MESect2013_5830_copy_sm_640px.JPG

This is the only time I saw you sitting down all morning! And we must point out that the lady-like crossing of your ankles was dictated by classifier Color Blind's stage description.
MESect2013_5841_copy_sm_640px.JPG

Any readers who watch surfing will appreciate the caption for this photo, "Dan Hurley, Harvard Practical Shooters, totally tubed on Color Blind at the Maine State Sectional."
MESect2013_5843_copy_sm_640px.JPG

Dan, I did get a few more mundane pics of you doing administrative duties, They'll be posted over on the new Maine Practical Shooters and companion Maine State Sectional websites after some more editing ....oh yeah, and my wife Pam, the Head Shepherd, keeps mentioning the 20 bags of grain in the pickup that need to be re-located into the barn. [crying]

Great pics Dan, thanks for coming up and helping us out.
Hope we get a few more guys from down south to come up and join the fun next year. We learned alot and it will be even bigger and better next time!

Back
Top Bottom