• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2013 Spring Turkey Hunting megathread

Went out yesterday and had one gobbing right over my sholder 30 yards away from 4:45-5:30 at the top of this tall pine. He was gobbing at anything from bever's slapping their tails to woodpeckers to owls hooting. Anything. I stayed patient & waited it out for him to come down out of his tree and threw in a couple of clucks which I couldnt even get out before he interuppted me. Next thing I know he gets spooked and comes bombing out of the tree and flies right over my head and lands down the other end of this swampy area, not where I've seen any of his sign. Not 30 seconds later two idiots come crashing through the tree's damn near full sprint, well after sunrise chasing after him while he's down there strutting around still gobbling. They walked right past me maybe 20 yards away and had no idea I was there, I just let them go and I didn't hear a peep out of that bird or the two other birds I heard for the rest of the morning. Tough day but thats the gamble with state land. No gun shots though so he's still out there.

We still have a couple days before season in NH. But I couldn't sleep this morning so I went out and sat in my blind unarmed at first light to verify my scouting and location. After an hour or so of surfing my smart phone, the gobbling began in the woods about 75 yds from my location. It was like a symphony. Lasted a couple minutes then faded sparsely off in the opposite direction. I have been tracking a group of about 18 Turkeys with about 4 Toms, a couple jakes and the rest hens all winter. They tend to be together in the early morning and late evening. Mid-day they tend to run around solo. Many roost in the pines behind the house. If I don't get one it is going to be embarassing. First year trying for Turkey. Going to attempt with the bow.

We still have a couple days before season in NH. But I couldn't sleep this morning so I went out and sat in my blind unarmed at first light to verify my scouting and location. After an hour or so of surfing my smart phone, the gobbling began in the woods about 75 yds from my location. It was like a symphony. Lasted a couple minutes then faded sparsely off in the opposite direction. I have been tracking a group of about 18 Turkeys with about 4 Toms, a couple jakes and the rest hens all winter. They tend to be together in the early morning and late evening. Mid-day they tend to run around solo. Many roost in the pines behind the house. If I don't get one it is going to be embarassing. First year trying for Turkey. Going to attempt with the bow.

Good luck!

As of 6:30AM.... one less turkey. 16lb jake. Maybe not the biggest but a not bad for 30 minutes into my first turkey hunt ever.
yhuvyqeq.jpg

Next one with a bow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Got a late start this morning due to working the overnite. My buddy set us up on the corner of a field, and we let out a few yelps. Within minutes 15 had one come in from behind us and hang up about 60-70 yds off to the right. He stayed there for a few then took off running. We moved and set up on the other end of the property. Few yelps and cuts, and again one came in on my right and hung up 25 yds. I just needed him to come out 15 more feet. Had a real thick scrub pine between me and him and just couldn't get a shot. Definitely 2 different birds, but they both came in silent and left w/o a sound. The second one, that came in closer, just turned around and walked off, didn't take off like he spooked. Didn't fill a tag, but what a great morning. Looking forward to getting back out there soon.

Got a late start this morning due to working the overnite. My buddy set us up on the corner of a field, and we let out a few yelps. Within minutes 15 had one come in from behind us and hang up about 60-70 yds off to the right. He stayed there for a few then took off running. We moved and set up on the other end of the property. Few yelps and cuts, and again one came in on my right and hung up 25 yds. I just needed him to come out 15 more feet. Had a real thick scrub pine between me and him and just couldn't get a shot. Definitely 2 different birds, but they both came in silent and left w/o a sound. The second one, that came in closer, just turned around and walked off, didn't take off like he spooked. Didn't fill a tag, but what a great morning. Looking forward to getting back out there soon.

We went out last night scouting and couldnt get a gobble out of anything. Tried a few crow calls this mornng trying to locate a tom this morning and again.. nothing. The two turkeys I saw this morning including the jake I took were quiet and suprised me by coming in behind my blind. There wasn't much behind me as I was backed up against some water. They never made a sound until they made it out to my decoys then he strutted around a little and gave me a gobble finally. Boom....

Ill be out there early in the AM. My father went today and saw nothing but we scouted an area last weekend and saw a large flock so thats where i'll be tomorrow. Hoping these are OCD turkeys who frequent that spot.

Been out since 5 30. Bunch of gobbling around me but can't seem to call them in. Seen one but he stayed way outside of my range with this...
hy6y3uda.jpg

Yeah Welchj and I didn't have any luck this morning. What's the details on that bow?

Other than the fact that I totally look marvelous in Realtree APG the day was a wash....

The bow is a Mathews Reezen. 70lb draw (set to 65), Whisker biscuit rest, 5 pin TruGlo sight, shooting Gold Tip carbon XT Velocity 300s with 100g NAP mechanical broadheads. This setup with 100g target tips gets me 301fps.

Lots of gobbling this morning but nothing after sunup...had my sights fully on one but it was a non-bearded female...just my luck. She was lucky I am ethical as this would have been my first successful turkey hunt. I'm in NH so I'll be back out there tomorrow AM.

I saw a bird or a flock every 1/2 mile on my ride to the woods. Pecking around in people's driveways and front yards. Once I hit the woods...... Nada. Upsetting

Back
Top Bottom