• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2013 Smith & Wesson IDPA Indoor National Championship

They will pull the classifications from the IDPA website just before that match to ensure you are up-to-date, so it does matter. I already have three people interested and have told the MD of the Indoor Nationals that I was offering the classifier to the competitors who need to get the update and he was good with it.

For those of you who contacted me about classifying for the Indoor Nationals I will have the classifier on Sunday Feb 3 @ 12:00 pm. Cost is $10.00 and I will upload your scores immediately after the session.

Hotel

I missed the window for the hotel deal.
They only had a certain block set.
O well .
I had to move to the slums, outskirts.

Last edited:
I enjoyed this blog post from Ron Larimer talking about how he is preparing for the Indoor Nationals. This is my first time shooting this match, so this part was particularly interesting to me:

• 1/2 of the stages required little to no movement. If I can plant, I can shoot. This is good for me.
  • 1/3 of the stages involved kneeling and there were a large number of kneeling reloads
  • 1/3 of the stages had shooting on the move, 40% right to left, 30% forward and 30% retreating
  • 1/3 of the stages had a start and reloads from a box or bag
  • 1/3 of the stages would benefit from the use of a light
  • Nearly 100% of the movement was left to right and the only left side cover was in a flashlight stage
  • Lastly, Caleb is as bad with a flashlight as I am and shining a light on the back of your hand hurts

BigDaddyAl...good info.
Thanks!

After seeing the vids on his blog I feel like a fish out of water.. I think I need to read the IDPA rule book.

BigDaddyAl...good info.
Thanks!

After seeing the vids on his blog I feel like a fish out of water.. I think I need to read the IDPA rule book.

Get ready for a boat load of ridiculousness.......I mean creativity in the stages. Who needs a match that rewards the best shooter. It's much more fun to see who can put on suspenders faster or unlock a briefcase while wearing an eye patch and a snorkel.

GI, last year's Indoor National match was pretty reasonable, all things considered. There was one stage with prop clothing which, while imaginative, I did not personally enjoy. There were no "you must carry a weighted object" stages, stages where you have to throw something at a target, or ridiculous memory stages. There were six scored shots with a pickup gun, which I also think was poor, but such is life. As far as IDPA matches go, it was OK. I'm interested in seeing what this match has to offer. PMD, I'd definitely read the rule book, those procedurals add up fast.

SPOILER ALERT....... I am one of the CSO's... Has anyone ever been to MIDNIGHT BOWLING...........? Hope you enjoy...

PROCEDURE: Start at P-1 with bowling ball in both hands, gun holstered and loaded to IDPA capacity.

On the buzzer, drop the ball onto the pressure pad to activate moving targets. Draw and while retreating to scoring table engage movers, T1 & T2. Using low cover behind table engage remaining targets as they become visible.

SCORING: Vickers
ROUND COUNT: 16
TARGETS: 8 IDPA, 2 Non-Threat

DOWN ZERO BLOG | All posts tagged '2013-Indoor-Nationals'

Looking at the stage, T 3 is the 1st target that should be taken?
Am i correct?
It states take 1 then 2 ,then take the rest in order.
Just curious.
Thanks, Mike

Mike,
I don't know much about IDPA ...but it sounds (reads) like you engage 1&2 while retreating back to the table (shooting on the move?) and shooting the rest behind the table(cover)

Mike,
I don't know much about IDPA ...but it sounds (reads) like you engage 1&2 while retreating back to the table (shooting on the move?) and shooting the rest behind the table(cover)[/QUOTE

According to IDPA rules, you must take them as you see them AKA slicing the pie .

Mike,
I don't know much about IDPA ...but it sounds (reads) like you engage 1&2 while retreating back to the table (shooting on the move?) and shooting the rest behind the table(cover)[/QUOTE

According to IDPA rules, you must take them as you see them AKA slicing the pie .

Told you I don't know much about this game yet ... Plan to read rules this weekend ;-)
I was reading like a USPSA written stage briefing.
Thanks for bringing this up - hopefully all stages will be disclosed prior to shooting so you or someone else can advise on what to shoot first.

Told you I don't know much about this game yet ... Plan to read rules this weekend ;-)
Thanks for bringing this up - hopefully all stages will be disclosed prior to shooting so you or someone else can advise on what to shoot first.

I take it your shooting the match.
What day?
I am on Saturday.
I have been on nights and weekends for 3 weeks.
I haven't picked up my gun in 6-8 weeks [shocked]

I think T1 & T2 as retreating, and they are moving. T2 seems to be an out and back disapearing target.

says use table, so left or right side of table not over as cover( says low cover ), so depending on which side of table, slice the pie for T3-T8. and T1 head stays visable to re -engage from left side of the table...[hmmm]

Last edited:
Low cover means one knee on the ground. They will tell you whether or not you can shoot over the table or not. Not a real good idea giving too much attention to the posted stages as they are usually quite different. Although you can see what start positions are, WHO, SHO, etc.

The match book was printed way before the lawyers looked at the actual stages, as Lugnut mentioned it is good to see the basic info and who is sponsoring the match and stage.

I am working this pit for the match... Generally, keep in mind that in many cases what you see in a written stage briefing and how it gets built on the ground is sometimes different... In Bay 7, (stages 12 & 13) the range is very long (100+ yards) and very narrow... You can't see the backstop - you hear the bullets impact after a delay... Because of the size limitation we had to dump two no-threats on Stage 13. We actually have to knock down some targets between stages to make the stages fit.

During your briefing you won't be told how to shoot a stage but there will be an explanation on what targets are equal priority and which ones are not equal priority (no priority = any order; if priority applies then if there is no cover shoot from near to far, if there is cover the slice the pie and shoot from outside in)

PMD, I think the toughest transition for USPSA shooters is to watch your reloads... Look in the rulebook glossary under SPEED RELOAD or RELOAD, SPEED and you will see leaving a round in the chamber and dumping an empty mag on the ground is a penalty... If you want to do this you need to retain the empty mag... Do not dump any mags with ammo on the ground... Do not break cover and just engage targets in any order.

Bottom line is it's trigger time... It's a long day so bring some snacks, maybe a folding chair...there will be water there and restrooms close by. In many bays it is so tight the staff does all the taping... Staff for sure does all the prop resets...

BTW... no kneeling on the bowling stage... That one is a lot of fun and is a shooting challenge... See you all over the course of the next couple of days... Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
It was a great match. Very challenging and a lot of fun. Thanks to all of the SOs and staff for helping to pull it off. I had a couple moments of greatness, and a lot of "meh." I didn't leave expecting to win any awards, but I'm anxious for the scores to see how I compared.

BTW... no kneeling on the bowling stage... That one is a lot of fun and is a shooting challenge...

John isn't kidding. I hit the same non-threat three times. [smile]

Last edited:
That bowling ball stage was a bear. It would have taken too much time to use a flashlight, but with my fiber front sight there was one target that I just couldn't see my sights. 10 and a failure. Ouch.

The bowling pin was tough, I got a PE and a non threat on that stage too. Great day and good time for my first trip to the Indoor Nationals. Want to thank all the RO and staff

The bowling pin was tough, I got a PE and a non threat on that stage too.

Ouch. I managed to have no PEs and no hits on non-threats. Of course, during the no-light stage I was going so slowly that I think the SO had a chance to lay down and take a nap.

Back
Top Bottom