2013 NH Summer Appleseed Schedule

Thanks for this--I'd love to give this a go with my 2 oldest boys. Friendly to n00bs, right?

Pelham, NH is approximately two weeks away. This shoot is starting to fill up... if you want in make sure you pre-register!

Sept 14/15 in Pelham: is this a LRC event? I want to bring my two oldest and need to make sure I have my ducks in a row.

Thanks!

So slap me in the face for being a uninformed forum member, just what is an apple seed shoot?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OK, now I understand. Don't own any rifles so that's out. Anyway, have a hard enough time hitting the 7/8 inch bullseye on my paper targets with my pistols, can't imagine trying to hit an apple seed.

Sorry--I used their acronym--low round count

Gotcha. We haven't been specifically designating shoots as low round count here in NH, but the course of fire we use can certainly support a reduced round count for those who might have a limited supply of ammo available. I would try to have at least 200-300 rounds per shooter, but obviously more can never hurt.

Thanks so much for the reply--I'm really looking forward to learning to be less sucky with a long gun!

Any input on using a bolt action .22 for this? I have a 10-22 for my son but that leaves me with the JC Higgins .22.

Any input on using a bolt action .22 for this? I have a 10-22 for my son but that leaves me with the JC Higgins .22.

Some of the best scores on AQTs I have ever seen have been bolt action .22s. The key, however, is having enough mags to get through the AQT. You'll want magazine capacity for at least 40 rounds. I'm unfamiliar with the higgins - but if it has detachable magazines (and you have enough of them) you should be good to go. If you only have two magazines we can work with you there too. It will decrease your round count, but that isn't always a bad thing.

Some of the best scores on AQTs I have ever seen have been bolt action .22s. The key, however, is having enough mags to get through the AQT. You'll want magazine capacity for at least 40 rounds. I'm unfamiliar with the higgins - but if it has detachable magazines (and you have enough of them) you should be good to go. If you only have two magazines we can work with you there too. It will decrease your round count, but that isn't always a bad thing.

Thanks, its a tubular magazine holding around 17 .22 lr, thoughts? and thanks

Tube feds present their own sets of challenges, mainly the difficulty reloading them. I would encourage you to try and find some solid speed loaders before the shoot, without them you'll be frustrated. The best I have seen were actually just broken arrows with one end taped over. We had a shooter last year who was able to keep up with the mag fed semi auto's using 4 of his home made arrow speed loaders.

I know that the Appleseed website recommends Tech-Sights for their events. Exactly how helpful/necessary are they? My current set-up is a 10/22 with stock iron sights and I'm not too keen on spending the money on the Tech-Sights or any other aftermarket sighting system at the moment, particularly if they're not really necessary. That said, I'm considering attending the upcoming Pelham event, but I might wait it out for another event sometime in the future if I'll likely end up frustrated trying to keep up or shoot to my potential with the stock sights.

Thanks!

I know that the Appleseed website recommends Tech-Sights for their events. Exactly how helpful/necessary are they? My current set-up is a 10/22 with stock iron sights and I'm not too keen on spending the money on the Tech-Sights or any other aftermarket sighting system at the moment, particularly if they're not really necessary. That said, I'm considering attending the upcoming Pelham event, but I might wait it out for another event sometime in the future if I'll likely end up frustrated trying to keep up or shoot to my potential with the stock sights.

Thanks!

The short answer is that the stock iron sights on the 10/22 suck and you'll probably be frustrated.

The longer answer is that before spending money on new sights for your 10/22 make sure you have a good sling (USGI web slings work well and only cost about $15 bucks) and a way to mount it. With a good sling and the stock sights you'll learn a lot at an Appleseed shoot, and might even make Rifleman. I have seen it done with the stock sights. That said adjustable sights will make your learning experience far more enjoyable. Tech-sights are definitely worth the money. and should come stock on the 10/22, I don't know how Ruger gets away with shipping the garbage sights that come stock on the 10/22.

If it were me I'd bite the bullet and get the sights ASAP to get the most bang for my buck. And if you do the TSR100 is the way to go. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom