2013 - H5573 Firearms Registration/Safety Device

House Bill No. 5573
BY Finn, Ajello, Cimini, Blazejewski

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES - WEAPONS (would require possessors of firearms to register those firearms with their local licensing authority, require that information provided in support of firearms applications be retained and maintained rather than destroyed)

2/14/2013 Introduced, referred to House Judiciary

This act would require possessors of firearms to register those firearms with their local licensing authority, require that information provided in support of firearms applications be retained and maintained rather than destroyed, and require that all registered firearms be equipped with a safety device.

They can plan all they want. Just about every firearms related bill has died in committee in the past ten years and this one will too. RI legislators are a bunch of hacks spinning their wheels and once their stupidity gets to committee it will be dropped. 11-47-41 was established in 1959. It's not going to change.

We cant just sit back and expect that this year's bills will just die in committee. Times have changed. We will have to work hard to insure they do.

Times have changed.

I plan on writing a letter to every member of the Judiciary Committee, don't worry. But times have not really changed. That pile is the most poorly written piece of shit I've seen since last year's crappy bills. We elect barely literate morons to the legislature and they prove it time again. Morons. Every last one of them.

Here are the basic hurdles that piece of shit faces:

1. As soon as that bill goes into law, every gun owner is a criminal. There is no grace period, no grandfathering, no nothing. This is a very serious flaw in the bill that the Judiciary Committee will notice (and I will point it out to them). Oops! You just committed a felony and should go to jail for 3 years! Our mistake, we're not registering guns for another 9 months. But the jail time will do you good!

2. What about police? Will they be registering all their weapons with the database? What about FFL's? No exemption given for them either... Remember how NYS screwed up the 7 round mag limit! It applies to cops in NYS too! Because they are as stupid as our legislature!

3. You think the AG wants to come up with a method to register these things? AG doesn't even want to give you a goddamn CCW permit. You think the PD's want to do this? No, they don't. They don't have the man power and they can't hire people to do it because once all the guns are registered, you can't pay for the salary- assuming the fee is to cover the program. I estimate there are 5,000 to 7,000 guns in my rural town alone. Sure, you'll make a lot of money in the first year but never again. Are FFL's going to have to report you if you don't register? How the fu*k are they going to track it? And who is going to pay for the statewide database? Or even a local one. No money, dickheads! This is a huge and expensive undertaking. And they all read have a database in Connecticut. How did that stop Sandy Hook?

4. $100 a pop is ridiculous. I have a property interest in my guns. You're going to charge me $100 to register something I already legally own? No grandfather clause? Come on. And I already pay a tax to buy them- this is another tax!

5. The law won't work. Criminals will not register their guns. How in fu*k sake does this stop any crime? All it does it cause a paperwork nightmare for cops who should be out on the streets.

The authors are a bunch of hacks. They could not write a meaningful bill to save their asses. The Judiciary Committee kills most bills every year because they are a sloppy piece of shit like this.

I have no doubt these discussions will come up in committee, but feel free to include them in your letter....

I have alread written to them and reminded them of a SCOTUS decision where the state can not tax or require a fee for a right given by the Constitution.

Supreme Court decision.
Murdock vs. Pennsylvania 319 US 105 Page [319 U.S. 105, 113] reads... The privilege in question exists apart from state authority. It is guaranteed the people by the federal constitution. viz., The state cannot and does not have the power to license, nor tax, a Right guaranteed to the people.

They can try but unless they think they can over ride the SCOTUS this should be dead I hope

Dave

I plan on writing a letter to every member of the Judiciary Committee, don't worry. But times have not really changed. That pile is the most poorly written piece of shit I've seen since last year's crappy bills. We elect barely literate morons to the legislature and they prove it time again. Morons. Every last one of them.

Here are the basic hurdles that piece of shit faces:

1. As soon as that bill goes into law, every gun owner is a criminal. There is no grace period, no grandfathering, no nothing. This is a very serious flaw in the bill that the Judiciary Committee will notice (and I will point it out to them). Oops! You just committed a felony and should go to jail for 3 years! Our mistake, we're not registering guns for another 9 months. But the jail time will do you good!

2. What about police? Will they be registering all their weapons with the database? What about FFL's? No exemption given for them either... Remember how NYS screwed up the 7 round mag limit! It applies to cops in NYS too! Because they are as stupid as our legislature!

3. You think the AG wants to come up with a method to register these things? AG doesn't even want to give you a goddamn CCW permit. You think the PD's want to do this? No, they don't. They don't have the man power and they can't hire people to do it because once all the guns are registered, you can't pay for the salary- assuming the fee is to cover the program. I estimate there are 5,000 to 7,000 guns in my rural town alone. Sure, you'll make a lot of money in the first year but never again. Are FFL's going to have to report you if you don't register? How the fu*k are they going to track it? And who is going to pay for the statewide database? Or even a local one. No money, dickheads! This is a huge and expensive undertaking. And they all read have a database in Connecticut. How did that stop Sandy Hook?

4. $100 a pop is ridiculous. I have a property interest in my guns. You're going to charge me $100 to register something I already legally own? No grandfather clause? Come on. And I already pay a tax to buy them- this is another tax!

5. The law won't work. Criminals will not register their guns. How in fu*k sake does this stop any crime? All it does it cause a paperwork nightmare for cops who should be out on the streets.

The authors are a bunch of hacks. They could not write a meaningful bill to save their asses. The Judiciary Committee kills most bills every year because they are a sloppy piece of shit like this.

I have no doubt these discussions will come up in committee, but feel free to include them in your letter....

I hope you are right but two of the bill's sponsors sit on the judiciary committee!

Last edited:
I hope you are right but two of the bill's sponsors sit on the judiciary committee!

True but there are 12 members on the committee and none of them want to look extremely stupid. Personally I expect the AG to not be in favor of this bill. He is opposed to town carry permits with multipal city and towns issuing as opposed to just the AG and this has all the citys and town maintaining their own registry list of firearms along with the State Police. Can you say cluster**** plus the 2 sponsors on the committee are from Providence also where they are trying to ban semi autos

After emailing numerous House Judiciary committee members on Feb. 17, I got a reply today (Feb. 26) from a member on the committee, Bob Craven:

Thank you for your input. I intend to vote against this bill.

Feel free to contact me in the future with any further questions or concerns.

Very Truly Yours,

Representative Bob Craven
District 32

That is 1 confirmed NO vote, 12 more to confirm.

After emailing numerous House Judiciary committee members on Feb. 17, I got a reply today (Feb. 26) from a member on the committee, Bob Craven:

Thank you for your input. I intend to vote against this bill.

Feel free to contact me in the future with any further questions or concerns.

Very Truly Yours,

Representative Bob Craven
District 32

That is 1 confirmed NO vote, 12 more to confirm.

Add Costa to the no list

Donald J. Lally, Jr., District 33 - NO
Bob Craven, District 32 - NO
Doreen Marie Costa, District 31 - NO
Joe Shekarchi, District 23 - NO
9 more to confirm.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Rep. Edith H. Ajello's office, talked to her secretary and stated my concern how on passage, all law abiding citizens in the state that own firearms will be instant criminals, her response was that there was a grace period, I asked her to re-read it, silence on the other end, she told me she would get back to me and asked about my other concerns, I stated the most obvious reason of the SCOTUS decision where the state can not tax or require a fee for a right given by the Constitution (Murdock vs. Pennsylvania 319 US 105 Page [319 U.S. 105, 113]), Silence at the other end. I then went on further to question how addressing this issue only affects law abiding citizens of the state and how criminals will never and have never followed the law and registered their firearms.

Still waiting a call back, will update when I get new info.

I just got off the phone with Rep. Edith H. Ajello's office, talked to her secretary and stated my concern how on passage, all law abiding citizens in the state that own firearms will be instant criminals, her response was that there was a grace period, I asked her to re-read it, silence on the other end, she told me she would get back to me and asked about my other concerns, I stated the most obvious reason of the SCOTUS decision where the state can not tax or require a fee for a right given by the Constitution (Murdock vs. Pennsylvania 319 US 105 Page [319 U.S. 105, 113]), Silence at the other end. I then went on further to question how addressing this issue only affects law abiding citizens of the state and how criminals will never and have never followed the law and registered their firearms.

Still waiting a call back, will update when I get new info.

I wouldn't be holding my breath. If you do get a call back ask her if there was any input from the AG on this and how it was going to be paid for if they can not charge a fee. If you want to be rude ask her if I can claim the $100 fee as a business expense for protection as you run a Marijuana dispensary since she want's to legalize pot. Your dealing with a flaming liberal that thinks the world is made up of unicorns and rainbows!

Found this on another forum:
I receaved this response back from State Rep. Doreen M Costa

"Thanks for taking the time to write.
I will not be supporting this legislation. This is an attack on our Second Amendment rights.

I will be having a Press Conference at the State House this Thursday at 2:30 pm.
I need to fill the rotunda and need as many people there as possible.
I need as many people there as possible. I do realize that this is in the middle of the day and we all work but this is when the legislators walk in and they need to know that we are serious about this.

Please spread the word and try to get there.
State Rep. Doreen M Costa"

Sounds like everyone should make an effort to gather in the rotunda on Feb 28 @2:30 and show support

Found this on another forum:
I receaved this response back from State Rep. Doreen M Costa

"Thanks for taking the time to write.
I will not be supporting this legislation. This is an attack on our Second Amendment rights.

I will be having a Press Conference at the State House this Thursday at 2:30 pm.
I need to fill the rotunda and need as many people there as possible.
I need as many people there as possible. I do realize that this is in the middle of the day and we all work but this is when the legislators walk in and they need to know that we are serious about this.

State Rep. Doreen M Costa"

Sounds like everyone should make an effort to gather in the rotunda on Feb 28 @2:30 and show support

It's too bad were are responsible people with jobs and not the 47% collecting a check that can show up anywhere at anytime for anything. Will try but it's going to be difficult! If she had some kind of petition or list to signup on to represent us that would be great
Dave

NEWS ADVISORY

State Representative Doreen Costa (R-North Kingstown, Exeter) will host a State House news briefing on Thursday, Feb. 28 to discuss House Bill 5573, legislation that would require local registration of all firearms and indefinite retention of registration records.

Representative Costa will be joined by several other elected officials, members of the National Rifle Association (NRA) and shooting sports organizations, sportsmen and women.

The briefing is scheduled for the rotunda of the State House at 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 28.

For more information, contact:

State Representative Doreen Costa

T: (401) 206-6891

E: [email protected]

H5573
State Rep. Doreen M Costa will not be supporting thislegislation. This is an attack on our Second Amendment rights.
I will be having a Press Conference at the State House thisThursday at 2:30 pm.
I need to fill the rotunda and need as many people there aspossible.
I need as many people there as possible. I do realize thatthis is in the middle of the day and we all work but this is when thelegislators walk in and they need to know that we are serious about this.
State Rep. Doreen M Costa

H5573
State Rep. Doreen M Costa will not be supporting thislegislation. This is an attack on our Second Amendment rights.
I and the NRA will be having a Press Conference at the State House thisThursday ( 2-28-2013) at 2:30 pm.
I need to fill the rotunda and need as many people there aspossible.
I need as many people there as possible. I do realize thatthis is in the middle of the day and we all work but this is when thelegislators walk in and they need to know that we are serious about this.
State Rep. Doreen M Costa

Updated the list, all we need are 9 more no votes to kill this in committee!!!! Hopefully tomorrow we will have a good turnout, I would be there, but have a customer coming in @ noon and I am not sure I will be done with him in time to make it up to Providence in time.

Back
Top Bottom