2013 F150 no crank dash shows all warnings , module issues

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Any aftermarket remote starter/alarms?
Those have been known to cause havoc over time.
First thing I look for . I got pretty good at tearing them out but now I just dont have the patience or time . If I suspect after market crap I send them to who ever put it in.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Would you stop speaking in Tech Lingo and say something us novices can understand and learn from. :)
I dont know how ?
No crank-turn key starter does not go
No Comm= computer aint talking
ALDL= computer plug thing.
12+ at pin 16 12 volts batter + at pin 16 you dont have it at computer test plug your not going to read any computer stuff
CanBus Network = Controller Area Network = the system that comms with every module on your vehicle.
Basically 2 wires running all over every where in your car .... poor connections will raise havoc on your systems
It runs on bit frame , nibles and nodes and shit beyound me
You can test can network by resistance and viewing wave forms.
Look for dirty signals. But you need to know where all they connections are which pin and time to do it.
Your looking at low voltage under 3
You need to capture the rise and fall of the “data” there is a fancy word for it but I dont recall.
Plus your meter needs to record wave form data pretty fast 10ns sticks in my head for some reason?

In a nut shell its f***Nbroken

For the record: They are all shit boxes.

Last edited:

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Ummmm. . . . . so if I could take all of the $5 bills you have. And the 1's. I'll trade you 1 $20 for every 5 $5's you bring. I'll go one better and give you a $20 for every 24 singles you provide me.

We don't want you owning those pittances. ;)

(5,000 shares at $8 or 8 shares at $5,000 - what's the diff????)

As far as "Ford sucks" for having an electrical issue in a 7yo truck, some of you weren't driving in the 70's and 80's. LOL
I owned a 72 LTD-351w, a 75 Ltd-460pi and a 70 Mercury Monterey- 400. I could tear down those engines blindfolded and the electric systems were simple, new ones, not so much.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So far the engines have been fine its the shit surrounding them
The 5.4L was a (literally) ticking time bomb. Complete shit cam phasers start going bad very early and making noise. Around the time this series was getting close to end of warranty period, Ford issued a service directive that basically said, "Yeah, we know the cam phasers make noise but they are completely OK and do not require warranty work nor recall." Never mind that many, many of these engines soon thereafter had these parts fail and come apart in the top end which doesn't end well for the engine.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I owned a 72 LTD-351w, a 75 Ltd-460pi and a 70 Mercury Monterey- 400. I could tear down those engines blindfolded and the electric systems were simple, new ones, not so much.

Because YOU HAD TO! ROFL!!!!

Kids (under 35) of today don't remember a time when your average dude is under the hood of his car regularly. Under a hood??? For what??? As bad as the aforementioned 2013 F150 is, I bet it's had less hours with someone under the hood than the 72 LTD by 1981/similar mileage. Plus it isn't covered in rust yet. ;)

I love old cars. I really do. I was partially heartbroken the day I sold my Chevelle. But nothing beats a modern car. They move better. They perform better. They don't need nearly as much maintenance. And you have rarer "chronic" problems. My Chevelle had the same problem my dad's 2 Chrysler's had in the 70's - overheating. Like DAMN! We all forget what it was like when a reasonable % of the cars stuck in a Summer traffic jam just quit working. There's 1 (2?) rest-stop on Rt88 in Westport on the way to Horseneck Beach. There were multiple cars in there overheating every weekend day all summer long when I was a kid.

I am very VERY happy to say I haven't changed my own oil in. . . . . 28 years? Can I? Yes. Will I? Hell no! Because there isn't 48 other things I've got to check on, some guy making $15/hr can do it for me. TYVM!

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I dont know how ?
No crank-turn key starter does not go
No Comm= computer aint talking
ALDL= computer plug thing.
12+ at pin 16 12 volts batter + at pin 16 you dont have it at computer test plug your not going to read any computer stuff
CanBus Network = Controller Area Network = the system that comms with every module on your vehicle.
Basically 2 wires running all over every where in your car .... poor connections will raise havoc on your systems
It runs on bit frame , nibles and nodes and shit beyound me
You can test can network by resistance and viewing wave forms.
Look for dirty signals. But you need to know where all they connections are which pin and time to do it.
Your looking at low voltage under 3
You need to capture the rise and fall of the “data” there is a fancy word for it but I dont recall.
Plus your meter needs to record wave form data pretty fast 10ns sticks in my head for some reason?

In a nut shell its f***Nbroken

For the record: They are all shit boxes.
You are right to pass it on.

Maddawg1952

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I can only provide one answer and it's my usual answer to all automotive electrical issues, ………. jack up the radiator cap...…. and drive a new car under it! Even after chasing and repairing multitudes of electric issues in trucks that are used to plow snow, it seems once I get one issue fixed then 2-3 more rear their ugly heads.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I can only provide one answer and it's my usual answer to all automotive electrical issues, ………. jack up the radiator cap...…. and drive a new car under it! Even after chasing and repairing multitudes of electric issues in trucks that are used to plow snow, it seems once I get one issue fixed then 2-3 more rear their ugly heads.
Thats usually from patch work repair on harnesses when really the complete harness should be replaced.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Because YOU HAD TO! ROFL!!!!

Kids (under 35) of today don't remember a time when your average dude is under the hood of his car regularly. Under a hood??? For what??? As bad as the aforementioned 2013 F150 is, I bet it's had less hours with someone under the hood than the 72 LTD by 1981/similar mileage. Plus it isn't covered in rust yet. ;)

I love old cars. I really do. I was partially heartbroken the day I sold my Chevelle. But nothing beats a modern car. They move better. They perform better. They don't need nearly as much maintenance. And you have rarer "chronic" problems. My Chevelle had the same problem my dad's 2 Chrysler's had in the 70's - overheating. Like DAMN! We all forget what it was like when a reasonable % of the cars stuck in a Summer traffic jam just quit working. There's 1 (2?) rest-stop on Rt88 in Westport on the way to Horseneck Beach. There were multiple cars in there overheating every weekend day all summer long when I was a kid.

I am very VERY happy to say I haven't changed my own oil in. . . . . 28 years? Can I? Yes. Will I? Hell no! Because there isn't 48 other things I've got to check on, some guy making $15/hr can do it for me. TYVM!
Yeah look at the service intervals for valve jobs , rings and such for them ild cars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mac1911 You can try disconnecting all ancillary modules from the CAN and rebuilding it module by module to see if one is junking the CAN or if the PCM itself is the issue. Also look for water in the bus connectors/bars, but if you're going to outsource at this point, you might as well let the other guy do it. It is tedious and time-consuming work, as you know.

On some cars I've seen blind spot radars and TPMS modules junk the powertrain CAN and cause all kinds of weird issues. Blind spot was very common because they are exposed to splash from the rear tires. TPMS on BMW and Mercedes the same, since the module is in the wheel well.

BrianWilson

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not that it helps you any, but back when I was Caddy guy we used to get them towed in, wouldn't do anything, bus down. At first it was go around unplugging modules one by one until the car came to life. Pretty quick we arrived at the fact that 9 times out of 9 it was the the instrument cluster

quincy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last Ford I owned was a new 1977 F-150. And it lived up to its name; Fix Or Repair Daily. Ignition module harness failure, king/link pins shot, rust. The only good thing was three on the tree with small block V8, good mpg.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
@mac1911 You can try disconnecting all ancillary modules from the CAN and rebuilding it module by module to see if one is junking the CAN or if the PCM itself is the issue. Also look for water in the bus connectors/bars, but if you're going to outsource at this point, you might as well let the other guy do it. It is tedious and time-consuming work, as you know.

On some cars I've seen blind spot radars and TPMS modules junk the powertrain CAN and cause all kinds of weird issues. Blind spot was very common because they are exposed to splash from the rear tires. TPMS on BMW and Mercedes the same, since the module is in the wheel well.
[/QUOT
Not that it helps you any, but back when I was Caddy guy we used to get them towed in, wouldn't do anything, bus down. At first it was go around unplugging modules one by one until the car came to life. Pretty quick we arrived at the fact that 9 times out of 9 it was the the instrument cluster
Caddy was always a pita, did a lot of fault tracing on late 90s mid 2000s then said "not for me" even with the break out or pin out boxes it was still no fun. Alot easier for sure.
Todays wires are much smaller and the connection ends are tiny. Its really easy to mess them up also if you dont have the nice little back probe kits.
Norrowed it down before it left to ecm/tcm/tccm/abs
i get comm with the other 13 modules.
Fun stuff with modules.
2014 e250 came in no start. Fuel pump no pumping.
Now these newer vehicles are pretty good at spitting codes. Usually get a fuel pump driver module code stating open or short in circuit xyz.
Fuel pumps dont go as often as they used to (2000-2010 it was very common)
Another one that all checks out good until you crank it over. Sounds like the fuel cut off switch .
older fords had the red button circuit breaker that tripped on impact. With age they would trip randomly. Newer ones its controlled by module. Reset is done with a few cycles of the key.
now usually it will set a inertia switch code if it set.
not today. You could cycle the key a few times crank it over and varoom then die. New module and off and running. They all stuff these modules up along the frame rail and over crossmembers just waiting to rot.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0

Body shop called to see if we had the blind spot calibration tool.
Im wondering if it can be intergrated into the hunter alignment machine.
ADAS is just something im starting to see. Not sure how deep into fixing that system im willing to go.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last indie I worked for sent ADAS calibrations to the dealer for fear of liability issues.

Also I started de-pinning harnesses that I've replaced so I have free test pins now. Nothing worse than chasing a problem you caused by using a paper clip that stretches out the terminal.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Last indie I worked for sent ADAS calibrations to the dealer for fear of liability issues.

Also I started de-pinning harnesses that I've replaced so I have free test pins now. Nothing worse than chasing a problem you caused by using a paper clip that stretches out the terminal.
what those doublebent electrical specialty test tools are NFG.

Top Bottom