2013 Collings Foundation

MX338

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have been there a bunch of times it is cool. They have a lot of old stuff there. I used to fly rc planes there with a bunch of others to try to keep the crowd entertained. Don't seem to have the time to make it there past couple years. Supposedly the owner invented the barcode. not sure if that's true but explains how he got so much money. Its worth checking out. lots of old cars and planes etc.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be 62 this year. Two years ago I was invited to fly the B24-J from Southern CT to Providence RI on a repositioning trip. All I ever wanted to do was experience what it was like flying a B24J because that's what my Dad did during WWII in the Japan theater. He was awarded many medals for his time and performance there. When the opportunity was presented to me, I felt like a child on Christmas morning getting the one and only gift he could ever want. I was also allowed to have my son with me so he could share in my excitement. It was better than I could have ever imagined. You have the full.....and I mean full run of the airplane during the flight. You can easily get killed or sucked out.....there are NO safety provisions made in this airplane as it's in 100% WWII mode. We traveled the entire plane during flight, sitting in the nose gunner and tail gunner positions, as well as the top turret position right behind the pilots. It was surreal for me.

All three of these photos taken during the flight.
Nose gunner positionView attachment 69470
Tail gunner position View attachment 69469
Waist gunner positionView attachment 69468

I highly recommend that you take the opportunity to fly one of these. This is the only B24 certified for flight right now. During the war, if you put them nose to tail, they would make a line 150 miles long. Now there is only this one.

Rome

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a 1hr. flight in a P51 also,, $3200, and would be worth every dime.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a 1hr. flight in a P51 also,, $3200, and would be worth every dime.
Years back, I had a coworker (now retired), who had grown up as an Air Force brat. His dad ran in professional and personal circles with Chuck Yeager, amongst others, and they were frequent visitors at the house.

Fast-forward about three decades, and this coworker went to the EAA fly-in at Oshkosh. He stood in line to meet Yeager, and re-introduced himself. As soon as he'd gotten his dad's name out, Yeager shouted, "You're little Gary? I haven't seen you since you were about 7 or 8 years old!"

After some conversation, Yeager asked, "Wanna go flying?" Umm, duh! So, my friend spent an hour being flown in Yeager's personal P51 two seat trainer, being flown by Yeager himself. Full dogfight aerobatics, too.

Now, that would be the aviation trip of a lifetime!

a73elkyss

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Peoples Republic of Central Massachusetts
Just bumping post...shameless but true...

I'm a big fan of these WW II war birds and attend every year they are around. If you've never seen or heard one of their B-17, B-24 or P-51 take off, you are in for a real treat. Truly awesome.

Looks like September will be the time frame for seeing them up close and personal in our area.

Wings of Freedom Schedule - The Collings Foundation

Mark your calenders.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Years back, I had a coworker (now retired), who had grown up as an Air Force brat. His dad ran in professional and personal circles with Chuck Yeager, amongst others, and they were frequent visitors at the house.

Fast-forward about three decades, and this coworker went to the EAA fly-in at Oshkosh. He stood in line to meet Yeager, and re-introduced himself. As soon as he'd gotten his dad's name out, Yeager shouted, "You're little Gary? I haven't seen you since you were about 7 or 8 years old!"

After some conversation, Yeager asked, "Wanna go flying?" Umm, duh! So, my friend spent an hour being flown in Yeager's personal P51 two seat trainer, being flown by Yeager himself. Full dogfight aerobatics, too.

Now, that would be the aviation trip of a lifetime!
That would be just about the coolest thing ever - short of being Chuck Yeager.

I took the flight on the B-17 a few years back when they were up in Nashua. We had the full run of the airplane except for the tail gunner position. I thought the coolest thing was that the navigators overhead window was completely taken out during the flight - and you could stick your head right out of the airplane if you could stand up tall enough. Somewhere I've got some pics I took looking forward and backward from the plane when stuck the camera right up into the airstream.

George D

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I was out on my boat in Newport Saturday and saw the unmistakeable profile of a B24. It flew right over us, the four engines making an unbelievable sound. A few minutes later, the B17 came in over the tree line. Totally awesome experience.

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Isn't that about the coolest sound in the world? I had hoped to get my dad a trip in either Orange or Worcester (he was a B-24 pilot in WWII), but alas he's been in rehab recovering (slowly) from surgery.

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Truly an awe inspiring sound. Just imagine hundreds at night.

Then think how the jet made them all obsolete.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Top Bottom