2012 Bullet Casting Workshop Sign-Up Thread (May 19)

This year’s casting workshop will be held at the Shirley Rod and Gun Club on Saturday May 19. This thread will serve as the Sign-Up thread. Reply to this thread if you plan to attend. Due to equipment limitations we will limit the attendance to 30 people.

Note: All attendees should bring 20 pounds of wheel weights or 20 pounds of range lead which you will smelt. In addition you should bring safety gear; heavy leather gloves, face shield or at least eye protection.

Link to Shirley Rod and Gun Club Web Site

Directions to the Shirley Rod and Gun Club

Schedule:
  • 8:30 - 9:00 Am - Arrival and setup of equipment for organizers. You know who you are.
  • 9:30 – 10:00 - Arrival and Registration for workshop participants - Please try to be on time. We really need to get the workshop rolling at 10:00.
  • 10:00 – 10:30 - Workshop begins with introduction, announcements and group assignment
  • 10:30 – 12:00 - First round of mini workshops
  • 12:00 - 1:00 - LUNCH (bring your own or bring money for pizza)
  • 1:00 - 2:30 - Second round of mini workshops
  • 2:30 - 4:00 - Third and last round of mini-workshops
  • 4:00 - Wrap Up and departure.

Mini -workshops: We are using the same format for the workshop as last year. During the introduction, we will break the registered participants into three groups. Each group will cycle through each of the three sessions. We are pleased that our group leaders from last year will be returning.
The sessions will be:

Session A: Raw Smelting - Converting raw materials into usable and clean lead alloys. This is when you will have the chance to convert your range lead or raw wheel weights into your ingots. Group Leader: DukeInMaine

Session B: Mold prep, barrel slugging, gas checks, lube choices, and lubing Group Leader: BobJ

Session C: Casting bullets in the molds, Group Leader: Marcus5aurelius

Each attendee will cycle through each group.

We'll also be running a yard sale/swap meet for those looking to buy, sell, or trade casting and reloading supplies. NO GUNS!

This year the club is not providing lunch so either bring a bag lunch or bring money for pizza.
In the event of rain, the workshop will still run to the same schedule. There's a covered porch to protect the molten lead from rain. So, please plan on attending even if the forecast is for rain.

For more information see the discussion thread.

If you have questions or if you'd like to volunteer to help with this workshop, please PM me.

The IN List so far:
Exousia
Ziptar
BobJ
Marcus5aurelius
EddieCoyle
DukeInMaine
JackO
01SVTvert +1
willdeni51
gulfmp
drewh14 ?
Bobbybats
enbloc
Downwind
sffar

Last edited:
i'll update asap to see if i can make it. if so i'll try to bring a little knife or something for a door prize again

01SVTvert's son is a tech school student, and will print and bind a copy of the casting book for a door prize.
Thank you, and thank your son for the wonderful effort. I hope that he gets extra credit in school for it.

For those who are hesitating to sign up because of lack of lead, it looks like we will have sufficient lead on hand to help you out.

Even if you aren't sure you will ever cast your own bullets this workshop can be lots of fun and eye-opening. One of the most beautiful things in the world is a pot of shiny molten lead.

I have some "DOOR PRIZE" items that I will be bringing:

1) A Cabelas Cast Iron Smelting pot, with lid, courtesy of a friend of NES
2) Some BAC tubes of lube from Randy Rat from Castboolits
3) A 25 pound box of range lead, courtesy of yours truly

I'm hoping that as the date draws near, others will also provide some donations as door prizes. Is anyone working on the local suppliers out that way for other items????
Might help get some additional attendance.

I'm not attending but can donate a dutch oven and an RCBS beam scale if someone wants to come and get them.
Consider it my 5k post karma.

I would like to sign up as well. I just picked up some lead curtsey of my club. I think I have more than 20lbs so anyone is welcome to the extra.
One question: there are chunks of the rubber mats in the pile of lead along with FMJ jackets. Will the rubber burn off and the copper I'm guessing can be skimmed off? Sorry I don't have a source for wheel weights.
Thanks
Bats

One question: there are chunks of the rubber mats in the pile of lead along with FMJ jackets. Will the rubber burn off and the copper I'm guessing can be skimmed off? Sorry I don't have a source for wheel weights.

The answer is yes but you want to get as much of the rubber out before smelting because it will make a stinky, smokey mess. The copper jackets skim off easily.

I wish I could attend but I have a class on the 19th.
I do have some lead type if anyone wants to take a trip to Leominster to pick it up. Please post here first if you want it then PM me.

type.jpg

I wish I could attend but I have a class on the 19th.
I do have some lead type if anyone wants to take a trip to Leominster to pick it up. Please post here first if you want it then PM me.

View attachment 30863

That looks like Monotype and it is very hard which is excellent for some applications. If I were you I wouldn't part with it and I would save it for special purposes, even creating some blends with pure lead which is too soft to use except for the smokepole users mostly. That aren't making much of that Monotype anymore.

Thank you for the info.

That looks like Monotype and it is very hard which is excellent for some applications. If I were you I wouldn't part with it and I would save it for special purposes, even creating some blends with pure lead which is too soft to use except for the smokepole users mostly. That aren't making much of that Monotype anymore.

EDIT: Can anyone going bring a GC mold in .314 dia that would work in an Arisaka? I have GCs and a 200 grain mold in 314 but now I am not sure the heavier bullet will stabilize in the Arisaka.

I would love to get maybe 20 completed bullets so i can try them and then purchase a mold I know will work.

Also if anyone has a sizer with a 314 die that would help..... Lol.

Last edited:
Hoping that someone can come up with door/raffle prizes. Can you local guys hit some of the local gun shops up for some reloading goodies???

I've asked at one place and struck out. I've another I'll try this weekend. In the meantime I'll contribute 4 Sticks of Carnuba Red, 20lbs of Range Lead Ingots, and an RCBS .452 Lube & Size Die (used) to the door prize swag pile. [smile]

I can donate a knife as door prize. Also, I can print out and bind another copy of the book DukeinMaine linked to. Let me know if you want a second book.

I'm still alittle short on lead, but working on it.

I can donate a knife as door prize. Also, I can print out and bind another copy of the book DukeinMaine linked to. Let me know if you want a second book.

I'm still alittle short on lead, but working on it.

Keep us posted, i'll bring extra if needed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Don't anybody feel like they can't show up if they don't have 20 lbs of lead to bring.

I'll be bringing a bunch of range lead with me. There should be plenty to cover anyone that can't get hold of any before the 19th, it'll be enough that they'll be plenty for everyone to try their hand at smelting at the very least.

CASTING WORKSHOP

Had to bail out of last years workshop due to a family obligation.

Looks like all the planets will be aligned this year!

I'll be there and will be bringing some extra range lead to be used at the seminar or as a door prize item

See Ya There!

DOWNWIND

Back
Top Bottom