• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2012 Bullet Casting Workshop Sign-Up Thread (May 19)

Looks like I should have enough lead, I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow so I should be all set. Looking forward to this.

I got some tire weights from a local shop. 25#'s maybe.
All kinds of stuff in it though. Should I go through and seperate it?
Or bring it as-is?

Thanks,
~Matt

Or bring it as-is?

You don't absolutely have to go through it but I would strongly recommend that you do. There can be bad stuff in there that can emit toxic smoke/gas. It is also better to get any steel and especially zinc wheel weights out. There is a potential for serious contamination from zinc.

Thanks Exousia.

Any good way to identify zinc wheel weights?
I figured I would seperate them by similar look/color and then have them ok'd by the instructors.
Would a scratch test help in the ID?

Thanks Exousia.

Any good way to identify zinc wheel weights?
I figured I would seperate them by similar look/color and then have them ok'd by the instructors.
Would a scratch test help in the ID?

They're labeled right on the WW with a "Zn". It would be helpful to separate them, but as long as you smelt it correctly (heat slowly until the lead melts, and skim the rest) it should separate out with all the other dross. The difference between lead and Zinc melting temps is relatively narrow and if you melt any Zinc into the pot, everything needs to be completely scrapped along with any equipment it touches.

Since the melting temperatures only differ by about 165F degrees, you need to be careful not to crank the temperature too much or use a blowtorch which will fuse both metals together.

Last edited:
Or bring it as-is?

Thanks,
~Matt

Read this: Guide to Hand Sorting Wheel Weights best guide I've seen. You'll also have to get the razorblades, valve stems, and other assorted trash that gets thrown in with them out. A magnet will help ID the steel ones real quick.

Definitely sort it as best you can before the workshop. There won't be much time during or between sessions to mess with it. Do the best you can with it and perhaps someone can go over them with a second set of eyeballs tomorrow and check you work.

It wasn't mentioned originally up top and is not a requirement but just a helpful tip. Bring a folding / camp / lawn or other type chair with you tomorrow. [smile]

Last edited:
Sorry, I think I need to back out. A family emergency requires my attention tomorrow. I'll update this post if anything changes/improves.

What an awesome class!
Thanks to all who gave their time: John, Mark, Bob, Orville, Kevin.
And all who came to learn... an art.

Also, thanks to Shirley Rod and Gun. Nice range, nice clubhouse and very nice folks.

To those who were thinking about going but didn't/couldn't: Go next time, you won't regret it.

BONUS: So many free door prizes were given out, everyone got at least one and many got two; ranging from primed .223 cases (with projectiles) to casting books, lead ingots, powder scale, heavy storage buckets, sized and lubed bullets, .22 active target stand and a few other items.

Thanks again to all!
~Matt

Last edited:
I can't say enough good things about this workshop and the guys who put it on. It took a lot of the mystery out of the process and I think I am going to try it.

The instuctors gave geneously of there time and equipment and it is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Wil

Great time was had by all

Thanks to all the guys who gave so generously of their time and knowledge!!

Nothing better than to pass on something you enjoy to a whole new group of people.

Thanks Again
DOWNWIND

This was a GREAT workshop, I can't say enough thanks to the finest NES people who spent their precious time and put so many efforts for this workshop to happen:
John and Kevin for organizing the workshop,
Jim for providing the club grounds,
Orville, Bob and Mark for teaching us bullet lead casting, generously sharing their knowledge, letting us use their lead, equipment, etc., etc.
Guys, thank you, thank you, thank you. We, your grateful students, really appreciate your time and efforts, and will enjoy the fine hobby of bullet casting for long, long time.

A huge thank you going out to all who made this event a great success! I've been bit by the casting "bug" for sure. A great group of guys and a great learning experience. Can't wait to get started casting...and now I know how. Thanks again

-Bobbybats

Thank you for attending. Without some new people to share our knowledge with, the workshop would have just been a gathering of old NES friends.

As you can see, the process isn't rocket science. And, a LOT of raw material can be smelted in a relative short period of time. And, a lot of boolits can get cast in a short amount of time. And, finally, a lot of boolits can receive final prep rather quickly.

Making your own boolits removes the biggest cost from the reloading operation, leaving you with only powder and primers to pay for.

As you saw at the workshop, while some of the equipment is specialized (molds, sizing dies, bullet casting pot, etc), some of the equipment is cheap and easy to procure. And, you have some great ideas for where to find lead materials, etc.

So, why not cast? It's a fun and safe part of the hobby.

And, there are some additional ways to employ your new casting skills. If you're a fisherman, you can cast lead head jigs, deep sea weights, etc, etc, etc. Heck, they still make and sell molds for producing little lead army men. The kids today get to play with plastic versions, but I'm old enough to remember when the army men were made of lead, and painted.

Just remember the safety equipment, and the cautions that we suggested all day. Be safe.

I'm thrilled that we had great weather (Thanks, John, for making weather arrangements), and a good turnout.

Yes, It was a very good time and I learned plenty!

The more I listened to some of you there, the more I realize I have so much more to learn!. I will, and as Orville said "pass it along, teach others". That is what is the really important part about all this. There are some extremely knowledgeable people on this fourm and we are all greatful for what they pass along. We all need to get better at what we do and pass it along. Don't let this knowledge dwindle away.

Reps to you all for a job well done.

The raffle did have some awesome prizes! Mark and I scored some of awesome food grade buckets and some Carnauba Red lube that will certainly come in handy.... Much appreciate all those who donated prizes as well as those who worked hard to set this up and Shirley for be such a great host!

If Kevin's name hasn't been mentioned enough, it should be. He did a LOT of running around. Thanks, Kevin!!!

Duke. I got mentioned a couple of times but, Thanks. I didn't have to do too much running around besides, I don't get much occasion to drive the Old Jetta so, any excuse will do. [smile]

Yes, he says he gets the run around at work and at home also, so he is used to it.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Do I complain about it THAT much when we are smelting. [smile].

I'm late in my reply, sorry, had a full weekend, (Saturday casting workshop, Sunday up to Newburyport to bottom paint my father in law's boat and then help with landscaping at my brother in law's.) but, I just want to thank Bob, Marcus, Orville, Jim, and John, and the other John (Fixxah) for his donations.

Also I want to thank everyone that came Saturday, it was just as much a thrill for me to be a part of putting it on and seeing new casters get their first hands on as it was for you do attend if no more so.

I showed up at last year's workshop with a Lee 2 cavity mold and barely a clue. Since then I've smelted hundreds of pounds of range lead, casted thousands of bullets, purchased the rest of the tools needed, and moved up to some better quality custom molds. I still continue to learn more as I go but, I don't think I would have progressed to point I have in the time I have without that first hands-on learning I received at the workshop. More importantly however I was introduced to a great group of fellow casters and now friends. No book or video can do that and it is for me a good portion of the "value" in the casting workshop, the people.

I appreciate everyone's thanks but, most importantly for me, helping to put on the workshop for me was just to try to pay back / forward just a small amount of the great wealth of many things I gained from last year's workshop.

On a final note, if anyone is on the fence about spending the $50.00 on a propane burner for smelting DO IT! I should have bought one sooner, they are a handy thing to have around. My reward for helping my brother in law with landscaping yesterday was beer, steamers, and lobsters. So, the very same setup you guys were using to smelt your wheel weights on Saturday was setup in my brother in law's (mostly landscaped) backyard Sunday afternoon "smelting" up some tasty batches of steamers and lobsters (Yes! I used a different pot.... [wink]). When UPS dropped the burner off last week and I told my wife it was for smelting lead she looked at me cross, yesterday over steaming lobsters she said "Good purchase honey." [smile], I now consider it as having fully paid for itself.

Last edited:
Well, I still think that running down into Boston for the yellow buckets, and then all the way out to Shirley was above and beyond. Especially considering that the yellow buckets were YOUR karma gift, which you in turn donated to the cause. Amazing.

I've already had a bunch of follow up questions, and am happy to oblige.

You should all also sign up, if you haven't already, at castboolits.gunloads.com. Most of us serious casters here at NES are also members over there, and there's tons of casting opportunity to be had there.

Feel free to contact me or any of the more experienced casters with questions regarding your upcoming purchases, etc.

There's also the previous years workshop follow-ups to refer to. Lots of documented info in some of those older threads.

My burner, btw, doubles as the burner for my smoker. Life wouldn't be complete without a smoked turkey, smoked ribs, and some occasional smoked salmon.

Wasn't there, don't cast but used to (made my own jigs for fishing). Kind of getting my interest perked up again to be honest.

Just want to thank those who are passing on their knowledge to those who can carry it on and in turn teach our younger generation some of the finer arts of shooting practicality. Great stuff guys!!

Back
Top Bottom