2012 Boston Red Sox Megathread!!!!!

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Youk's first day back and he hit a home run!

Too bad the boys lost though.

At least the Yaks are losing at a quicker pace than the Sox lately. I think both teams are under .500.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Nice to see another team's pitcher having a bad inning for a change. Four hits with two outs, two of them home runs.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It's nice to see Pedroia bounce back from the hand injury and saltilamacchia is ripping the cover off the ball. Maybe there is hope this year

Sent from my telegraph

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Lester, Buchholz, Beckett, and Bard - 4/5ths of the starting rotation this year.. Best ERA of the bunch: 4.44. One not even in the majors currently. Best starter with five or more starts? Franklin freakin' Morales - the guy who just got sent back to the bullpen.

W. T. F.

Here's an interesting statistic.. The Red Sox are second in the league in runs scored - and just got back two players that should do well to increase that production - but are one game above .500.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Lester, Buchholz, Beckett, and Bard - 4/5ths of the starting rotation this year.. Best ERA of the bunch: 4.44. One not even in the majors currently. Best starter with five or more starts? Franklin freakin' Morales - the guy who just got sent back to the bullpen.

W. T. F.

Here's an interesting statistic.. The Red Sox are second in the league in runs scored - and just got back two players that should do well to increase that production - but are one game above .500.
They sent Morales back to the bull pen? Either Bobby Valentine is a moron or he's not making the decisions. Then again, those aren't mutually exclusive. Morales, Dubront, and Cook are their most reliable starters this year. We won't see Bard back this year, and probably never again as a starter. We'll see how Buchholtz does now that he's back, and I'm dubious either Beckett or Lester will get much better this year. They get killed in the first inning and even with the run production of the batters, it's often not enough. Same thing last night, compounded by Youk getting that three run dinger off of Lester.

Meh.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah. Did anyone in the postgame admit to making the foolish decision to allow Lester to pitch to Youkilis in that spot? First base open, Youk has been hot, Lester had no command, and pitching to a guy who crushes lefties anyway.. Somebody needs a slap in the mouth for not walking him and letting Lester face Dunn instead.

Jsfitzgerald85

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Crawford has looked pretty good so far granted its only 2 games, but he is making solid contact even on some of the outs he has hit into. 3 stolen bases last night. If he is the Crawford from Tampa him and Ellsbury 1 and 2 with a healthy Pedroia hitting 3rd that is a deadly top of the order. As far as Lester goes i have no idea, there has to be something going on. He has looked aweful, his temper on the mound is short, and he just hasnt been himself. Im going to go out on a limb here and say he doesnt care to much for Valentine. I really hope thats not the case because that would show he is a prima donna and letting it effect his performance.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Yeah. Did anyone in the postgame admit to making the foolish decision to allow Lester to pitch to Youkilis in that spot? First base open, Youk has been hot, Lester had no command, and pitching to a guy who crushes lefties anyway.. Somebody needs a slap in the mouth for not walking him and letting Lester face Dunn instead.
I don't know if anyone did, but Remy at least thought that's what they were doing. He mentioned it right before Youk whacked that ball into the Monster seats. Maybe Remy should be the manager. [thinking]

- - - Updated - - -

Crawford has looked pretty good so far granted its only 2 games, but he is making solid contact even on some of the outs he has hit into. 3 stolen bases last night. If he is the Crawford from Tampa him and Ellsbury 1 and 2 with a healthy Pedroia hitting 3rd that is a deadly top of the order. As far as Lester goes i have no idea, there has to be something going on. He has looked aweful, his temper on the mound is short, and he just hasnt been himself. Im going to go out on a limb here and say he doesnt care to much for Valentine. I really hope thats not the case because that would show he is a prima donna and letting it effect his performance.
I have a feeling Youk isn't the only one that doesn't care for Valentine. Still, they are professional ball players and are getting paid a lot of money. They should play like it and not like a bunch of pouty middle school girls.

turbo38gn

NES Member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I really don't get this "don't like Valentine' BS.. why does everything go back to Valentine... When Youk doesn't hit, It's because of Valentine.. now he's hitting.. for now... guess what... he wasn't hitting last year with Tito... same with the pitchers... people keep blaming Valentine for the pitcher.. guess again... they sucked with Tito the last month plus last year.. oh ya, well the hitters not hitting, that's Valentines fault too, when they don't hit for 5 games... opps , same thing happened last year with Tito.... but when they do hit... who takes credit.... lets face it guys, they will be entertaining this year.... but they will not win the WS, and guess what.... it has very little to do with Valentine either way.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Crawford has looked WORLDS looser at the plate the last couple nights. Night and day from most of his ABs last year.

If Lester's problem is not liking Valentine, the Sox need to void his contract for being a first grader! I think the issue is command and velocity; he can't hit his spots precisely inside the strike zone (see Youkilis' jack) and has to rear back to get 95 now... He used to live 93-95 all night long. He's either hurt, way out of shape, or doesn't give a crap any more. I think it's one or both of the first two, personally.

I don't know if anyone did, but Remy at least thought that's what they were doing. He mentioned it right before Youk whacked that ball into the Monster seats. Maybe Remy should be the manager. [thinking]

- - - Updated - - -

I have a feeling Youk isn't the only one that doesn't care for Valentine. Still, they are professional ball players and are getting paid a lot of money. They should play like it and not like a bunch of pouty middle school girls.
I was listening on the radio at that point, and Castiglione and his sidekick were shocked that Youk didn't get the IBB there.

I really don't get this "don't like Valentine' BS.. why does everything go back to Valentine... When Youk doesn't hit, It's because of Valentine.. now he's hitting.. for now... guess what... he wasn't hitting last year with Tito... same with the pitchers... people keep blaming Valentine for the pitcher.. guess again... they sucked with Tito the last month plus last year.. oh ya, well the hitters not hitting, that's Valentines fault too, when they don't hit for 5 games... opps , same thing happened last year with Tito.... but when they do hit... who takes credit.... lets face it guys, they will be entertaining this year.... but they will not win the WS, and guess what.... it has very little to do with Valentine either way.
Agreed - the manager really accounts for very little in the W-L record over the course of 162 games.. I like the way BV manages the bullpen, I think he did a great job handling the logjam at 1b/3b/of prior to the Youkilis trade, he seems to do well at the "lightning rod" role, and he doesn't make too many stupid in-game decisions (last night, of course, being an exception... if pitching to Youk was his fault) - granted he's a dick in the media sometimes, and I don't like the idea of publicly calling out your players.. But we were pretty well spoiled with Tito for a long time, and it's easy to forget that he was a special case both in player and media relations. BV isn't great, imo, but they could have done a hell of a lot worse.

turbo38gn

NES Member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
excellent points Pernox... I have to say.. I have mentioned over the years to my wife, I wonder if the cancer drugs, (steroids)I believe Lester was taking affected his performance...

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like the decision was between McClure and Lester...

"I knew what I was doing on that particular pitch. I knew I had a base open. I didn't care who was on deck. I didn't care if it was Reggie Jackson or Barry Bonds. I didn't care. I could start new. So yeah, I had an idea, I had a plan, I just didn't execute my plan. That's the frustrating thing. My plans are there, my ideas are there, me and Salty's pitch selections are there. We're mixing and matching first pitches, we're changing up sequences, we're changing up different things."
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8179592/jon-lester-remains-confident-struggles

Interesting article.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Oh come on. Do you guys think that MLB stars, like Youk, Lester, Beckett, Ortiz, etc. think the same way as us?

They want their labia to be stroked. If not, they go all angrykitty.

These grown men have been coddled their entire adult lives. They have thin skins and big egos. They wouldn't last half a day in my work life. It's too cutthroat.

I said long before the season started that this year was going to be the "sideshow bob" year, and I listed storylines. Youkilis was the obvious man out. He hated Ellsbury, Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Crawford, Ortiz, and the other prima donnas on this team. I've met Youk. He's a class A prick. He was likely a key divisive personality in the clubhouse.

But he's still a walking vag.

Sideshow Bob will be sacrificed at season's end. Then they'll bring in a familiar face residing to the north, replace the coaching staff, sell the fans on "look at how well our grubs performed! wasn't it exciting to see Nava come into his own?" sell some bricks, sell some seats, and perhaps put a more competitive team on the field - competitive enough to make the Fenway number.

I still think they'll be sellers come the deadline. Playing time for the grubs will be the rationale.

Oh yeah,

That's not what I want to do. I don't want to show up at the park and go, '[Expletive], I'm going to give up seven runs in four innings and call it a day, then go home and count my money because that's all that matters.
Is that a dig at Beckett?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
John Farrell would be welcomed with open arms.. Can't say I like his style of managing with all the bunting and crap, but listening to any pitcher that's ever commented on it, he's a pro at managing a staff. Hopefully they'd allow Farrell to do what they didn't allow Bobby V to do this year, also; choose his own coaching staff.

I don't see the Sox being sellers at the deadline with their obvious concern about public perception. This is a team that continues to trot out the sellout streak as if people still believe it, just to save face. I'd prefer to see them stand pat, but if they have to go shopping hopefully they're smart enough not to reach for a rental like Dempster, that would require at least a little legit minor league talent.. Garza would be palatable - he's on a two year deal and has a proven track record in the AL East. Someone would have to go next year, but too much starting pitching is never, ever a bad thing.

turbo38gn

NES Member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
WOW!!!! Go Cody Ross!!! As for the coach, what the heck is wrong with Valentine, he's doing a far better job "coaching" than some give him credit for.. Matter of fact, I think he's a lot more impressive than I thought he would be, especially now that he has a few months under his belt and is getting a better feel for his team.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sideshow Bob will be sacrificed at season's end. Then they'll bring in a familiar face residing to the north, replace the coaching staff, sell the fans on "look at how well our grubs performed! wasn't it exciting to see Nava come into his own?" sell some bricks, sell some seats, and perhaps put a more competitive team on the field - competitive enough to make the Fenway number.
John Farrell?

You mean Joe Madden, right?
I was replying to the bolded part of KT's post.. The Sox have had a man crush on Farrell for a long time, and were reported to have asked for permission to interview him this year, when a trade would have been necessary. When he was here as pitching coach, there was discussion of a front office position for him. I personally think he's their #1 target, with Maddon in a close second. I'd be happier with Maddon myself, being a bit of a stat geek - but again, Farrell certainly seems to know how to run a pitching staff, so I wouldn't be too upset to see him either.

Garza has anxiety issues. Boston is not the place for him.
In 40.2 career IP at Fenway, he sports a 3.54 ERA. In Yankee Stadium a 3.18, Rogers Centre a 1.78, The Trop a 3.36, and Camden Yards a 4.05.. To me, that says he can get it done in the AL East.

-edit- Though if he is an anxious person and doesn't like to be under the microscope, despite the fact that he seems to perform well, he certainly won't be resigning with the Cubs. Also likely would not be interested in an extension past the two years he's already on if he comes to BOS, either. Some guys, while they may perform well, just don't seem to like being in a big market atmosphere.. Greinke says hi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom