2012 Boston Red Sox Megathread!!!!!

Jsfitzgerald85

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So with pitchers and catchers reporting in about a month, id figure id start a thread.

Me personally i feel that this offseason has been a let down so far, even with the addition by subtraction regarding Lackey i still feel we are extremely short handed, we have no SS unless you count Iglesius, our 3rd Baseman has been injury prone, ( I personally would have liked to see them not resign Ortiz and move Youk to the DH or trade him outright) We have 3 proven starters in Beckett, Lester, and Bucholz, I have no idea how Bard is gonna do as a starter? Will Oswalt sign with the sox or is Miller gonna be the 5th starter. How will Bailey do as the new closer? Who is the back up catcher gonna be Lavarnway or Shoppach?

Last edited:

Jsfitzgerald85

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i approve of Heidi replacement, as far as sports mode i dont watch Hockey or Basketball and im a cowboys fan so bring on the baseball season [laugh]

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have not been following it to closely since they signed the new manager. I will just see what product they put out come spring. No matter how much I am not ready for the season yet but all it takes is a nice sunny day, windows down, driving home from work listening to the game and I am ready for Baseball to be back.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I think they're counting on Punto and Aviles to split SS. With Iglesias putting up sub-replacement-level numbers with the bat in the minors, I can't see them trying to rush him to the majors to the detriment of his long term offensive development. Sad to see Scutaro go, but if it means freeing up funds for an Oswalt/Jackson it's probably worth it. The offensive drop is slight if they're played properly by Bobby Valentine, and the defense improves a bit. The rotation fails to inspire confidence, with Lester and Beckett likely the only known quantities.

kiver

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
They need bats, and pitching....I am happy Valentine is here, but there is no talent (potential talent in Crawford and Buchholz and Beckett). I hate to see this all blamed on him. Not even a rebuilding year as there is no one in the future. This team was blown up

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I look at this 2012 Team and see some gaps that need to be filled and or tweaked RP and SS seem to be the big ones in my opinion, The past couple of seasons is what this team needed they needed to get knocked down a peg. Don't get me wrong I am as big of a RED SOX fan there is, but I think they tought they would just end up being one of the top dogs left at the end of the year. They ARE a talented team and if anyone say's different then they don't know Baseball The Sox became complacent and didn't buy into Francona's plan maybe, just maybe they got the wake up call they needed. Only time will tell as they gear up for the upcoming 2012 season but if they didn't get the picture then All the TALENT in the world doesn't matter if they don't play as a team then they will be the odd one out again this year.

Jsfitzgerald85

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Personally i think Valentine was only hired to bridge the gap to Farrel and the owners are setting up the team so Valentine will fail and they can fire him without to much outrage

rep308

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
85 wins, third in the division behind the Yanks and Rays, Rays and Oakland get the two wild card births, Sox's on the golf course Oct 1st. Oh and Papi bats 224 with 22 home runs and 71 RBI and is a major bitch fest all year long because of the one year contract. Think the Sox of 1993-1996

Sellout streak ends late July

Jsfitzgerald85

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well the Sox and Ortiz avoid arbitration 1 year 14.175 million. And the Sox still need to get the compensation from the Cubs for Epstein. This year is gonna be brutal, no depth what so ever

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Tim Bogar, who is addition by subtraction going from 3b coach to bench coach, has a few things to say. Spring Training is going to be more rigorous, and the team will be more fundamentally sound, according to Mr. Bogar.

“Bobby had told me over there they worked for a long time and did a lot of things and over here they don't work as long as they do there. But what we're trying to implement this year is that they're all going to be doing some type of baseball activity at all times during practice, so there's not a lot of standing around. There's not a lot of dead time,” Bogar explained. “There's a lot of different activity during the actual workout this year.

“I think what's going to jump out to them is all the skill work and the detail work that is being worked on constantly on all six fields down here. You're going to have your live BP, but you're also going to have guys working on pickoff plays, baserunning, reading balls off the bat, you're going to have guys standing in tracking pitches and doing all kind of things. You're not going to see the normal stand around the cage, watch batting practice and stand in the outfield and shag. Instead of shagging, players are going to be doing baseball activity which will benefit them in the long run.”
http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/b...red-sox-spring-training-gets-face-lift-thanks

Maybe they can get off to a .500+ start this year rather than the 2-8 that they started off 2012 with...

Incidentally, I don't care much who the bench coach is, but bully for Bogar - this job will beat the hell out of seeing him send Ortiz home from 2nd on a lazy Jeterian flare to the RF.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Valentine is less of a "players coach" than Francona was. Whether that's good or bad, we'll find out soon enough. He's doesn't seem to be pulling punches in his interviews, saying what he likes and what he doesn't like. We'll see if replacing the entire medical staff works out. So far there seem to be a lot of pre season injuries cropping up.

In more cheerful news, Jenny Dell is a player. [grin]

turbo38gn

NES Member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Is this a surprise to anyone. They didn't hit or pitch for shit last year and the majority of the key figures are ....................................... the same!!! I feel bad for Valentine, he's been getting hammered and he has nothing to do with this team anymore than Terry did. The players win and lose the games!!! Oh well, I still love em, they are our team... and the bottom line, even the Yankees can't win em all!!! or all the World Series.. We got 2 in our lifetime!!!

Top Bottom