2011 CT State IDPA Championship

Thanks to all of the SOs and staff that braved the elements today! They really espouse the spirit of volunteering.

Can't be expressed enough imo, Thank you to all that worked the event. Shooting and working over the course of three days is a huge commitment for most. Hot and muggy on Saturday and the Downpour making lake like stages on Sunday, I do hope every squad made an attempt to thank thier SOs personally.

Thanks to all the hard working staff for enduring the heat, humidity, downpours, and mud .. and more mud to bring New England perhaps the most humbling yet rewarding IDPA match in memory. And kudo's to all the shooters and staff alike for having prevailed the incredibly challenging stages!

Sorry to hear, M1911, I hope the gun is OK?
Yup. The good news is that it lodged between the forcing cone and cylinder, locking up the gun and preventing me from firing another round. Gene, Aaron, and Dave all helped me clear the gun, so I could continue the match with my primary. But my time on that stage is gonna suck.

I've had a squib before, recognized it immediately, and stopped. But this time I pulled the trigger, didn't get a bang, knew I didn't get a bang, but didn't recognize the significance, and tried to pull the trigger again. It could have been expensive.

Yup. The good news is that it lodged between the forcing cone and cylinder, locking up the gun and preventing me from firing another round. Gene, Aaron, and Dave all helped me clear the gun, so I could continue the match with my primary. But my time on that stage is gonna suck.

I've had a squib before, recognized it immediately, and stopped. But this time I pulled the trigger, didn't get a bang, knew I didn't get a bang, but didn't recognize the significance, and tried to pull the trigger again. It could have been expensive.

That was really strange Jared- I didn't hear a thing either, nothing! I've heard many primer only rounds go off and you usually hear it. Glad you got it fixed. You look like you're shooting SSR really well recently too.

Yeah- the conditions were challenging to say the least... but it was a great time getting to see everyone. I do think my feet will have permanent wrinkles in them from all the water!

That was really strange Jared- I didn't hear a thing either, nothing! I've heard many primer only rounds go off and you usually hear it. Glad you got it fixed. You look like you're shooting SSR really well recently too.
I know, and you were right by my right shoulder when it happened. I saw the hammer go down, didn't hear anything, realized it didn't fire, but didn't think squib. Doh. At least it stuck in the forcing cone.

Looking at Eisenhow's video, my reloads were smooth and pretty fast. I didn't focus on my front sight well enough on some stages, resulting in some misses. I still need to get faster and more accurate. My draw is reasonably fast, but there is a big delay before my first shot as I acquire the front sight. Practice, practice, practice.

This was an excellent match. Some had to face the heat, others the rain. It's always interesting being on the other side of the timer. You meetso many different personality types, and encounter so many different situations, especially in the conditions we had at this match. Mike and team organizes and Runs a smooth event.

Great match! There were lots of interesting and challenging stages. Thanks to all the SO's who took their time to put this match on. It looks like I made a wise choice shooting Saturday.

Here is how not to shoot it:
[video=youtube_share;i0H70WqcSkA]http://youtu.be/i0H70WqcSkA[/video]

Yeah- the conditions were challenging to say the least... but it was a great time getting to see everyone. I do think my feet will have permanent wrinkles in them from all the water!
I'm so glad I was squadded on Saturday. Sunday must have been miserable for both shooters and SOs.

Results are up: http://www.matchreg.com/results/08-06-11.htm

I didn't think I shot that well, but somehow my score was good enough for 3rd in SSP/SS and a bump to EX. I'm sure it helped that half the competitors had to shoot in the rain. I've gotta get practicing to live up to the EX classification.

Congrats to new ESP/MA WeedWhacker, SSP/MA KenL, and fellow SSP/EX CWO Barber.

Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay me! Also I'm a Military Veteran, not active military. Who do I contact to correct that?

Oh, sorry WW. I just looked it up in the rulebook. If they're all within your class, you have to be the best of 10, if you go into the next class, you have to BEAT 10. You were the best of 8 and beat two MA's, but apparently that's not as good as being the best of 10 EX. What a shocker, an inconsistency in the IDPA rulebook.

Back
Top Bottom