2011 Annual Cast Bullet Workshop - May 21st 2011 - Shirley Rod & Gun Club

The event will be held at Shirley Rod and Gun Club (Thanks, Jim!) and will start at 10:00 AM. Jim also mentions that the club will open it's kitchen for lunch. So, we don't have to worry about that. We can concentrate our efforts on casting, etc.

Bob J and his son Mark are joining me in co-hosting this event again!

This thread will serve as the Sign Up thread. We need to get a sense for how many will be attending. I know we will have some walk ins, and that's fine.

Note: All attendees will be obligated to bring 20 pounds of raw wheel weights or 20 pounds of range lead to the event. See below - You'll get to take most of your lead home with you, some gets skimmed out in the smelting operation, as dross. Your processing of the raw lead will NOT be done in the way that we did it last year. Each mini group will process their lead as part of their mini session. We'll cover that with the announcements at the beginning of the day.

Link to Shirley Rod and Gun Club Web Site

Directions to the Shirley Rod and Gun Club

Schedule:

* 8:30 - 9:00 Am - Arrival and Set Up of Equipment for organizers. You know who you are.
* 9:30 Arrival and Registration for workshop participants - Please try to be on time. We really need to get the workshop rolling at 10:00. Coffee and donuts available, bring $$$
*10:00 Workshop begins Begin Smelting Session and announcements
*10:30 - noon: First round of mini workshops - see below for explanation
* Noon - 1:00 - LUNCH prepared by the club, bring money!
* 1:00 - 2:30 - Second Round of mini workshops
* 2:30 - 4:00 - Third and last round of mini-workshops
* 4:00 - Wrap Up and departure.

Mini workshops: We are changing the way we do the workshop, so that we can effectively handle more people. During registration, we will break the registered participants up into mini groups. Each mini-group will be assigned to each of three sessions, following a schedule, and during the course of the day, each will have covered the entire process in a complete way (albeit not in exact order of the process). Each session will have a group leader.
The sessions will be:

Session A:
Raw Smelting - Converting raw materials into usable and clean lead alloys. This is when you will have the chance to convert your range lead or raw wheel weights into your ingots. Group Leader: DukeInMaine

Session B: Mold Prep, slugging your barrel, gas checks, lube choices, and lubricizing Group Leader: Bob_J

Session C: Casting bullets in the molds, Group Leader: Marcus5aurelius

To repeat for the sake of clarity, each participant will get to participate in each of those classes. But they will be done in smaller groups. The groups will be assigned after registration at 10AM. The hope and expectation is that you will get a chance to cover each subject with the group leader in a more one on one and hands on way. The day will flow faster, and be easier on everyone. Depending on which group you are in, you might do session B first (in round 1) and then session A second (in round 2), and then session C last (in round three).

I will be getting the group leader assignments from Mark Johnson.

PLEASE: If you will be attending and participating, please indicate that so that we can have equipment on site to handle the mini groups. The bottle neck session might be the casting bullets. We want to make sure we have enough pots and molds on hand to handle the size of those groups. Example: 30 people divided by three groups = 10 people in a group all wanting to cast bullets. I have a running list of people who have committed to being there, and I need to add your name to the list if you are joining us. This is a free event, so there's no issue with commitments (other than making them).

We have free raffle items, and are looking for more donations. We'd appreciate it if folks would contact the manufacturers, and ask for donations. Any of the gun shops who would donate anything would also be appreciated. In addition to being a learning experience for casting bullets, we hope to also add a level of fun to the day.

We'll also be running a yard sale/swap meet for those looking to buy, sell, trade casting and reloading supplies. NO GUNS! Nothing that would not be allowed! No exceptions! Anything else is OK. I'm already hearing that people are planning on bringing stuff for the yard sale/swap meet table.

In the event of rain, the event will still run to the same schedule. There's a covered porch to protect the molten lead from rain. So, please plan on attending even if the forecast is for rain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have linked the previous year's threads, and discussions for reference. Those are below.

2011 Initial Discussion Thread

2010 Workshop Link

2009 Workshop Link

2009 Follow Up Thread

Additional 2009 Follow Up Thread

General Casting Details

Pictures from the very first cast bullets workshop

If any questions, if you'd like to volunteer for segments of this workshop, please PM me.

The IN List so far:
DukeInMaine
Bob_J
Marcus5aurelius
ZipTar
Michael J Spangler
Eddie Coyle
redtail
JackO
steveumd
JRyan
HiggityHank
R1ch
The Goose
Slowdive
01SVTvert & Son
Capt Walt
Exousia
Shirley Club Member
Shirley Club Member
Shirley Club Member
Shirley Club Member
Shirley Club Member
[STRIKE]namedpipes[/STRIKE]
darrowj
Boris
wtfooptimax200 and brother
rbertalotto
sffar

Last edited:
One of my buddies over at castboolits is sending some freebie samples of materials to use as giveaways at the May event. I'll contact Lyman and see what I can do for donations. Anyone have any other ideas???

I'm on vacation in SUNNY and WARM Florida for three weeks.

When I return, we should start planning for this event in earnest.

In the meantime, we could use some suggestions for how to make this years event even better. What does everyone need to know? We'll do everything we can to accommodate everyone.

I have some lube recipe components coming from RandyRat from Castboolits. Carnuba wax, lanolin, etc. We'll raffle that off!

Could others please see what they can scrounge for donations from shops, etc, for additional raffle items????

Maybe we could also think of some items that we could set out as "NES cast bullet workshop mini flea market" items... Put a tag and a price on your items... NO GUNS......... That OK, E/C???

I'm counting on Bob and Mark assisting as co-hosts for the event. Bob/Mark, while I am away, maybe you can jump in and help set up the timing/sequence of events/who's doing what.... pretty please???

Off to the beach before it gets too hot............(pushing 90 today)

Last edited:
I'm counting on Bob and Mark assisting as co-hosts for the event. Bob/Mark, while I am away, maybe you can jump in and help set up the timing/sequence of events/who's doing what.... pretty please???

Hey Duke, Sorry I didn't reply sooner (I've been really busy with work and didn't notice the thread despite the sticky [slap]) I told EC a while back informally that my father and I would be happy to co-host this event [smile] I'll have to get back to you as far as the specific planning goes. I need to discuss it with my father a little more and take into consideration what attendees would like to learn. If some of the people who are planning on attending have recommendations on what they would like to explore we can weave that into the schedule.

I am interested. I am particularly interested in 45-70, should I try to acquire my own mould in advance, or is that one of the castings that is typically done as part of the workshop?

I am interested. I am particularly interested in 45-70, should I try to acquire my own mould in advance, or is that one of the castings that is typically done as part of the workshop?

I might be able to help you.... I have a mold that I use for my Marlin that I can bring and you can use...[wink]

For the other attendees that are looking to cast for a particular caliber, be sure to post what you need so we can see if we can round up a mold for you.....

I cast for the 45/70. I have 2 Lyman Molds, a 500 gr. roundnose and a 535 postell. I also have a Lee that casts a 340 gr flat point. I will bring them along.

Bob, I know you've got every .500mag mold known to man, if you could bring a couple along that'd be great. I've got the Lee mold that I'll also be bringing so I can get the swing of using it. (it was on the uber clearance from Midway.)

Does the lead have to be wheel weights, or range? I've got some recovered lead that I've been hanging on to, but no WW/Range stuff.

No problem.... The only cast bullet I have found I need pure WW alloy for is the spire point and that is to protect the sharp "spire" from damage during handling..... All my others either use a 50/50 WW/range lead mix or a pure range lead mix.... Its all good in the 500....

Will bring a bunch of 500 molds for you to play with.....[wink]

Bob, I know you've got every .500mag mold known to man, if you could bring a couple along that'd be great. I've got the Lee mold that I'll also be bringing so I can get the swing of using it. (it was on the uber clearance from Midway.)

Does the lead have to be wheel weights, or range? I've got some recovered lead that I've been hanging on to, but no WW/Range stuff.

Shirley Workshop

Hi,
Saw workshop mentioned on Castboolits and live in area.
Pretty new to casting and would love to attend.
Didn't know if it was alright to bring along a couple of friends who just don't do "the computer thing" therefore can't register

Please Advise

THANKS-DOWNWIND

No problem..... Bring em along....[wink]

Hi,
Saw workshop mentioned on Castboolits and live in area.
Pretty new to casting and would love to attend.
Didn't know if it was alright to bring along a couple of friends who just don't do "the computer thing" therefore can't register

Please Advise

THANKS-DOWNWIND

Casting Seminar

Sorry folks; won't be able to make it have a family obligation[sad2]
Wish I could be there

THANKS-DOWNWIND

For the other attendees that are looking to cast for a particular caliber, be sure to post what you need so we can see if we can round up a mold for you.....

When I do start casting, I intend to use the Lee 452-255-RF mold if someone has one. Although I may have one of my own by the time the workshop rolls around.

While the Lee molds are cheap and popular, the majority of the serious casters are using custom made molds. I haven't looked up the mold that you ask about, but most of the custom molds use lube grooves instead of the shallow Lee tumble lube grooves. We will have plenty o of the custom mold there at the event

Duke,
Thanks for the info, and I look forward to checking out some customs molds. I figure the Lee is good enough to get me started and its the only production mold I've found for the weight and bullet I want, which is 255 grain RNFP.

Its got Standard Lube grooves.

Lee_90349_255g_452_RNFP_452-255-RF.jpg

You'll be thrilled to know that there is a custom mold group buy currently active at castboolits:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=109753

It's exactly what you were looking for, except this version is WONDERFUL!!! The Lee molds don't always line up halves correctly, and aren't always completely round.
And, you can buy as many as five cavities!!!!

Be there or be square, as we used to say ( a million years ago). You have to get in on group buys when they are active. Some of the popular ones get additional molds made, but there's no guarantee. Tell Swede (Al Nelson) that Duke In Maine sent you.

Duke,
Thanks for the info, and I look forward to checking out some customs molds. I figure the Lee is good enough to get me started and its the only production mold I've found for the weight and bullet I want, which is 255 grain RNFP.

Its got Standard Lube grooves.

Lee_90349_255g_452_RNFP_452-255-RF.jpg

Thanks Again Duke!

I did see that GB on cast boolits, I would have jumped but A) My Marlin slugs to .451 and I wasn't ready to buy a Luber-Sizer yet. and B) I just bought some reloading equipment.

Maybe I can scratch up the funds for one in the next week or two and maybe get in on it. If I had too I could get by with this and my arbor press for a while. [smile]

Lee_452_Pan_Lube_and_Resize_kit_01.jpg

Lee_452_Pan_Lube_and_Resize_kit_02.jpg

The Alox kit that you showed is for the micro-groove type bullets, and and for pan lubing pre-sized lube groove bullets. Sizing, which is very important to do, is handled in a punch type tool, very slow when you're trying to make hundreds of bullets. Just changing the alloy you use will directly affect the final diameter of the casting.

Also, you'll find that even with the Lee molds, you'll never hit an exact diameter that you are searching for, with an AS-CAST bullet. And, the Lee bullets, as suggested in my earlier post, won't be as round (they'll be kind of egg shaped) as you'll get from a custom mold. That has to do with the way they are machined.

You'll see all about how it's all done at the workshop. Including tips and suggestions for where to get stuff, how to save money (for example, buying the "White Label version, called "XLOX" is far cheaper - about a quart for the price of Lee's 4 ounces- ). And, when and why to use one lube vs another. It's not really always one lube fits all when it comes to lubricating cast bullets.

Last edited:
Also, you'll find that even with the Lee molds, you'll never hit an exact diameter that you are searching for, with an AS-CAST bullet.

I have a couple of Lee molds but won't buy any more. The six-cavity .357/.38 Lee mold I have throws two different sized bullets. Some of them are so large that sizing causes lead to smear into (and obscure) the too-shallow crimp groove. I have to sort the bullets before lubing/sizing. I size the big ones to .359" and use them to load .38 S&W.

Duke,
Thanks again. That's why I'm glad you guys are doing the workshop. I've got loads to learn yet about casting.

I wasn't planning on using Alox or substitutes. I was planning on standard lube I've got most of the stuff to make Ed"s Red thats collected just from working on the car.

I'm sure by the end of the day you guys will have me straightend out. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom