• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2010 Upland Bird Season Are you ready?

beangado

NES Member
2010 Upland bird season starts next weekend. Are you ready? I got a new citori and have been breaking clays with like crazy.

Have you done anything special to prepare? Have you pick out a good spot to hunt?

got everything. just need to clean and lube my gun. got new boots at bass pro today. $80 on sale for $50.

I'm thinking of going out to Myles Standish this Saturday for upland bird, my first time hunting, figured I'd go out my first time and see how it goes.

I just ordered the gear for my dog, should be here later this week. this is both me and the puppies first year hunting. pretty amped to get out in the field.

Went hunting on Friday and Monday... Friday was rainy and windy all day (NH) but Monday was absolutely beautiful. From what I've read so far grouse numbers are pretty low this year.

Moses and I are ready, I just need to decide if I'm taking my 20ga O/U or my 16ga SXS

Going out to townsend WMA tomorrow to poke around and see how the pup does. still getting the dog used to the bell [laugh]

im gonna hit up bolton tommrow sometime probably afternoon becuase i suppose it will be mobbed expecialy the red barn.

The birds at Bolton will just run into the thickets when they see the dogs or people go by. Walk along the really heavy bush and you can literally pick them up as they hold real tight. If you kick them to have them fly up, you'll risk having 6 other guns go off right over your head. I have quit Bolton just for that reason unless I can go during the weekday.

On a side note Bolton has the most snakes and frogs I have ever seen. Gardners, black, rats and corns. They all thrive there.

Yea. I had plans to be out at 6:30 but I'm gonna go at like 2-3pm. Weather supposed to be better, won't be 500 people out. Anybody go to Martin Burns?

On a side note Bolton has the most snakes and frogs I have ever seen. Gardners, black, rats and corns. They all thrive there.

definately a ton of them out their i remember one time i went and everything was alive with frogs i figured id hold off till later in the day on the hunting for that reason.

nothing scares me more than hunting and not knowing where the other pepole are i dont really feel like getting peppered through a hedgerow or something because its so crowded.

i found exactly what you were talking about with the brush last year i was basicly just stomping around in the bushes on the woodline and i flushed many that were unshootable they just flew into thickets.

Well had a great Morning, Moses the wonder dog put up two hens and a rooster, the rooster took two hit and didn't go down. I had two hens in my bag 20 minutes after opening time.

Speaking of opening time, why is it every time I hunt some yahoos are in the woods shooting before legal time?

Any suggestions for a first time pheasant hunter? Gun is sighted and patterned, got ammo, got orange, anything special I need that I would have no clue about?
Thanks

Speaking of opening time, why is it every time I hunt some yahoos are in the woods shooting before legal time?

Why is it I see the same vehicles parked at a local WMA anytime the chicken delivery truck's made a recent visit? Sportsmen. ha! They should take up golf.

Why is it I see the same vehicles parked at a local WMA anytime the chicken delivery truck's made a recent visit? Sportsmen. ha! They should take up golf.

Its sort of golf with a shotgun.

Seriously, I hunt birds more fro my dog than myself. My dog is never happier than when he's hunting.

i go to martin burns once and a while. only if i can get there on a weekday or saturday afternoon. way too crowded otherwise. looks like a pumpkin patch on saturday mornings. went there last saturday afternoon and saw the biggest ring neck i ever saw.

pup got her first bird

IMG_0071.jpg

Back
Top Bottom