• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2010 New England Region IDPA Match, August 14-15- Registraton is open!

Thank god I checked, or those last couple of rounds were going to be hard to produce! I think I'll go ahead and bring 250, not because I'm going to need any makeup shots, but just in case there's a prop malfunction, and I have to reshoot. Right, Lugnut?

See (some of) you guys at 7:45 on Saturday.

Thank god I checked, or those last couple of rounds were going to be hard to produce! I think I'll go ahead and bring 250, not because I'm going to need any makeup shots, but just in case there's a prop malfunction, and I have to reshoot. Right, Lugnut?

[wink] Yep.

Man this site is great , that was one of my questions answered ( round count ) 250 to be safe .... the other is what time > to be safe and ready to go ..[thinking] I have a Saturday 9:00 am group ......[smile] figured asking you guy's that have been through this a hundred or so times [wink] appreciate it .

I'm in Squad 14 on Saturday. My fiancee will likely be tagging along, but no hat-camera after all. Can't wait for this match; it will be my first 'Major' match of any sort.

The times really haven't been posted, but they are (according to the metrowesttactical website):

SCHEDULE:

Saturday: Registration starts at 7:45 am (in Clubhouse)
Shooters meeting at 8:30 am (in Clubhouse)
First shots at 9:00 am

Sunday: Registration starts at 8:45 am (in Clubhouse)
Shooters meeting at 9:30 am (in Clubhouse)
First shots at 10:00 am

Maybe someone could put these in the OP?

Last edited:
Thanks appreciate it , takes me about 1 hr 15 min..... man its going to be a long day [laugh] I am in Squad 12, my first too , never shot more than 6 stages 14 should be a hoot ........see you there...........[grin]

Can't wait for this match; it will be my first 'Major' match of any sort.

Things to keep in mind, coming from club matches:

With this many stages, one bad stage doesn't kill you like it does in a 5/6 stage club match. In the same way, don't let a good run go to your head. After each stage, let it go and shoot the next stage like it's the only one.

It's a long day especially in the August heat. Drink plenty of water and every once in a while some gatorade or the like. I like to bring some gatorade powder and mix it weak in the water provided. Also, bring a snack or two.

Things to keep in mind, coming from club matches:

With this many stages, one bad stage doesn't kill you like it does in a 5/6 stage club match. In the same way, don't let a good run go to your head. After each stage, let it go and shoot the next stage like it's the only one.

It's a long day especially in the August heat. Drink plenty of water and every once in a while some gatorade or the like. I like to bring some gatorade powder and mix it weak in the water provided. Also, bring a snack or two.

Thanks for the advice!

To be honest, I'm most worried about how we're going to fit 14 stages (with big squads) into one day without shooting past dusk. It sounds like with an average of 11.5 or so rounds per stage, many stages will be short (revolver friendly?), which might help.

I'll have to pack some extra liquids, and calories; I think that's a good insight. IDPA isn't exactly the most athletic activity, but I expect one would be somewhat tired from sprinting from P1 to P2 by the end of the 14 stages.

Last edited:
If you're worried about finishing all of the stages before dusk... be proactive about getting everyone in your squad to help out with taping, etc. [grin] That will take up most of the time.

Thanks for the advice!

To be honest, I'm most worried about how we're going to fit 14 stages (with big squads) into one day without shooting past dusk. It sounds like with an average of 11.5 or so rounds per stage, many stages will be short (revolver friendly?), which might help.

I'll have to pack some extra liquids, and calories; I think that's a good insight. IDPA isn't exactly the most athletic activity, but I expect one would be somewhat tired from sprinting from P1 to P2 by the end of the 14 stages.

Having dedicated staff that doesn't have to shoot helps a lot with how fast you can turn shooters. Also, generally the experience level of the shooters is higher. There aren't as many questions at walkthroughs, people are better about helping reset, and there's not as much futzing around.

It's not the actual shooting activity that wears you out, it's being on your feet in the sun all day. If you work outside, you're probably used to it, but for this office worker it's a big change.

It's not the actual shooting activity that wears you out, it's being on your feet in the sun all day. If you work outside, you're probably used to it, but for this office worker it's a big change.

If figured that HSC would just turn on the outside air-conditioner, no?[grin] Hopefully, there will be alot of stages that start in a seated position.

So it sounds like it might get a little wet on Friday and Sunday, which might be a good thing on the heat.

If figured that HSC would just turn on the outside air-conditioner, no?[grin] Hopefully, there will be alot of stages that start in a seated position.

So it sounds like it might get a little wet on Friday and Sunday, which might be a good thing on the heat.

The air conditioner keeps breaking. Personally, I'd rather sweat my ass off than shoot in the rain. It's pretty miserable and really slows the match down if it's heavy enough to require bagging targets.

If you're worried about finishing all of the stages before dusk... be proactive about getting everyone in your squad to help out with taping, etc. [grin] That will take up most of the time.

Excellent advice. With large squads on Saturday- you will have PLENTY of help to tape/reset props. On deck guy gets ready to shoot. Last shooter reloads mags. Everyone else can help. It should go well.

The air conditioner keeps breaking. Personally, I'd rather sweat my ass off than shoot in the rain. It's pretty miserable and really slows the match down if it's heavy enough to require bagging targets.

And then the bags eventually drag down the ever-softening cardboard, so the targets all look like they're bowing down, and the tape refuses to stick to the targets.

Shooting in the rain definitely sucks.

You shooters are high maintenance!!! It will be easy! Just consider that the SOs will be there Sat-Sun all day, have likely shot the match Friday and set up all week beforehand. Now stop feeling so bad for yourselves and shoot the best you can! [wink]

You shooters are high maintenance!!! It will be easy! Just consider that the SOs will be there Sat-Sun all day, have likely shot the match Friday and set up all week beforehand. Now stop feeling so bad for yourselves and shoot the best you can! [wink]

I assume you'll also be going around to each pit and serving complementary lemon-waters, crab-cakes, and other hors doeurves. Also, when does the valet parking become available?[wink]

I assume you'll also be going around to each pit and serving complementary lemon-waters, crab-cakes, and other hors doeurves. Also, when does the valet parking become available?[wink]

We had armed parking attendants at Worcester on Saturday.

I'm glad I'm shooting Fri and working Sat/Sun this time rather than working Fri/Sat and shooting Sun. That was a good idea on paper, but not so much in practice. Still, you definitely take a performance hit for working matches.

Are spectators welcome to watch the competition? I missed the last practice and just found out the practice on the 16th is cancelled. So I need to at least find a way to watch some IDPA without resorting to hat cams on youtube.

Are spectators welcome to watch the competition? I missed the last practice and just found out the practice on the 16th is cancelled. So I need to at least find a way to watch some IDPA without resorting to hat cams on youtube.

I have assumed so. My fiancee is coming along to spectate (or at least, get bored and leave).

Anyone know for sure? Obviously, spectators will need eyes and ears, but I don't see why it would be an issue.

Ready and very excited , don't forget if you shoot on Saturday Bass River has a shoot Sunday [wink] after 14 stages not sure but I am going to try .[smile] sorry wasn't trying to high jack the thread. [rolleyes]

Who's EXCITED!!

Ok fine I will admit it I'm excited for a few reasons. First shooting it[smile]

Second working the match, its amazing the amount of detail that goes into a match. As things draw closer I am seeing even more work that I did not even know was going on in the background....

3rd working the match as an SO, I'm going to have one of the best seats in the house watching every shooter run... I find I learn allot from this...

Just finished loading 300 rounds of 9mm. Hopefuly the last batch I load without a case feeder. I'm looking forward to this match. I'm trying not to think too much or put pressure or expectations on my performance. Just gonna focus on seeing the sights on target and pressing the trigger.

3rd working the match as an SO, I'm going to have one of the best seats in the house watching every shooter run... I find I learn allot from this...

This is one of the benefits of working a major match that I really enjoy. There are 23 Master class shooters signed up for the NER and it is a learning experience to see how shooters at this level prepare and attack the course. Not to mention, several folks who are currently Experts are going to get bumped to Master in this match...

IDPA, and all the disciplines for that matter, are volunteer sports... Take a SO class, get involved and you will be rewarded with some awesome experiences.

Looking forward with excitement to seeing you all this weekend,

John Catterall
NER Match Director

This match has all kinds of goodies for shooters. It will surely test all of your skills. I feel bad for the folks that couldn't make this one!

Who's EXCITED!!

Super excited. Finished up with the chrono today and have my loads dialed in. Finally splurged for a vest (only took 2 years) and I've been dry firing all week in prep. Every time my daughter starts hearing the buzzer go off she comes yelling to the basement door - "Dad, u do dat?"

Back
Top Bottom