• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2008 Metalic Silhouette Matches in NH

New England shooters. I grew up in New England but moved around the country and when I lived in Texas I was exposed to and became addicted to Silhouette. I am now in NH and Silhouette is very much alive and well! The nearest program that I have found is in Albany, NY which is a great match but, given the future price of gas, is a bit of a haul.

So. Here are the matches I know of in NH. ME, VT, MA, CT, RI...if they are happening I am not aware of them and they are not NRA approved. These are NRA approved if you happen to be that serious.

I will add, they also shoot 1/2 size animals with iron sights or scope. They call it Club Rifle and is a great way to get your toes wet. Of course they also shoot SB Cowboy, PC Cowboy, 1/5th or SB hunter and SB standard. Even a little air rifle is being offered. And, for those who want to shoot Cowboy Lever Action Pemi has started that as well.

email questions or post here. [email protected].

2008 Match Schedule NH area matches

Saturday, March 15, 2008 Peterborough PC Cowboy + trigger time
Saturday, April 19, 2008 Peterborough PC Cowboy + trigger time
Sunday, May 11, 2008 Purgatory All disciplines ex CLA
Sunday, May 18, 2008 Pioneer All disciplines ex CLA
Sunday, May 25, 2008 Pemigewasset All disciplines ex CLA
Sunday, June 08, 2008 Purgatory All disciplines ex CLA
Sunday, June 15, 2008 Pioneer All disciplines ex CLA
Saturday, June 21, 2008 Pemigewasset CLA 200y (new)
Sunday, June 22, 2008 Pemigewaseet All disciplines ex CLA
Sunday, June 29, 2008 Pioneer 1/5th & Air only (new)
Saturday, July 12, 2008 Purgatory NH State Pistol Championship (major event)
Sunday, July 13, 2008 Purgatory All disciplines ex CLA
Sunday, July 20, 2008 Pioneer All disciplines ex CLA
Sunday, July 27, 2008 Pioneer 1/5th & Air only (new)
Sunday, August 03, 2008 Pioneer 1/5th & Air only (new)
Sunday, August 10, 2008 Purgatory All disciplines ex CLA
Saturday, August 16, 2008 Pioneer Granite State Regional (major event day 1)
Sunday, August 17, 2008 Pioneer Granite State Regional (major event day 2)
Saturday, August 23, 2008 Pemigewasset CLA 200y (new)
Sunday, August 24, 2008 Pemigewasset All disciplines ex CLA
Sunday, September 07, 2008 Pioneer 1/5th & Air only (new)
Sunday, September 14, 2008 Purgatory All disciplines ex CLA
Sunday, September 21, 2008 Pioneer All disciplines ex CLA
Sunday, September 28, 2008 Pemigewasset All disciplines ex CLA
Sunday, October 05, 2008 Pioneer 1/5th & Air only (new)
Sunday, October 12, 2008 Purgatory All disciplines ex CLA
Saturday, October 18, 2008 Peterborough PC Cowboy + trigger time
Sunday, October 19, 2008 Pioneer All disciplines ex CLA
Saturday, November 15, 2008 Peterborough PC Cowboy + trigger time
Saturday, December 20, 2008 Peterborough PC Cowboy + trigger time

Pioneer Sportsman Inc., Dunbarton, NH Mike Page [email protected]
Purgatory Falls Fish & Game Club Mont Vernon NH John Livingston [email protected]
Pemigewasset Holderness, NH John Bartlett [email protected]
Peterborough Gun Club Peterborough, NH Eric Resseguie [email protected]
General questions Hopkinton, NH Jud Durant [email protected]

Here is a good link for some basics about silhouette. http://www.sunnyvalegunclub.com/SportShooting/Silhouette.html

Last edited:
North East Rifle Silhoutte Championship Match

Just three days before the largest North East Rifle Silhoutte match!
Pistol disciplines will also be shot.

Where:
Pioneer Sportsmen, Inc. Dunbarton, NH
http://www.pioneersportsmen.org/silhouette.html

Mike P, Bob P and Jud D are all trying to take Friday off so we can be at the range to RO for those of you you want to get in early and sort out that new scope or for some of you who shoot in yards, you can dial in for meters. We are expecting a great turn out. Seven new matches were added to this year's program compared to last year. Plus Purgatory Falls and Pemigewaset both had free after work open silhoutte practice. In fact tonight, like every Wednesday night, Purgatory is open to the public to come try silhouette. Or for the veterans, shoot on their fantastic battery operated resetting 1/5th size targets.

This weekend (16-17 Aug 2008) you can shoot a total of 6, 80 shot matches. Pistol Cartridge Cowboy. Smallbore Cowboy. Smallbore Rifle. Smallbore Hunter Rifle. These three events will be held as NRA Registered matches and all NRA rules will apply. We also offer Scoped Club Rifle which we divide into two categories, Novice or Expert. Novice shoots on the thin 1/2 size targets, Expert shoots on the thicker 1/2 scale targets used for Pistol Cartridge. The challenge being center shots on the Rams don't often equal a nock down. You shoot in either Novice or Expert depending on proficiency. Lastly, Smallbore Iron Sights are shot on the thin 1/2 scale targets, no optics allowed. This is a great chance to bring out that classic gun and stretch her legs. To me, this can be some of the most fun seeing what comes out of the safe. I've seen people shoot 40 animals with iron sights. It can be done with proper sight settings. So bring that old favorite and have some fun swapping stories. Don't have a Pistol Cartridge gun? Shoot SB on thick targets. Don't own a "Smallbore Rifle" aka std gun or heavy gun, use your hunter gun.

Saturday, Mike is setting up a grill and burgers for lunch. I don't know all the particulars but I suspect the normal hot hamburger can be had with a small donation accepted or something like that. He will also have 2008 t-shirts and if your lucky, a few collectible 2007 t-shirts might be left in case you missed the match last year or got an ugly stain and want a fresh one. In short, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOOTING SPORTS PROGRAM! If you enjoy shooting sports of any flavor you need to support these types of events so they can continue to be offered. The last thing any of us want is to have Pioneer Gun Club turned into Pioneer Beach Vollyball Club! That is not a dig on the people who play the sport, it is a dig on the myopic advertising dollar focused network that is broadcasting the Olympics! I always try to stay positive.....but! Enough is a enough!

Don't even think of using the excuse I'm not ready, have not practiced or my gun is not sorted! Jump in the car and come exercise your right to bear and hold arms and use them in a pro gun image. It is not about winning, it is about enjoying the fun of shooting and the camaraderie of fellow shooting enthusiast.

YOUTH! Although we don't promote a structured youth category, this is partly by design. We want any youth to come with Mom or Dad and have a postive experience. We'll create a spot for them to shoot supported, semi supported, whatever. Safety is first, positive experience is second. Pressure to do well....not the point. That can come later. With my own kids, I think they find it a lot more interesting if they see some OTHER kids there, not just Dad and his fellow old pharts.

Other stuff: I called Mark Pharr, the creator of the, you guessed it, the Pharr stock which is or is becoming the defacto solution for 90% of the top shooters in the country from what I can see on the line. He was kind enough to ship a rare LEFT HANDED split finger version of the stock for you lefties to touch and poke! At last, something for a left handed silhouette shooter! For us RIGHT HANDED types, you better hope Gary Doerr comes. Because, sorry Gary, that will be the only live sample in RH format.

Other stuff. Air Rifle silhouette has been a tad slow to catch on. My feeling are not hurt. But, I will continue my evangelistic ways and will have the resetable targets at the range (maybe set up...I have to talk to Mike) so you can see how it all works. Maybe a demonstration Friday or during lunch. If there are other air rifle fans out there, bring some gear and see if you can't help me infect some others. Sales 101, you'll never get the order if you don't ask!

See you there, bring a newbie, bring a youth. At a minimum, bring yourself!
PS: Don't leave your gun case in the kitchen! ;)
PSS: Forward to other shooters or interested shooters

Sounds like a great time. I found this hiding in the back of the safe for about 10 years or so. Let's see, what was my favorite load for this....
DSC_1216.jpg

Wait, so somebody actually hosts a center-fire handgun silouette match in NH, and I missed it?!! Just my luck [rolleyes]

Hopefully I can make some of the September matches. I'm not up on all the rules - is a full house 44 magnum firing lead bullets OK?

Wait, so somebody actually hosts a center-fire handgun silouette match in NH, and I missed it?!! Just my luck [rolleyes]

Hopefully I can make some of the September matches. I'm not up on all the rules - is a full house 44 magnum firing lead bullets OK?

I believe it is, but just in case, you could shoot .44 Special. You would compete in the Hunter's Pistol category.
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/SIL-P/sil-p-w03.pdf

Open practice is held every Wednesday evening at Purgatory Falls in Mont Vernon NH from 5:30 till dusk, weather permitting. Purgatory Falls is at the end of Upton Rd. which is on the right off Wilton Rd, which is on the left off Rt 13 just past the center of Mont Vernon.

Wow! Some activity just when I thought this sticky was, well, stuck. First, I am very weak in the area of fully understanding the caliber rules for Pistol Silhouette. But...as you likely know, Cowboy Pistol Cartridge and Cowboy Smallbore rifle share identical targets, distances and even shooting times as hunter pistol. Thus, we can put up two sets of animals and have multi discplines shoot on them. I don't personally shoot pistol but I understand the general rules. Don't hate me, I'm a rifle guy. But I can put you in touch with the right people, like Mike Page who is the state champion...email in original sticky.

So, there are a total of 4 Hunter Pistol classes. Centerfire scoped, Centerfire iron sight, SB scoped, SB iron sight. CF shoots at thick animals and SB shoots at thin animals, all the same scale though. And they are all NRA approved so you can shoot them for record, long runs, grand slams etc.

All three clubs have the same targets/optoins. email me with questions. There is even a match this Sunday at Pemi.

Further, for pistol fans, NH has a state championship for pistols in silhouette...rifle does not for some reason I don't fully understand. That was a major event and was hosted by PFFG...and was noted in the schedule July 12th. If you want to be on the Northeast Silhouette email distribution list that I send out, email me.

Go get 'em!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom