1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

2008 Cummins 6.7 questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by gulfmp, May 15, 2012.

1. gulfmp

gulfmp NES Member

My 2008 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins engine is getting near the end of its factory engine warranty. I have just under 60K on it. It runs strong and is basically stock. I am ok with my power and MPG and don't do much towing.

I am thinking about a couple of mods for it (programmer, new fresh air intake, DPF delete, EGR delete). Didn't want to do anything earlier and risk Obama motors denying me any engine warranty work if ever needed. I hear mixed messages about some programmers altering the ECM and the dealer being able to tell that it was chipped.

I am looking to squeek out as much MPG as I can.

Anyone have any experience with this?

2. chevyguyss350

chevyguyss350

Exhaust is a "free" mod. Meaning that it allows the engine to breathe more efficiently so it increases power AND mpg at the same time. The only thing I would be careful of is running around with the programmer set on boil the tires power at all times. Dodge transmissions can be finicky to put it nicely. Get an auxiliary transmission cooler if you add some power.

3. edmorseiii

edmorseiii Navy Veteran

Can't speak much for the Cummins, I settled on a Duramax, but opening up the air intake alone made quite a noticeable improvement in power. I am saving for an exhaust and EFI Live tuning now, and can't wait to see the increase it brings. But, like chevyguy said, the transmissions are the weak links in these trucks, and my buddy just killed the transmission in his '06 Cummins.

There is a local diesel forum I read every now and then, http://www.newenglandturbodieselpower.com/Forums/index.php it seems like it is mostly Dodge guys there, might get some more answers there.

4. diesel112

diesel112 NES Member

As far as a Cold Air goes, that wont mess anything up for your warranty. They are pretty much all the same and do the same thing. That and exhaust is a good place to start. You can delete the DPF and EGR but you will have to put it back in for emmisions testing once its time to get a sticker. Its not a huge deal but just an added headache. For a programmer, i would suggest a Smarty. It leaves no trace in the computer once you set it back to stock. The commonrails make crazy power with just simple things. One more thing is gauges. i know they dont add any performance or flash but its always a good thing to know what your engine is doing. Is your truck an auto or a stick?

5. gulfmp

gulfmp NES Member

My truck is the 6 speed auto. I have no complaints about the power as is, just trying to max the MPG. I anticipate power increase as I try to tweak MPG. I sure don't need to spin the tires everytime I step onthe pedal!

I do want additional gauges as well, guess I should have said that before, particularly EGT and fuel pressure gauges.

Smarty sounds good if it doesnt leave a computer trace.

I was told that I could still get a sticker without the DPF because Dodge was out front and reduced the emmisions with the DPF before it was mandated, thus not required for a 2008. Has anyone every heard that?

6. edmorseiii

edmorseiii Navy Veteran

Is emissions something for newer trucks? My '01 was a safety inspection only.

7. loki32687

loki32687 NES Member

IIRC it alternates for vehicles under 15 years old. One year safety one year emissions.

8. edmorseiii

edmorseiii Navy Veteran

For gas vehicles, yes. I was pretty sure that does not apply to diesels.

9. Diesel Kiki

Diesel Kiki

Safety inspection only for my 1999 Ford Powerstroke 7.3L diesel. I believe model year 2004 and newer is when diesels need to worry about emissions in MA.

10. johnN

johnN NES Member

no, cel will be on and you will fail. the 6.7 is a great engine if taken care of. i have a cust with over 500,000 and pulls a 3 car trailer 5-6 days a week. as you tweek, power goes up, mpg goes down.

11. diesel112

diesel112 NES Member

As far as gauges, I would suggest EGT, trans temp and rail pressure. The smarty has multiple levels on it. I know on my 02, I get better mpgs on level 5 than I do on the fuel saver mode. I believe 07 and later 2500s need to pass emissions. I will double check that.

12. diesel112

diesel112 NES Member

There are other tuners that can turn off the cel for egr and dpf. I believe h&s has a really good tuner

13. wdcollard

wdcollard NES Member

I have an 2005 Dodge Ram 3500. Most basic stuff is open the exhaust (I have 4" turbo back), cold air intake. As for monitoring, I would go with Turbo, EGT, Trans temp. Those I feel are the most critical to monitor (I do tow).

14. gulfmp

gulfmp NES Member

The web site for the smarty claims it clears the check engine light, and other codes. This one looks pretty good to me, and from what I have been looking at it seems to be the only one that cant be seen by the dealer for warantee work (no tracable computer changes)

15. diesel112

diesel112 NES Member

it will clear codes out and read them but I dont believe it will actually disable the codes from coming on in the first place. there is a difference between making a CEL go away and not making it come on in the first place. I will check though

16. diesel112

diesel112 NES Member

as for emmisions testing,
    "Model year 1998 and newer light-duty diesel vehicles (weighing 8,500 pounds or less)

Model year 2007 and newer medium-duty diesel vehicles (weighing 8,501 to 14,000 pounds)". So that would include your truck.

17. CHUCK M

CHUCK M

08 and newer diesels require emissions under 10000lb gvwr ,older than 08 no emissions,and gas vehicles 97 and older don't receive emissions at all.

18. swampy

swampy NES Member

My 2005 6.0 Ford seems to only get the safety inspection. Maybe it was 2007 to start emission testing. That is when the low sulfur fuel was mandated...and MPG plummeted.