August 19 IDPA (9AM)

September 5 IDPA (5PM)
September 9,12,16,19,26,30 Plates
September 23 IDPA (9AM)

October 3,7,14,17,24,28 Plates
October 10 IDPA (5PM)
October 21 IDPA (9AM

Last edited:
I'll touch base if I'm going to make it to any of their shoots, hopefully a weekend will free up in the schedule somewhere.

Steve Rand does a great job with the stages. They usually are short and set up in the way IDPA intended (originally!). Just a good test of shooting without the acrobatics and silliness that some of the stages at the bigger matches have become. Great after work practice! Try to make it.

Steve has suggested we may start earlier if things stay dry. I'll post as info becomes available.

This sounds interesting. Can anyone explain these types of shoots or direct me to somewhere to learn about the shoots?
thanks
Mick

Hi, Mick. I thought this was covered in past discussion, but a search for action pistol & IDPA brought up way too many threads to sort through.

Action Pistol and IDPA are both "draw & fire" shooting events; you start with a loaded & holstered pistol with varying number of loaded magazines. At the sound of the beep, you draw & shoot multiple (paper or steel) targets, reloading as specified by the event.

Action pistol is very straight-forward: your targets are 24 steel plates at a minimum of 10 yards out. To keep things on par between revolvers and semis, each magazine is loaded to only 6 rounds. So you draw, shoot 6 plates, reload & shoot 6 more plates, reload & repeat until you've shot 24 rounds. Scoring is very direct; total elapsed time from first shot to last, with 3 seconds added to total time for each plate missed. But most of us aren't shooting against anything other than our individual previous time. More than one gun club in the area (southern ME & NH) has action pistol, but it isn't too wide-spread as it requires some permanent infastructure.
Action pistol photos at NBRGC are here and here. Membership not required.

IDPA is a bit more complex, kind of like role-playing games with guns.
There are multiple scenarios, involving a mix of multiple "bad guy" targets, moving targets, and "hostage" targets. As the shooter, you are also moving around a bit; using cover for reloads, and as an aid in engaging multiple targets in "tactical" order.
More clubs in this area offer IDPA events, as the scenarios are mostly quite portable. IDPA has specific equipment requirements, and you must participate in a pre-qualifier shoot before you can compete in sanctioned IDPA events. The national IDPA site has plenty of info. This Handguns Magazine article also has some info.

Edited to add: North Berwick Rod & Gun Club just held their last plate shoot yesterday; kind of on-going throughout the year as weather and daylight permitted. When the 2007 schedule is posted, I will forward.

Last edited:
I expect the schedule for Action Plate will be posted by April; to start in May.
Either CDKayak or myself will post the schedule here when NBR&GC publishes it. The fee is typically $5 an entry.

Come on down, and watch in awe with the rest of us as Eric B & Tad smoke all 24 plates from the 25 yard-line![shocked]

Ray,
Thanks a lot, it was very helpful and did save me searching through all those previous threads.
I might check out the next shoot.
Thanks again,
Mick

Wow. Steve says he's scheduling another falling plate shoot this coming Sunday at 9AM, with (maybe) a mini-IDPA-style shoot to follow.

I probably won't make this one due to foot surgery last Friday, but I'm certain you are welcome to attend if you want to try it out. Just bring your pistol, four mags or 3 speedloaders, 100 rds of ammo, & $5. Holster & mag holders are helpful & preferred; but we do have a work-around if you need it.

Let me know if you plan to attend, Seafarer; and I'll try to set up a point of contact for you at the shoot.

This is a great club, I shot .22 sillouttes here during the summer a few years back. It is pretty convienient only 5 minutes from my house.

Is there a scedule being made for the spring? it is getting kinda cold (finally) to do much outdoor shooting.

Steve hasn't posted a new list yet. I realyy don't expect to see one until April. But you can always check the website for updates.

I'm also a member and shoot just the plates when I have time, no IDPA for me. Steve will start scheduling at least the falling plates as soon as it's warm enough to shoot. Non-Members are encourage to participate. It is short money for an evening of fun. You can even bring two calibers and shoot them both. I imagine IDPA will wait till the mud is gone.

This isn't the Ray by chance that sold me a Taurus Tracker 17HMR is it??

If it was a face to face sale, no. But I did work Sundays at the KTP gun floor for most of 2004, so it could be possible.

You probably are thinking of the smaller, more petite Ray that also shoots plates at North Berwick.

If it was a face to face sale, no. But I did work Sundays at the KTP gun floor for most of 2004, so it could be possible.

You probably are thinking of the smaller, more petite Ray that also shoots plates at North Berwick.
That's funny because the Ray that sold me the Tracker worked PT at KTP too.

He is probably 65-70 yo with a gray beard. Lives in Wells. Usualy shoots .45ACP. I'm trying to picture who you are. I'm the kid in the wheelchair that shoots 6 out of the 24 plates LOL

Not the same Ray, but I do know him :)

I do remember seeing you at the shoots. I'm the large, lumbering, bearded guy shooting either a stock 1911A1, an S&W 639, or a Star Firestar.

2007 Shoot schedule for pistol

NBR&GC Shoot schedule for pistol 2007

NOTE : Plate shoots on Wednesday are at 5 PM
Plate shoots on Sunday are at 9AM
All IDPA shoots are non sanctioned club level shoots

April 18,25 Plates
April 29 IDPA (9 AM)

May 2,13,16,23,30 Plates
May 9(5PM) IDPA
May 20(9 AM) IDPA

June 6 IDPA(5 PM)
June 10,13,20,24,27 Plates
June 17 IDPA (9AM)

July 8,15,18,22,25,Plates
July 11 IDPA(5PM)
July 29 IDPA (9AM)

August 1,5,12,15,22,26,29 Plates
August 8 IDPA (5 PM)
August 19 IDPA (9AM)

September 5 IDPA (5PM)
September 9,12,16,19,26,30 Plates
September 23 IDPA (9AM)

October 3,7,14,17,24,28 Plates
October 10 IDPA (5PM)
October 21 IDPA (9AM

Last edited:
Ray,
Thanks for the update.
My schedule is pretty full until late April but will try to get a couple of buddies to visit.
I will let you know when we are coming so I can say thanks in person.
Mick

Looking forward to seeing you there!

CANX: April 18th steel plate shoot @ NBR&GC

Here is the latest e-mail from Steve at NBR&GC:

Hi Guys, The weather report does not look good for the opening 2007 shoot. We will have the first shoot on April 25th weather permitting. Steve

Back
Top Bottom