• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2006 Vt. State High Power Championship

I had a great time shooting my first Championship in about 7 years. I saw a lot of old friends and had an opportunity to shoot with cdkayak, PatMcD, DryDock and charliet, whoes son managed to leg out and become a U.S. Distinguished Rifleman. Kevin is an up an coming hard gun and you should look at the Camp Perry bulletin and expect to see his name. Nice shooting Kevin. [rockon]

I’m really glad that I managed to Creedmoor Kevin for fourth place in the Championship. Nothing like letting a junior whoop your ass to deal a blow to your ego. Keep shooting the way you are and I’m sure that you will make the 495 792 & 990 clubs with the service rifle. Way to go K! If your in the hunt for legs, don’t be afraid to show up at Reading next week. Boy wonder is out of the hunt and it should make things easier on the normal people [banana]

Check out this link for pictures. http://www.brianandlara.info/test/test.htm [party]

Brian

Last edited:
Great pictures! Thanks. It was a great time and a great range to shoot at. I'm looking forward to returning next year.

I was sorry I didn't really get a chance to catch up with many people. I saw DryDock drive by during one of the relay changes & couldn't find him at the end. We had to take off relatively quick after the match since we wanted to make sure we got to eat dinner where we had planned.

Brian, from the 300 yard pictures it looks like you were on relay 1 or 2. I wish I would have realized that, it would have been good to meet you. Are you going to be at any of the matches in Hampden or Scarborough?

CD

Kevin made it!!! Sweet!!!!!!!

Great pics Brian, looks like it was a good turnout.

Last edited:
Hi CD,

Yeah, I was on relay 1 point 2. Sorry to have missed you.

I've updated pictures from the Sarborough match the week before. Check out Dry Docks nice sitting position. [party2]

Brian

I'll add a few more pics to the thread:
DSC00357.jpg

200yd standing

b4e21a21.jpg

200yd Rapidfire sitting, as seen from my end of the line

ebda54bd.jpg

My sitting target. That 9 must have been a blackfly landing on my nose or something.

bec90ae2.jpg

Some of the boys from Bangor and points North. Left to right: Jim Ecker, Emery "Z" Zambo, Dave Dow, and West Point-bound Jeff Dow.

dsc00369.jpg

Mr. bpm990d himself enjoying a smoke after a very solid shooting performance.

DSC003702.jpg

Most of the Maine contingent. From left to right, kneeling: Harry Davis, Rocky Prout, Dave Dow, Dave Bluin, Roland St Pierre, John Lynds, Linwood "Spaghettio's" Bridges, and Brian "bpm990d" Murphy. Standing: myself, Mike Davis, Jeff Dow, Dave Smith, Scott Baker, Emery "Z" Zambo, and Jim Ecker. Missing in the pic are cdcayak and drydock (who took the picture). By the way, nice choice in photo location, John. I hope the pics on your camera came out better.

A good time was had by all.

Brian, Great pictures and niece write up about the match and Kevin (and others).
I was good to see you after a few years off, you are one of the guys that when I started HP in 97' were considered by all as a hard holder and encouraged and helped the new guys. Hope to see you around more, I hope to get up to Hampton for a match or two.

charliet said:
Brian, Great pictures and niece write up about the match and Kevin (and others).
I was good to see you after a few years off, you are one of the guys that when I started HP in 97' were considered by all as a hard holder and encouraged and helped the new guys. Hope to see you around more, I hope to get up to Hampton for a match or two.

It was good to see you up there and meet your son. It’s quite an accomplishment to go Distinguished in one year and he shot a very nice score in the Championship. If you have the opportunity, you should come up and shoot the state championship. My understanding is that there is a fair amount of merchandise that has been donated for awards. I think last year they had an M1A that was given out.

Thanks for the info on the D650 and the Guiraud. I’ll start saving my pennies and get set up for production.

It’s nice to see a whole new crop of hard guns shooting. It makes the matches more competitive and enjoyable. I’m going to have to peddle faster to keep up. [bow]

Brian

Brian, It was a great weekend. I shot above my classification, didn't set any records but took another step up. It was nice to meet you and the other "riff raff", it's always nice to put a face on a screen name.

Chris, I too saw you drive by, and never got to catch up with you. So what did you think of the Vermont range? It's got a bit more wind to play with than anything around here.

I hope to meet more of you at other matches, I feel a trip to NH is in order, I hear it's a really nice range.

Excelent pics.

DD

Last edited:
DryDock,

That was a great range out there. The wind only really played havoc with me on the 300 rapids. Well, something did anyway since I hosed that stage. Otherwise, while I was on 600 the wind behaved itself very well; I can only blame dropped points on myself there.

I'll catch up with you at Hampden and Scarborough. I plan on shooting at Hampden on the 24th & then again in July. Scarborough on the 25th.

CD

Chris, I'll be in Hampden on the 25th for the long range championship. I'm sure we'll hook up sometime this season, if I don't see you before the 24th...good luck!

DD

I've got family obligations on the 11th. I will have to make it to Reading one of these days though. I am looking forward to shooting a 3X600 one of these days. With the way my schedule looks at the moment it may not be until the Oct. match in Hampden.

CD

I'm working on an M70 varmint rifle in .308 for F-class. I don’t think it will be competitive, but it should be fun. I just epoxied the spigot for the bipod into the front of the stock and I'm going to skim bed it tomorrow. I fired it at Hampden and it seemed to shoot ok. We will see how it performs with the upgrades.

Is there anyplace where we can see the match results? Kind of curious how I did against others in my class.

DryDock, how'd you do on Monday? I think you probably tore up the Sharpshooter class on Sat.

Pat
I shot a high expert on Saturday, and a dissapointing 441 on Monday. I couldn't get anything going at the 600.

Brian
I won't be able to get to Reading on the 11th, but I do want to get there this season. As far as the match results go I think I got last years results this spring. It took forever.

DD

DryDock said:
As far as the match results go I think I got last years results this spring. It took forever.

That is B.S.

There is no reason it should take more than a week or two. About 12 years ago I shot a 990 down at Reading in the state championship. Best score of my life with the M-14. It took a whole year to get that bulletin and the money. [angry] I went so far as to call the NRA competitions and complain two or three times. They were clueless and couldn’t have cared less. It was like I was being a pain, just for having the audacity to ask that the match director do their job properly.

DryDock said:
Pat
I shot a high expert on Saturday, and a dissapointing 441 on Monday. I couldn't get anything going at the 600.

DD

Nice shooting! There go my chances of taking the SharpShooter Class.[sad] I shot a low expert score.

CD

Chris
I'm perfectly capable and have a high probability of screwing up. The way I see it, one step at a time, little by little, just keep climbing the ladder. I wish the weather would break, a bit of practice would be nice.

DD

DryDock said:
Chris
I'm perfectly capable and have a high probability of screwing up. The way I see it, one step at a time, little by little, just keep climbing the ladder. I wish the weather would break, a bit of practice would be nice.

DD

I hear you, I screwed up the 300 rapid fire. I'm actually happy with my score on this past match, even with that screwup. It would be nice to get some practice in though, I might be able to correct a few mistakes by the next match.

CD

Back
Top Bottom