200 yard Steel Size

Don't shoot steel at my club.

Believe most folks opt for a 10" at that distance. I had bought one about 10 years ago off a member here on a group buy. Wound up giving it to a former co-worker for his home range.

Go smaller, if you want to give yourself more of a challenge.

It's nice to have a variety of sizes at any range! My club has gongs with sizes from 3"-12" at 300 and 400 yards. Depending on what I'm shooting, I can choose a size appropriate for the challenge.

I have set up my own at 200, and I use these parts with electrical conduit legs and crossbeam along with 4", 6", 8", and 10" gongs. For .22 and .22 magnum these sizes work out really well. For anything bigger than .22 and scoped, you'll find even the 4" is pretty big. (It's 2 MOA at that distance.)

taggets.jpg

I usually go 2” per 100 yards. So 5” or 6” at 300 or 8” at 400 or 10” at 500 then 12” at 600. Farther than that I go with 1/2 IPSC basically 12” x 20”, some times I go that size at 600.

I don’t usually shoot steel at 200 yards for several reasons. First I can easily see hits on paper. Second is many calibers will damage steel at 200 yards Third is that a challenging target would be 4” and so light it would really bounce around when hit. That being said I will hang a 1/2“ thick 10” 550 steel target at 200 yards for guests. It is basically kill zone for deer and a confidence builder (or tells them they need to limit shots to 100 yards). I am just careful what calibers and ammo types are used.

My club uses an 8" gong and a 1/2 size silhouette at 200 yards but that's for rifles from the bench so it's not that difficult. For off hand handgunning I use a full size silhouette. I'm not good enough to hit it all the time but enough that I don't get bored and quit.

What size steel do you use for 200 yards?

Thanks,

Bob
Scopes or iron sights?
How are you testing your skills
5moa plus hits on target shooting 10” plus
Trying to put each round into the same small place under 6”
Then depends on what tou can actually see at 300 yards.
A plain black 10” plate at 200 yards is “hard” for me to see shooting iron sights.

Buy a variety pack for fun or replicate any specifications required by any games you might play.

Put that 10” black on a tan background and you do better than OK.
Eh, my eyes are doing strange shit as I get older
Especially with iron sights
13” balck of a SR target will vanish on me when I put the front post to it. Happens more and more.

A good all around choice for iron sight usage would be 6 MOA , so a 200 yd target would be 12" . For high precision scoped centerfire usage I would opt for a 4" dia.

I only use steel that is the same size as the aiming black at 200 on a standard NRA target, which is 13". I have a 10-3/4" piece of steel I use at 165 yards (because it is the same size/ratio as the 200yd/13").
I do this because the only reason I would shoot steel would be offhand practice. Anything prone/bipod/bench is going to be on paper because that's the only think that's going to give you any info.

I just use C zone in case I feel like stretching out my Pistol
LOL. I just like that target at most distances.

I do this because the only reason I would shoot steel would be offhand practice. Anything prone/bipod/bench is going to be on paper because that's the only think that's going to give you any info.
Show off! [laugh]
The rest of us are just stoked to hear the steel ring, and say to ourselves " Yes! That was near the middle!"

Back
Top Bottom