• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

200 yard sight in service availability?

Does anyone here offer a service of sighting in a rifle at 200 yards?

Holy crap. I just spent the last 2 hours trying to zero a vortex razor HD 1-6x24 on a new POF P415 with 16.5" barrel and brake...

FAIL

I am on paper every shot, but I've got groupings of 4+" in most cases.

I can't tell if it was me, the ammo or what.

Usually when I bench rest and zero, I get 1 MOA groups with standard ammo. Example, my M1A using mil-surp.

All I can say about today's shooting is WTF...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Please excuse the brevity and auto corrected wrong words

What sort of accuracy were you expecting?

2 MOA with regular ammo is not bad. It's not a surprise that an M1A has better accuracy than a 16" AR.

Last edited:
2 MOA with regular ammo is not bad.

^^THIS^^

If you're groups are big, but centered where you want them, it's the gun, not the glass. If the group is centered inches away from where you want it, then the glass is off. It sounds like you're doing pretty good.

Which ammo were you using? If you are unhappy, shoot at 30-35 yards (depending on the ammo's ballistics) to verify zero. Fine tune if necessary. Then reach back out to 200.

How was the weather and wind? Is this rifle capable of better accuracy?
How much magnification did you use?. I get better groups with the least magnification. Maybe just a bad day.

The optic is brand new, as is the rifle. The barrel on this P415 is a match-grade fluted 16.5" 1:8 twist. Using Winchester White Box .223 FMJ. Sighting at 110-115 yards. Tried using both 3x and 6x magnification.

Weather was mild temp (50s?) overcast damp air over melting snow. Air was calm, almost no wind at all.

I was hoping to get 2" or better shot groups. I'm disappointed at best. Next time out, I'm going to try to get some better sandbags for a more stable support.

I think it is time to start hand loading. 16" Barrels don't give you the same velocity that a 20" will. You will have a lot of still burning powder exiting with the bullet and that can also cause some variance. Your muzzle device might also add turbulence. Lots of variables.

But as someone above said, if the group is clustered around your point of aim, that is what you can do with that gun and that ammo.

Telepathically uploaded via Google implants.

WWB at 200? You're doing ok at 4MOA, with all I'm reading. Can't do much worse than LC 55 gr or WWB for accuracy work. You should get half that with Black Hills, Hornady TAP or GMM.

I've got a 1:7 heavy stainless 16" barrel using a 3-9X crappy no mame scope. At 200 I get anywhere from 2-4 moa groups. No matter if it's off hand or benched.
How big of a group were you getting?

If the groups are off center, then maybe it's the scope, but if your groups are on center and just 2+ MOA, it's not the scope IMHO

I can hit a penny at 200 yards every time I pull the trigger. You're doing something wrong.
Penny? Ameteur.

IMG_00292_zpscb453301.jpg

Ahem. I wrote its too cold to shoot from prone. You know, us skinny people are a little sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom