200 yard handgunning

I have an original Colt 1862 Police .36 cal. Pain in the ass to load and cap. Just not my thing. I have to keep it because the person who gifted it to me made me promise to keep it in the family. Will soon go to Little Jack like everything else. Jack.

anyone remember ron ricci's matches at camp curtis? he use to put out a .22 turkey at 200 and you got 5 shots standing for 2 bucks. if you hit it you got a half gallon of wild turkey. musta been a money maker, it wasn't hit often.
EXCUSE THE CAPS
RON RICCI HERE, THE CONTEST WAS CALLED "SHOOT THE GREEN GOBBLER" WE SET A FULL SIZE NRA/IHMSA REGULATION TURKEY OUT AT 330 YARDS THAT WAS PAINTED FLOURESENT GREEN. IT WAS 3 SHOTS FOR A $1.00 BACK IN THE LATE 70S AND EARLY 80S. IF YOU HIT THE TURKEY YOU WOULD WIN A HALF GALLON OF WILD TURKEY BOURBON AND LAPEL CAMPAIGN PIN THAT SAID"I SHOT THE GREEN GOBBLER" THE VERY FIRST SHOOTER TO HIT THE TURKEY, WAS CHERYLLE HIRD AND SHE DID IT WITH A 357 DAN WESSON 6" IN THE PRONE POSITION.

Anyone else do this? I don't know how Jerry Miculek does what he does but it's way beyond my ability. I tried the 10mm 1911 this morning at Shirley and the front sight covered an area 4' wide at 200 yards. I managed to put 7 out of 8 on the paper but it wasn't easy. I don't know where the 8th round went but I'm guessing it went high.

Depending on the quality of the firearm. I've shot .40 out of a USP Compact at 200. The inherent accuracy of the firearm makes hits more luck than skill. If the gun shoots a 5 inch group at 25 yards from a bench, that is a HUGE circle of 'acceptable' accuracy at 200. I don't think it's even straight math since aerodynamic factors start to compound as the round loses speed and/or goes subsonic.

This is all void if you are talking purpose built guns like the one above. I'm only talking standard pistol calibers.

I enjoy shooting at 50 and 100 with a pistol. Generally speaking I can hit human torso sized steel at 100 with my new Glock/9mm way more often than I miss. I don't know 'where' I'm hitting, I just hear the gong. It shoots pretty flat out to 100 at least to get hits on that sized target based on sight picture.

I shot at 12” steel plate ok at 100yds, with a red dot on my shadow 2, it is a fun challenge. Harvard rules prohibit 9mm and 22lr at 200/300yds range, unfortunately.

I shot IHMSA short distance 25 -100 yards with a .22, the longer distances to 200 yards with either a Dan Wesson revolver or A Contender both in 357 Maximum (AKA 357 Supermag). It was annoying to ping a ram but not knock it over.

I later took deer with both the revolver and contender but at distances under 30 yards.
The good old 357 max...love it..too bad it got a bad rap from the revolver fiasco..

EXCUSE THE CAPS
RON RICCI HERE, THE CONTEST WAS CALLED "SHOOT THE GREEN GOBBLER" WE SET A FULL SIZE NRA/IHMSA REGULATION TURKEY OUT AT 330 YARDS THAT WAS PAINTED FLOURESENT GREEN. IT WAS 3 SHOTS FOR A $1.00 BACK IN THE LATE 70S AND EARLY 80S. IF YOU HIT THE TURKEY YOU WOULD WIN A HALF GALLON OF WILD TURKEY BOURBON AND LAPEL CAMPAIGN PIN THAT SAID"I SHOT THE GREEN GOBBLER" THE VERY FIRST SHOOTER TO HIT THE TURKEY, WAS CHERYLLE HIRD AND SHE DID IT WITH A 357 DAN WESSON 6" IN THE PRONE POSITION.
That’s awesome. Wish I was alive then so I could shoot it with my Dan Wesson revolvers. Friggen laserbeam accuracy

I used to shoot IHMSA Standing class (AA) with a .41 mag old model Ruger Blackhawk in the 70's. It had adjustable sights but I did'nt change the sights. I used different loads for the different ranges 170 Sierra with max 2400 @ 50, 100, 150 and 210 Sierra with max 2400 @ 200 yards. It helps to have a spotter and front sight and follow through were important. I shot at Reading and used to win regularly at Hopkington? (East of Brockton somewhere.) It was fun but ultimately, I switched to .22 as there were more shoots for them. Only offhand. Got to AAA standing and was 1979 State champ @ Framingham (then) Sportsman in standing. .22 was from 25 to 100 and there were more ranges that shot it. Last shoot was in RI in the 1990s. I had finally gotten a Contender .22 10" match in stainless. I had done all .22 up til then with a High Standard Victor. I had the zero off for the chickens with the contender but got 8/10 rams (offhand). I was pretty excited but they never had another shoot... Also, from a rest with a 2x scope, my XP100 in .221 fireball put three shots in 3/8" @ 200 yards. Long range pistol is a ball although my club is now limited to 100 yards.
Best shot was an empty 12 gauge shell standing up @ 100 yards with the Victor. I couldn't see it but it was at the intersection of the upright board and horizontal board on the target holder. Hit it dead center first time...
East of Brockton was probably Hanson or Old Colony.

Back
Top Bottom