• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

200 yard handgunning

I used to shoot IHMSA Standing class (AA) with a .41 mag old model Ruger Blackhawk in the 70's. It had adjustable sights but I did'nt change the sights. I used different loads for the different ranges 170 Sierra with max 2400 @ 50, 100, 150 and 210 Sierra with max 2400 @ 200 yards. It helps to have a spotter and front sight and follow through were important. I shot at Reading and used to win regularly at Hopkington? (East of Brockton somewhere.)

I'm betting it was Holbrook. My best friend's dad used to shoot there 78-79 with Super Blackhawk and then T/C Contender in 30/30. As mentioned it was very popular. I think by the time the British retook the Falklands, it was almost all over.

Hold over is the key.

I never shot at 200, but do 100 yds with a 1911 frequently. Single hand hold, off hand, and I hold on point of impact. The difference is that you relax the elbow, let the gun rise, don't hold it down. I never shot paper targets, but would mark out the berm and see where the shots fell inside a 6' circle.

All us old timers should get together and see if we can still do this. Half of us will probably fall asleep if we get into a Creedmoor position the other half will need chiropractor's

Wish my hometown club had a 200 yd range or I'd host. I never used the Gumby position but did shoot from my back with a 686 rested against my leg / knee. Had to have a decent pair of jeans on to deal with the chamber blast.

Great thread, @gerrycaruso

I did that as well. Thompson Contender in 30-30 and 7mm TCU. Used a Super Blackhawk for Revolver. I never saw a sport have such a meteoric rise and fall.

I shoot a T/C in both of those calibers among others, love em. While I was late to the game, I never shot a IHMSA match, I just enjoy shooting them at distance. If it were more popular with matches being held reasonably local I'd definitely be all over it.

A snub nose at 100 yards is not easy but if you can hit with that, you can hit with anything. I'm fortunate to have a place to shoot handguns beyond 100 yards. It's not practical but it's fun to do stupid shit once in a while.

If you believe one of the guys at my club, he could "hit a man at 200 yards with his 1911 all day long."
0ad272.jpg

I'm not into long range handgun shooting, but is that not something that you would do with a scoped revolver from a rest like that you do with a rifle? Or is it just an off-hand iron sight thingy?
Jack, I ignorantly assume that a lot of people are all excited over those video(s) of Jerry Miculek taking two-handed 1000 yard shots. (On a range where he can experiment safely to learn how much to hold over). The screen grab of the first video that popped up shows he's got a revolver with a simple-looking reflex sight. It may really be wicked expensive, but it looks just like the cheesiest ones (like I have).

It's easy to watch the videos and think, "well, if I bring a big box of ammo to the range, I'll just hold high and wiggle around until the shots start landing on the backer". Then fine tune the aim point, and the results start to look impressive.

Maybe other people are on a different path, but that's how I'd get sucked in.

anyone remember ron ricci's matches at camp curtis? he use to put out a .22 turkey at 200 and you got 5 shots standing for 2 bucks. if you hit it you got a half gallon of wild turkey. musta been a money maker, it wasn't hit often.

wow. I was one of the target setters that rode down the range in the beat up old pickup truck. You are really on to some ancient history here.

This one was built for knocking down silhouettes at 200:

QidCN3Y.jpg

Bought off the forum. XP-100 in 7mm BR with a MacMillan stock and IIRC Lilja (or comparable) barrel. No problem shooting 3/8" groups at 100. A little snappy to shoot. Hope to take to Granby for something a little more challenging than 200 yards. Need to calculate the ballistics though and see how far it will reach w/o going trans sonic.

edit- Loads with Benchmark & 150 grain Hornady ELD-X's should stay supersonic to ~850 yards.

I had an XP-100 in 7mm BR that I used to shoot at Pelham F&G back in the early 90's. I could hit a steel pig silhouette at a hundred yards all day long, in the creedmore position. 200 yards was a little trickier and never mastered it. I wish I still had the XP-100. I ended up selling it to the guy that kept taking me to Pelham as a guest.

I used to shoot 100 with a cap and ball revolver that has a 12" barrel. It was fun.

Never tried 200 but will be trying it soon. I'm going to pick up a 45/70 BFR, 10" barrel today. That should be fun.

It's easy to watch the videos and think, "well, if I bring a big box of ammo to the range, I'll just hold high and wiggle around until the shots start landing on the backer". Then fine tune the aim point, and the results start to look impressive.
(And yes, that thud everyone heard was the sound of every Range Safety Officer on NES
reading that scenario and fainting dead away while standing on a concrete pad).

I've also shot at 100 yards with a cap & ball revolver. It was a Ruger Old Army. I think the barrel is 7 1/2". It's one of the most accurate cap & balls I have and hit the steel silhouette pretty easily.

I've also shot at 100 yards with a cap & ball revolver. It was a Ruger Old Army. I think the barrel is 7 1/2". It's one of the most accurate cap & balls I have and hit the steel silhouette pretty easily.
Yes. Cap and ball revolvers are very accurate. I couldn't believe how easy it was to shoot 100 yards with mine.

I was hitting a paper plate in no time and the recoil from the BP load was nothing.

And here I am, working on 20.0 yards, like a sucker.

Who am I kidding? More like 2.00 yards...
Same brother. I went out to 20 yards with my Beretta 92FS with generic mods (D hammer spring, SS parts kit) and that was a blast. Need to find an out door range to take it to the next level.

Back
Top Bottom