• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

200 yard handgunning

gerrycaruso

NES Member
Anyone else do this? I don't know how Jerry Miculek does what he does but it's way beyond my ability. I tried the 10mm 1911 this morning at Shirley and the front sight covered an area 4' wide at 200 yards. I managed to put 7 out of 8 on the paper but it wasn't easy. I don't know where the 8th round went but I'm guessing it went high.

how big was target? Hold over is the key. Manville has their 200 angled downward so pinging steel with a 9mm doesn't require much hold over. but shooting flat you to aim hiiiiiiiii . I think higher than hopkinton allows with the boards covering the 200 sky. Once you find the sweet spot piece of cake.

IHMSA used to do it all the time with silhouette matches, 200M. Late 1970s. And 80s. I did it with a Dan Wesson 357
I did that as well. Thompson Contender in 30-30 and 7mm TCU. Used a Super Blackhawk for Revolver. I never saw a sport have such a meteoric rise and fall.

IHMSA used to do it all the time with silhouette matches, 200M. Late 1970s. And 80s. I did it with a Dan Wesson 357
That’s why I bought a TC .22. I was just starting out in shooting. Maynard had matches and the guy really responsible for this disease of mine got me into. Them targets were small at 100 yards.

I think IHMSA was shot from a rest. This was offhand standing. Anyone who can hit a man at 200 yards with his 1911 all day long is much better than me. If that 1911 was in .45 I'd guess he was holding between 6 and 8 feet high depending on ammo type. I've shot a .45 at that distance and it was very difficult to judge that much hold over. Spicolii the target was huge but looked small from that far away. It was about 4' wide and a little taller than it was wide. The 10mm did very well and didn't drop much.

Last edited:
I used to shoot IHMSA Standing class (AA) with a .41 mag old model Ruger Blackhawk in the 70's. It had adjustable sights but I did'nt change the sights. I used different loads for the different ranges 170 Sierra with max 2400 @ 50, 100, 150 and 210 Sierra with max 2400 @ 200 yards. It helps to have a spotter and front sight and follow through were important. I shot at Reading and used to win regularly at Hopkington? (East of Brockton somewhere.) It was fun but ultimately, I switched to .22 as there were more shoots for them. Only offhand. Got to AAA standing and was 1979 State champ @ Framingham (then) Sportsman in standing. .22 was from 25 to 100 and there were more ranges that shot it. Last shoot was in RI in the 1990s. I had finally gotten a Contender .22 10" match in stainless. I had done all .22 up til then with a High Standard Victor. I had the zero off for the chickens with the contender but got 8/10 rams (offhand). I was pretty excited but they never had another shoot... Also, from a rest with a 2x scope, my XP100 in .221 fireball put three shots in 3/8" @ 200 yards. Long range pistol is a ball although my club is now limited to 100 yards.
Best shot was an empty 12 gauge shell standing up @ 100 yards with the Victor. I couldn't see it but it was at the intersection of the upright board and horizontal board on the target holder. Hit it dead center first time...

I used to shoot IHMSA Standing class (AA) with a .41 mag old model Ruger Blackhawk in the 70's. It had adjustable sights but I did'nt change the sights. I used different loads for the different ranges 170 Sierra with max 2400 @ 50, 100, 150 and 210 Sierra with max 2400 @ 200 yards. It helps to have a spotter and front sight and follow through were important. I shot at Reading and used to win regularly at Hopkington? (East of Brockton somewhere.) It was fun but ultimately, I switched to .22 as there were more shoots for them. Only offhand. Got to AAA standing and was 1979 State champ @ Framingham (then) Sportsman in standing. .22 was from 25 to 100 and there were more ranges that shot it. Last shoot was in RI in the 1990s. I had finally gotten a Contender .22 10" match in stainless. I had done all .22 up til then with a High Standard Victor. I had the zero off for the chickens with the contender but got 8/10 rams (offhand). I was pretty excited but they never had another shoot... Also, from a rest with a 2x scope, my XP100 in .221 fireball put three shots in 3/8" @ 200 yards. Long range pistol is a ball although my club is now limited to 100 yards.
Best shot was an empty 12 gauge shell standing up @ 100 yards with the Victor. I couldn't see it but it was at the intersection of the upright board and horizontal board on the target holder. Hit it dead center first time...
Impressive for sure. I miss my Victor but at those distances. 😂
One of the few guns I wish I didn’t sell way back when.

Anyone else do this? I don't know how Jerry Miculek does what he does but it's way beyond my ability. I tried the 10mm 1911 this morning at Shirley and the front sight covered an area 4' wide at 200 yards. I managed to put 7 out of 8 on the paper but it wasn't easy. I don't know where the 8th round went but I'm guessing it went high.

"Know when to hold them. Know when to fold. ...."

The first 200 yard range I was ever able to shoot on was at a boy scout event on private property. After a full day of shotgun.

Bracket rules were used. Only people who were able to shoot a skeet at 50 yards with a .22 SHORT in a rifle were allowed to go to the 200 yard bench.

Same .22 short was all that was allowed at the backstop. (which was a hill about 500 meters tall). But still. Everything I feel about ballistics and holdovers I learned that day playing with the wimpy round and trying to hit hanging plates 1m square.

You can't noodle and shoot at 200 yards with anything.

Are you a noodler ? :)

Yes. I shoot at 200. The hold over is about 36" for my G34. I can put about 5 rounds of a 22rd mag slow fire on a full size IPSC target normally. Had a reg house oil drum once at 200. Pretty easy to rapid fire every shot once you knew the hold over

Everything I feel about ballistics and holdovers I learned that day playing with the wimpy round and trying to hit hanging plates 1m square.

You can't noodle and shoot at 200 yards with anything.
no holdover shooting at ihmsa. anyone who was serious had hours upon hours of load development that resulted in precise sight adjustments. i still have my settings notebook somewhere in the archives. god help you if you changed bullet weights and didn't do the work before you took it to a match.

no holdover shooting at ihmsa. anyone who was serious had hours upon hours of load development that resulted in precise sight adjustments. i still have my settings notebook somewhere in the archives. god help you if you changed bullet weights and didn't do the work before you took it to a match.

I hear you.

Not quite sure whether .22ShortRifle at 200 yards with iron sights really matches what you are talking about though.

But man it was fun.

I shot IHMSA short distance 25 -100 yards with a .22, the longer distances to 200 yards with either a Dan Wesson revolver or A Contender both in 357 Maximum (AKA 357 Supermag). It was annoying to ping a ram but not knock it over.

I later took deer with both the revolver and contender but at distances under 30 yards.

anyone remember ron ricci's matches at camp curtis? he use to put out a .22 turkey at 200 and you got 5 shots standing for 2 bucks. if you hit it you got a half gallon of wild turkey. musta been a money maker, it wasn't hit often.

This one was built for knocking down silhouettes at 200:

QidCN3Y.jpg

Bought off the forum. XP-100 in 7mm BR with a MacMillan stock and IIRC Lilja (or comparable) barrel. No problem shooting 3/8" groups at 100. A little snappy to shoot. Hope to take to Granby for something a little more challenging than 200 yards. Need to calculate the ballistics though and see how far it will reach w/o going trans sonic.

edit- Loads with Benchmark & 150 grain Hornady ELD-X's should stay supersonic to ~850 yards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom