1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

20 Years Ago Tomorrow NEVERMIND was released.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KMS, Sep 23, 2011.

1. KMS

KMS

For those of us that had nothing to really turn to for expression except rock bands from 20+- years past,Zep,Black Sabbath,AC/DC ect.ect.

There was a few flashes in the pan for me along the way Guns and Roses and Janes Addiction(both put out awesome albums)I was chillin' a buddies house waiting for the rest of the crew to show up so we could get down and dirty with a badass game of RIFTS(not the new comp rpg nothing to do with it).Anyways my buddy hands me a cassette asking if I have ever heard of this band Nirvana,I said no and he shoves the tape in and I was in total awe at what I heard .......as music wasnt a big deal to me.I went out and bought the tape the next day along with Pearl Jams 10 which I think was released a few weeks prior.

I was transformed by this music,I could not believe the world of music the grunge era opened up for alot of people including myself...Nirvana,Pearl Jam,Mother Love Bone,Alice in Chains,Sound Garden,Green River,Temple of the Dog just to name a few.

Was I commercialized?...maybe but it opened so many doors for me music wise..I called Rock 101 on thier request line on night asking to play Nirvana,PJ or Sound Garden...they just laughed and said ahh your into the whole Seattle Scene huh course they didnt play it....they didnt play it for awhile as thier format was classic rock lol.

89-94 was probably best era for all types of music to hit the ground....I still crank a little Chronic in the 5.0 with the top down[wink]

Was alot to take in as a 17yold.

1 person likes this.

2. cekim

cekim NES Member

I like Nirvana and Foo fighters after them, but this media blitz has really been overdone. All the poetic waxing is getting to be too much...

Great music, ground breaking, sad story, but geez...

I guess I never really bought into the "specific album as life changing event," thing. I listened to and liked them at the time, but my life did not change because if it.

Oh, and the one Nirvana song I will drop everything and listen to every time is All Apologies, unplugged...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  3. KMS

KMS

Nirvana was a stepping stone for me really Soundgarden and Pearl Jam put better albums in that time,Chris Cornell's voice still blows me away.If anyone that went to Lollapalooza '92 at Great Woods...that was an amazing show still the best show and atmosphere I have ever been too.

Alice in Chains is still my all time favorite band though.

4. Dija

Dija

Man, time flies.

5. qmmo

qmmo NES Member

Oct. 2002, my very last time on stage and the very last song I ever played in public: Pearl Jam's "Alive". Sat in with a cover band (Kick the Cat) at Bob's in Bridgewater...both my kids were there and were floored their old man did it. Great music will always be great. Hearing a tune from 20 years ago makes me remember the good times that had been forgotten. Need to listen more often.

6. saltydude

saltydude

Dude sick 1000th post! +1

I consider the same era & bands to have fallen into my music generation.
    I've been so entertained through the years listening to those bands & has inspired my music greatly....

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  7. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

I remember when I first heard "Smells like Teen Spirit", I was blown away. I had just started to learn to play guitar and this was one of the first songs I learned. To this day, I think Nirvana and Alice in Chains are the two best MTV unplugged albums. They can both be played cover to cover over and over.

With this said, IMO, I don't believe that Nirvana invented grunge or alternative music as many people say. They definitely helped get it to where it is but bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Janes Addiction, STP, would never have dreamed the music they did if it weren't for bands like Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Clash, and of course Iggy

8. gunclinger

gunclinger

And the baby on the album cover is now almost old enough to drink and get his LTC!

9. Ex-Pat Texan

Ex-Pat Texan

Some folks might dispute my right to say it but..

Damn I feel old..

Right around the 20th anniversary for PJ's Ten I had a couple of six hour drives. It made a great accompaniment..

10. noddaduma

noddaduma

Seriously, now I know how those hippies in the Freedom Rock commercials felt like. "Is that Nirvana man?" "yeah it is man" "Well turn it up man!"

11. OCB

OCB

Yeah, I always preferred Pearl Jam to Nirvana. To this day, I can still listen to Ten all the way through. The remastered version is definitely worth buying if you like PJ at all. I can't believe it's been 20 years...

12. sdavid

sdavid

A girl in high school used to write me notes quoting AIC lyrics. IIRC I was stationed in Newport, RI when alternative became mainstream.

13. kiver

kiver

Bastards killed 80's hair bands. I loved '80's hair bands

1 person likes this.
  14. Slowdive

Slowdive

I remember that time well, for me the breakthrough album released that year (Nov 4th) was the "Loveless" album by My Bloody Valentine.

F'ing brilliant. Of course it never got any mainstream airplay and grunge pretty much drove the miasma / shoegazer genre into obscurity.

15. twinbrook86

twinbrook86

Soundgarden is far and away better then nirvana. I like nirvana but soundgarden knew how to rock

16. cekim

cekim NES Member

Eh, 2 hit wonder compared to Nirvana... [wink]

17. KMS

KMS

Slaves & Bulldozers,Mind Riot,Searching for the ground with my good eye closed...are awesome tunes.

18. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

Nirvana is my favorite band of all time. I remember sitting around with a bunch of my friends waiting for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" to debut on MTV. This is when MTV was cool and played videos 24/7.

I never got into Sound Garden, PJ or STP as much but I still couldn't avoid their grunge sound. I loved that period in my life. All I had was my skateboard, yellow Sony sports Walkman and Nevermind. I was unstoppable.

19. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

20. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

I CAN'T HELP MYSELF RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  21. Lip

Lip Army Veteran

Never liked Nirvana. The band blew chunks. The Offspring was a better band.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  22. saltydude

saltydude

Sorry can't let this opinion go unanswered but WHAT!!!! Those no talent smucks. Keep em seperated? OMG instant change of the radio station. That queers voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

I'll admit alot of Nirvana's recordings were kind of rough & I'm not a mega fan but Put enough money, promotion & airtime behind Offspring singing Mary had a little lamb & the sheeple will listen. Uggg.
    Hey I'm entitled to my O! [smile]

23. SheepDog_B

SheepDog_B

Pretty wild it's been 20 years. I really liked Nirvana for years and years but have had a hard time listening to them for ages now.
    I was a drummer for a long time and we covered just about every Nirvana song, pretty much burnt me out. I didn't get burned out from the other artists we played tho... I can't take away the fact that that it was ground breaking in a way but I think it gets too much credit as being the baseline of originality for all good rock that came out in that time. As folks mentioned Alice in Chains, STP, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, soo many good bands gained momentum in that era.

... and anyone that thinks offspring is better than Nirvana... your entitled to your opinion, but I think your gonna fall a peg or two in most folks book haha

24. Lip

Lip Army Veteran

Yes you are, but nirvana still blew chunks

25. KMS

KMS

Offspring?

rofl

26. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

I never minded The Offspring. They will never be mentioned as one of my favorite bands, but I think they have a couple good songs.

27. RATTLESNAKE

RATTLESNAKE

[rofl] VERY TRUE....

28. George D

George D NES Member

I remember it very vividly. I had given up on music as hair bands had gone from tolerable to outright asinine. I was in my art studio at school in New Bedford, very late at night. Another guy came in and set up his boom box and dropped in Nevermind. At first, i found it abrasive, as I had been listening to a lot of 70's progressive rock, but by the end of the first side, I couldn't wait to hear the second side. I was playing in bar bands at the time to help pay for school and our set list was Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Screaming Trees, Red Hot Chili Peppers and a bunch of 70's rock. Some of the albums released at that time will go down in history as being mile stones.

29. endus

endus

Grunge was the last quality wave of "pop" music. I don't think the climate and society is amenable to quality music becoming popular anymore. It's all corporatized sanitized bullshit.

30. George D

George D NES Member

I don't know, I remember the same thing being said in the 80's when synthesizers became popular along with sampling. One thing I have noticed is that kids are becoming interested in playing instruments again. At one point, everyone wanted to be an MC with two turntables and a microphone (where it's at!) but at least now I see kids wanting instruments for their birthday/Christmas/ Festivus.