20 questions LTC Quiz

Legally. There is no quiz. As in the State Laws do not provide for one. If one is added to your process, it is completely a construction of the local PD, acting outside the letter of their sworn duty, perhaps within the scope of their legal powers.

With out knowing what city/town you are applying in, it's impossible to prepare you. It is not impossible to know your rights and read the state laws. And hope that Lens or others step in to clean up the answers.
This^^^
and it only took 51 posts to get a real answer, you guys are slipping [laugh]

I just got my LTC in Woburn this summer. For all those questioning, yes there is a quiz. It was all multiple choice or True/False, but the questions were somewhat tough due to how specific they were. The best of my memory:

- They asked what you are allowed to do/own with an FID (and age requirements)
- How long do you have to notify after a change of address (and specifically WHO to notify)
- How long you have to challenge a suspension of license (and to which court...I think the question was district vs superior)
- Do you need a FID to carry Mace

There were a lot of questions about timing (how long you have to do X or Y) and questions about who you notify when X or Y happens.

If you study the 1988 Mass gun control legislation they have linked on their site you will be good.

FYI - I got 2 of 20 wrong and they just told me the correct answers. Had no effect on me getting my license or not. But I don't know if it would have changed things if I got a bunch wrong.
Thanks. Restricted or unrestricted?

Someone should post the "quiz" as a public service

Hell, at my PD, my kid had to educate them on the laws pertaining to the FID - first they told him he needed to be 18 (he was 15), then they tried to charge $100 (should be $25)
My experience too, most LEOs don't have a good grasp on the gun laws. My former chief and a few others used to reach out to me with questions over the years. The current chief and deputy wasn't giving out MIRCS receipts and I finally educated them . . . at least they changed the policy and started issuing the receipts. But they won't reach out (and I offered) on other legal questions where they might well give out bad info that will cost residents dearly in $$$ and lost guns.

Thanks. Restricted or unrestricted?

Restricted. They told me they (Woburn) do not ever give unrestricted to first time LTC applicants and that I could apply for unrestricted on my renewal. Although, I had two NRA instructors tell me that if I wait a year or so and ask, they would probably remove the restriction.

I got the sporting restriction. Looks like there are even worse restrictions. Hopefully they don't give you anything worse than Sporting.

Does anyone else think it's funny that they want to play "20 Questions"...???

1603292356718.png

My experience too, most LEOs don't have a good grasp on the gun laws. My former chief and a few others used to reach out to me with questions over the years. The current chief and deputy wasn't giving out MIRCS receipts and I finally educated them . . . at least they changed the policy and started issuing the receipts. But they won't reach out (and I offered) on other legal questions where they might well give out bad info that will cost residents dearly in $$$ and lost guns.
The police don't need our help. They know it all, and we are mere serfs who must comply.

They should accept help though from former auxiliary police etc. Maybe they were just sick and tired of hearing from you? Oh well. at least you tried to help.

Thans

Restricted. They told me they (Woburn) do not ever give unrestricted to first time LTC applicants and that I could apply for unrestricted on my renewal. Although, I had two NRA instructors tell me that if I wait a year or so and ask, they would probably remove the restriction.

I got the sporting restriction. Looks like there are even worse restrictions. Hopefully they don't give you anything worse than Sporting.
that sux. Thanks again.

So, you're saying that there's no downside to the PD? [laugh]

The answer to question 10: So long and thanks for all the fish

BTW, this thread delivers! I can't wait to see what happens next when they apply for a ham radio license. ps: all ham radios are bacon scented that's on the test.

How long is a Smoot?

Where does @EddieCoyle hide car keys?

In what city is the biggest collection of FFL's in Massachusetts?

Are Glocks legal in MA?

Are AR15's legal in MA?

Can you legally open carry a firearm in Massachusetts?

Where is ammo available cheap?

Should I tell a police officer I am concealed carrying during a traffic stop?

Is a WASR really the most accurate of the AK47 family?

How many blanks should I load in my magazine to show a robber I'm not afraid to shoot them?

Study the answers to these hard. And for extra credit...

"000 xx xx 0x0 xx xx 0000000000000"
If you see these tracks in the snow which animal has been mating in your backyard?

How long is a Smoot?

Where does @EddieCoyle hide car keys?

In what city is the biggest collection of FFL's in Massachusetts?

Are Glocks legal in MA?

Are AR15's legal in MA?

Can you legally open carry a firearm in Massachusetts?

Where is ammo available cheap?

Should I tell a police officer I am concealed carrying during a traffic stop?

Is a WASR really the most accurate of the AK47 family?

How many blanks should I load in my magazine to show a robber I'm not afraid to shoot them?

Study the answers to these hard. And for extra credit...

"000 xx xx 0x0 xx xx 0000000000000"
If you see these tracks in the snow which animal has been mating in your backyard?

Mona Lisa Vito has advised me to hire an attorney as some of these may be trick questions.

How about the National Firearm Act of 1934 or The Gun Control Act of 1968, or the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 or the District of Columbia v. Heller case. ask them if those are on the quiz as well. How about the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution?

What direction does the barrel face when you're shooting?
Does it matter what ammo you use as long as it can fit somewhere in the gun?
Why should you look down the barrel to make sure the gun is ready to fire?
How many drinks should you have before you go shooting?

How long is a Smoot?
5 feet 7 inches. Named for Oliver Smoot, a frat brother @ MIT. The Mass Ave bridge over the Charles river between Boston and Cambridge is measured in Smoots. Supposedly the frat brothers made Smoot lie on the sidewalk on the bridge end-to-end repeatedly while they marked off the lengths. Anything for a laugh.

The Woburn Police webpage says that they tell applicants to study a Summary of 1998 Gun Control laws and a Summary of the 2014 changes to gun laws.

It also says no letters of reference from Woburn Police Officers. So a least they realize they are not good references and can't be trusted.

Back
Top Bottom