• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

20 gauge slug gun recommendations

rep308

NES Member
I can't hit anything with my 12 gauge Mossburg 500 with a slug barrel. I use to blame the gun, I now accept that I don't like the recoil and have the mother of all flinches. I'm in the market for a 20 gauge slug gun for hunting and will put a shotgun scope on it. I'm thinking of getting a Model 11-87™ Sportsman® Deer

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_11-87/model_11-87_sportsman_deer.asp

The 11-87 is a proven firearm. This will be a dedicated 20 gauge slug gun, I have a couple 20 bird and field guns. Gunbroker has them listed for about $400. I was going to have Carl order me one.

I'm open for other suggestions. The Ithaca Deerslayer III is interesting, having had a factory tour when they actually were in Ithaca, but they seem to run about $1200. I'll never get a 200 yard shot hunting in New England.

Advice please, I'm looking for a good dedicated 20 gauge slug gun for deer hunting that I will be scoping out.

Thank you for your advice

Get a 12 guage semi. Recoil problem fixed and you wont loose as many deer. 20 guage is not most effective round on a deer.

Rep308, have you tried using a Knoxx Technologies CompStock or a SpecOps stock? I used to hate the recoil of my 12 guage until I tried the CompStock on a friend's gun. It REALLY soaks up the recoil.

Contrary what you may believe arlow a 20 ga slug is more than effective on deer. It is also far more accurate at longer distances.

Yes in the hands of someone like you I am sure it can be. Not in everyones hands though.

If you are an excellent shot and if you can put that slug through both lungs at every range you decide to shoot at yes it can be very effective. However in my experiences most hunters are not fanatics about their accuracy and that proficeint with their weapons as you and I probably are. My 12 guage shoots 3" groups at 125 yards. You cannot get much better than that IMHO.

Given that many people do not hit exactly where they aim, especially on longer shots, the bigger bullet and greater damage done is a great advantage on less than perfect shots. This is why I am an advocate of only the 12 guage for deer except for individuals who put the time and effort to perfect their proficiency with other guages.

I can't handle a 12 gauge slug, I can handle a 20 gauge. I've tried limb saver pads and shoulder pad. I want a 20 scoped out with a Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope.

I want more than one round, or I'd just use my omega black powder (250 gn @1800 fps). I'm down on semi auto for hunting, so I'm down to a pump. I will check out the Benelli Nova, but am leaning towards the Remington because there are a bazillion of them in the field.

Thanks for the advice

Just curious, why do you dismiss semi autos for hunting? ( I am also a fan of pumps by the way )

One too many jams. I own a number of semi's, I'm just more comfortable with the pump. I also like to own common guns so that I can easily get parts. I own and love my Ruger deerfield .44 mag semi auto. I'd like to find a Benelli Nova pump to hold, but I'm leaning towards the Remington 870

I don't think you'll find the recoil on a 20 to less than a 12. 20's are usually a little bit lighter and with less weight to the shotgun you will get more percieved recoil.

Shotgun recoil is a mix of powder charge (FPS) and "bullet" weight. The more of either and the more recoil.

Now that you have the flinch, you're going to have to learn to deal with it. I would try a couple things:
1. Pick up a couple cases of Winchester AA12FL8 shells. So called Featherlights. These are the lightest recoiling - ie lowest velocity and lightest shot load out on the market. Use them and shoot some trap or skeet. Or just shoot them to get used to the idea.
2. I'd bring that Mossy to a good Smitty and have him install a "dead mule" in the stock. This will increase the weight of the shotgun and the recoil reducer will help reduce the recoil. You can get them from Brownells. See: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=4927&title=MERCURY RECOIL SUPPRESSOR.

You need to relearn to shoot that shotgun and not mind the recoil or that flinch will follow you to rifle as well.

Oh, and hold it tight to your shoulder when you pull the trigger. <VBG>

Been there and done that. Still have the old tee shirt.

H&R 20 guage ultra slug gun. Seriously this is a GREAT gun. 150 yard shots no problem and the gun can be bought for 250. I have used a rem 870, a ithica deer slayer, a mossberg 500. This by far is the best gun. Plus you can practice for hours and not blow out your shoulder http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraslug.asp.

Here's another recommendation for the Ultra-slug hunter. Mine cost me about as much as a slug barrel for my Mossberg and it's more accurate to boot.

Here's another recommendation for the Ultra-slug hunter. Mine cost me about as much as a slug barrel for my Mossberg and it's more accurate to boot.

While that is a great gun he has stated he does not want to limit himself to a single shot weapon.

Rep 308, here is a gun you might want to seriously consider. I have the same thing in 12 guage and it is a tack driver.

http://www.bghi.us/index.php?x=slugster

+1

I have the same gun in 12ga. I bought it because it was very cheap. I was flabbergasted at the accuracy I got out of it. Only thing I don't like about it is that is very barrel heavy.

Find yourself a nice used Ithaca 37 from the 70's-late 80's. I own two 12 guages and they shoot great. Many nice deer have fallen to these smoothbores with regular old slugs. They like the Classic Federals best.

Look on GunsAmerica or Gun Broker.com

Back
Top Bottom