• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

20 gauge modification question

blindndead

NES Member
Long story short.
Friend of mine has a 20 gauge mossberg for sale cheap money. He is a bird hunter I'm not. I thinking of chopping it to make a home defense shotgun seeing I dont have one, Nice gun for under 100 bucks.

What is the right way to chop a barrel? Is it just strait forward or is there something I need to know? overall the gun is 48 inches long want to take a foot off = 36 which is still legal for MA ( correct me if I'm wrong).
Or is it not worth the time. any good help , links, vids will earn rep points thanks all.

Which model? IIRC, Mossberg used to sell a 18" 20ga. barrel for the 500 series.

From a legal perspective, it must have a minimum barrel length of 18" and a minimum overall length of 26".

Just make sure it is legal length, and you cut it square so it doesn't look hokey. I don't know about the bluing on the end. If a single barrel, you could probably use one of those pipe cutters to scribe it before breaking out the hacksaw. Were you planning on a front sight?

Model 500 CT. OK let me do some looking.

I did a quick search, and anecdotal evidence suggest that though the barrel is not listed on their website, it still may be available. Call Mossberg (800-363-3555) and ask about part #10031 or #90035.

Planning on a front sight and bluing was going to be my next question.
OK I can cut from breach face say 18.5 which overall will make the gun 39 inches give or take so thats all good.

I can't seem to find one of these for sale anywhere.

Has anyone ever used a pipe cutter to cut a shotgun barrel? I wonder if this would work. I would imagine if you did it very slow and took your time it would work fine.

On the other hand I bet a good gunsmith can do this for you for short money.

Back
Top Bottom