• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

20 ga slug gun?

boilermaker

NES Member
I am bird hunter who is thinking of getting a slug barrel for my 20 ga for the upcoming deer season. However I am unsure if the 20 ga slug has enough power for the deer? Everyone I know uses 12ga on deer. Does anyone have any experience with this?

In my opinion a 20ga slug is far superior to a 12ga slug at typical shotgun ranges. There are lots of benifits to having a 20, formost is they are lighter and will shoot flatter. I know a lot of guys who hunt with them. I would change if I could find the right deal on a 20ga slug gun

I use 20 ga sabots that are .50 call 260 grain at 1900/fps, that better than most 45-70 loads. Knocks deer down fast.

I want to switch to 20 ga. just so I can practice more and not beat myself up. Too many shots at the range from a 12 ga. lightweight pump gun can be tough on the shoulder.

You don't need a slug barrel - just shoot slugs through your bird barrel. I shoot mainly sluggers, through modified choked bead sighted guns and have pretty decent accuracy. It ain't a rifle by any means, but it will do the job inside 75 yards, and gauge will not matter one whit - I use 20, 12 and 16's. I will admit the rifled barrel with sabot slugs will outdistance me and my smoothbore, but I don't feel too handicapped.

Back
Top Bottom