• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Garys

NES Member
The M38 I ordered arrived today. It came from xxxxx, and I think it's in pretty decent shape. Even the import markings aren't very obtrusive. Bore is clean, bright, with sharp rifling, although it is counterbored about an inch back from the muzzle. The safety is easy to turn, unlike what I've read about many of the M44s reviewed.

The wood doesn't seem to have the cheap shellac that I've also read about. Once I remove the Cosmoline, I'll clean it up and apply some Orange Glo.

It needs a complete strip down and cleaning, but there's not a ton of Cosmoline on it. Not as clean as the K31, but not bad.

Oh, I almost forgot. 1943 manufacture, bolt and receiver match, magazine floor plate force matched. Izhevsk made, if I read the symbol correctly.

Anyway here are some not so good pictures,

Accs.jpg

M3804.jpg

M3803.jpg

M3802.jpg

M3801.jpg

I think an SKS is next on the list while there are some good ones still out there at reasonable prices.

Gary

Edited by LenS-Mod: to protect our friendly mailorder sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice rifle Gary. Does it sit in a 38 stock?
Better to have a rifle that is counterbored than one that needs to be counterbored [wink]

Looks good to me. Counterbored M38s are common, i'd say its pretty rare to find one thats not counterbored. Best part about these rifles is the fireball and BOOM! [smile] Folks will come over to me at the range from the other yard lines and ask if I was shooting a 50 thats how loud they are.
I'd say you're going from cleanest to a little greasy, to very messy if you're thinking SKS next.[grin]

JonJ said:
Nice rifle Gary. Does it sit in a 38 stock?

As far as I can tell yes. There doesn't appear to be a bayonet cut out. I'll try to get some better pictures later on. I hear you on the counterbore comment!

Gary

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Looks good to me. Counterbored M38s are common, i'd say its pretty rare to find one thats not counterbored. Best part about these rifles is the fireball and BOOM! [smile]

So, I've heard. <G>

Milsurps 4 Me said:
I'd say you're going from cleanest to a little greasy, to very messy if you're thinking SKS next.[grin]

I've also heard this. One of the C&R dealers advertises free Cosmoline with every SKS.

Gary

Pretty nice looking. None of my Mosin's are c'bored and I've always wondered if it hurts accuracy at all.
My laminated stock, 1943 mosin M38 looks like it was carved out of demolition debris with a mason's hammer. I missed the first wave and had to take what was available. By consolation, I got a NEW Polish M44 and a beautiful, rearsenalled Finn M39.

Some people say that counterboring improves accuracy because of less vibration of the sight. I don't really know enough to opine.

Thanks for the nice words Type01303, I think it's going to be a nice piece. It needs a bit of cleaning, but it's seems to be in good shape.

I did find out by accident that the bolt comes apart pretty easily! <G>

Gary

Garys said:
I did find out by accident that the bolt comes apart pretty easily! <G>

Gary

LOL, yeah they do. I often thought about the inexperienced Russian soldier going to take his out for inspection and having the thing fall apart and get lost in the debris and snow of a battlefield. Talk about SOL!

BTW, nice to see another bench cluttered like mine. Shows you work on your guns. [grin]

be8edd47.jpg

Milsurps 4 Me said:
LOL, yeah they do. I often thought about the inexperienced Russian soldier going to take his out for inspection and having the thing fall apart and get lost in the debris and snow of a battlefield. Talk about SOL!

That wouldn't be all that funny to the soldier or the Sgt! <G> What I did was remove the bolt and then turn the knob to the safe position. Which caused all sorts of fun. It took a bit to get it back together, but I did it without having to refer to any of the on line resources. I can see how the whole thing comes apart. It doesn't look too bad to do, especially after it's been done a few times. At least that's my guess.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
BTW, nice to see another bench cluttered like mine. Shows you work on your guns. [grin]

That's my everything bench, which used to be mostly electronic stuff. However, I'm slowly adding gun work to it's functions. I have some stuff, and will be adding some more as time and money allow.

Is there any trick to getting the barrel bands off? Seems that some of the Cosmoline has dried and caked up around the bands.

Gary

Garys said:
Is there any trick to getting the barrel bands off? Seems that some of the Cosmoline has dried and caked up around the bands.

Gary

Spray a little Break Free on the barrel bands and the spring that holds them in place and gently scrub it in with an old toothbrush. That should get the cosmolene loosened up. Then wipe it dry and press down on the retaining spring. You should be able to get the band to move forward enough to keep the spring compressed. Sometimes a small block of wood placed behind the band, then light taps with a hammer will be enough to push it forward.
One of my most usefull milsurp disassembly tools is a small block of wood and a light hammer. Often dirt gets in there and dries up the cosmolene and makes it like a glue to where parts don't want to budge like they normally should. Brass punches work well for metal parts but I always use wood when working near a stock so not to gouge it. If your handy enough you can take a nice hardwood chunk and cut it down to a good working size and use that to push barrel bands and compress stock springs.
Always take out the cleaning rod first, especially if you ever take down a Turkish Mauser. The front band spring can't compress on those unless the cleaning rod is out first.
Check your firing pin's protrusion too after reassembling your bolt. There should be a tool with measurements in the cleaning kit. Surplusrifle.com explains how they work. Good idea to read up on cures for Sticky Bolt syndrome often encountered with Mosins on that site too.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try. I have some Breakfree, actually I got it based on your advice. I'll try the piece of wood trick too. Surplusrifle.com has a lot of really good information. The disassembly and reassembly instructions with pictures are pretty helpful.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom