1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

2 Saudi oil tankers damaged by sabotage attacks

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TC McQuade, May 13, 2019.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger NES Member

Well, I guess you're right. The Saudia's have managed to maintain their 'values'. But those are pretty abhorrent values.

2. kevin9

kevin9

Looking maybe like limpet mines instead of torpedoes. Matches the descriptions of damage I've been seeing (above the water line), and a lower technology that's reliably within Iranian skills.

Video Shows Iranians Removing Limpet Mine from Tanker, CENTCOM Says
    [​IMG]

3. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

You're missing the sarcasm.

4. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

6B42C76C-3012-4DB4-9DC5-35B800CC6986.png Stop the presses. I have credible evidence on exactly who did it!

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Limpets always beat torpedos. I thought we all knew that.

[​IMG]

6. new guy

new guy NES Member

7. xtry51

xtry51

My shocked face [hmmm]

Iran has nothing to gain. They were meeting with the Japanese at the moment this happened.

I'd sooner believe Bolton fired a rocket himself at this tanker than Iran attacked it by mine/torpedo/missile.

Rekonn likes this.
  8. hminsky

hminsky NES Life Member NES Member

https://politics.theonion.com/bleeding-john-bolton-stumbles-into-capitol-building-cla-1834847900

NEWS IN BRIEF
    Bleeding John Bolton Stumbles Into Capitol Building Claiming That Iran Shot Him

[​IMG]

WASHINGTON—Bursting through the Congressional chamber doors while moaning and clutching his shoulder, John Bolton reportedly stumbled into the Capitol building Friday claiming that he’d been shot by Iran. “Help, help, I’ve just been attacked by a large Middle Eastern country around 636,000 square miles in size,” said the national security advisor, telling those assembled that he’d just been minding his own business when an aggressive Islamic Republic had thrown him on the ground and shot him with a long-range missile. “Right after Iran shot me, I heard the nation laugh and say ‘Somebody stop me before I go on a homicidal rampage.’ It was acting crazed and irrational, and I could smell enriched uranium coming from one of its urban centers. Please, hurry, if we move quickly, we might still be able to catch it before it’s too late.” Upon further questioning, Bolton admitted that the incident had happened so fast that it was possible he’d been attacked by Venezuela or North Korea.

xtry51 and new guy like this.
  9. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

o_O

Iran fast-boats preventing towing of damaged Altair tanker - source

WASHINGTON, June 14 (Reuters) - Iranian military fast-boats in the Gulf of Oman are preventing two privately owned tug boats from towing away an oil tanker damaged in attacks on Thursday, a U.S. official said on Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The U.S. official did not say how the United States knew of the reported standoff between the Iranian fast-boats and the tug boats, which were trying to tie up and tow away the Norwegian-owned Front Altair. The United States blames Iran for Thursday's attacks against the Altair and the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous.

Tehran denies the accusations. (Reporting by Phil Stewart Editing by James Dalgleish)

10. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

11. rep308

rep308 NES Member

Great, our Navy gets to protect the Gulf so that the flow of oil to China in not interrupted. Why the heck do we care again? See below, I'm not kidding

How much oil does the U.S. export and import?

...In the third quarter of 2018, the U.S. imported roughly 10.2 million barrels of petroleum per day,3 with the largest amounts coming from Canada (41%) and Saudi Arabia (10%).4

Top 15 Crude Oil Suppliers to China

...Forty-five countries supplied crude petroleum oil to China in 2018. Roughly half (44.1%) of Chinese imported crude oil originates from nine Middle Eastern nations ranging from $748.8 million from Qatar up to $29.7 billion for Saudi Arabia....

12. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

It's the percentages.... eliminate 20% of the worlds supply via the straights, and you will see 12-15$ a gallon gasoline and a global war.

30 to 40 miles of waterway is a scary small bottleneck.

Running US warships alongside tankers is an inevitable defensive end game.

I have always suggested a large number of small boats, well equipped with missiles, torpedoes, high tek radar and overhead communications with larger caliber weapons to confront small boats of other countries in the Gulf. 150 small boats makes more sense to me than a friggin air craft carrier and battle group.

13. Rekonn

Rekonn NES Member

14. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

the short answer? Oil is a fungible commodity. That means the price is set globally, and we have to pay that price here in the USA, even if we have texas tea bubbling up from our backyard swamps, just like jed clampett.

a 2nd answer is....our trading partners will have to pay much higher oil prices, which means we can not sell our stuff as easily overseas, and stuff we buy from overseas is now more expensive.

a 3rd reason...it allows bad actors like Russia more political influence when they try to get the EU hooked on using their natural gas thru the pipeline.

about the only GOOD thing that might come from all this, is USA supplying more liquified natural gas to the EU...which would make our trade imbalances look better.

15. xtry51

xtry51

There is a substantial assumption above that is false. The oil being produced in total does not go down. It simply finds other routes to be consumed. If the strait were to fully close either Asian or African nations would create another massive pipeline around it (maybe ever both). There might be a very short term rise in prices, but the market will find a way around the strait and the oil doesn't disappear.

The myth we need to be in that area involved with ME trade routes beyond defending American vessels from physical attack or piracy is just that, a myth.

It is not 1970 anymore and people need to stop treating geopolitics as if technology, communications and trade have not globalized in the last 50 years.

16. new guy

new guy NES Member

Fox's Tucker Carlson Privately Advising Trump Against War With Iran: Report