• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2 questions on MA gun laws...

2 questions here:

1) I have a LTC class-A. However, under 'reasons for issuance' it says 'sporting and target'. My current understanding is that such wording means that I can NEVER carry concealed. I was just wondering if this was true or not. Also, can one try to have it changed to ALP w/o re-applying (therefore spending another 100 bucks)?

2) My friend wants to get his FID/LTC and will be getting a .22 rifle from a relative. He lives in Boston, and doesn't have a car. If he were to want to take his rifle to a range in the city or take it out of the city (on the T) to shoot with me... how can he do that? Can he just walk around with a locked rifle case in hand? Take said case onto the T? Or is anyone w/o a car screwed?

Thanks ahead of time for any/all information you guys have! Thanks.

Midknight,

1. Legally no a restricted LTC like this means NO CCW, ever. Doing so and getting caught would mean certain revocation and deem you as "unsuitable" for life in most cities/towns! Getting an unrestricted LTC-A will depend on your town, attitude of CLEO and what he expects for reasons. I would not re-apply unless I had a "sit down" first and understood that a LTC-A/ALP WOULD indeed be issued.

Some generic info on some ways that you may get an ALP "upgrade" are:
- Move out of city/town (just about the only way if you live in places like Boston or Cambridge),
- Get a job as LEO (even an armed security job in anti-gun cities/towns would most likely result in restricted to work only),
- new pro-gun chief appointed in your town,
- sit down with chief and have a frank discussion on "what would it take to get upgraded?".
- Become very politically connected.

For instance, I know some folks with Boston LTC-A/ALP (unrestricted), but they are all either/or LEO or politically connected.

Boston will double charge you if you apply for a change in status, that you can be certain of. Most importantly, unless you qualify as above, you will be denied an upgrade.

Some other cities/towns MIGHT be willing to re-issue and drop your restriction, you need to talk with them first. If you have the new plastic cc-sized LTC there is some LE scuttlebutt that they can notify CHSB and re-issue with no restriction and MIGHT NOT charge you. Note: they still might charge you the $100, it is not clearly defined in law/regs to re-issue at no charge. Boston always does its own thing with fees, so my statement above stands for them.

2. Boston LTC/FID. Same cost and hassle, might as well go for the LTC. It will be restricted, but still a lot better than an FID (that is damn near useless with our current laws). MANY years ago I noticed someone on the T (subway) with a rifle case. I would NOT recommend it, as there is a good chance today that a gang-banger would recognize it, follow him and "relieve him of it" on his way to wherever he was headed. Put it this way, if I were carrying a rifle case, I'd also have a loaded handgun on my hip . . . and he'll never get a LTC-A/ALP in Boston that would permit him to do that! This is not a "law" issue (it's not illegal to transport firearms on the T, although if you asked the T, I'm sure that they would say otherwise), it is a common sense issue. Now, if he had a CAR-15 and put it in a violin case, not a problem on the T . . . gang bangers aren't into violins! [twisted]

Back
Top Bottom