2 months to squirrel season who's already thinking about it?

Finally got out yesterday and tried McIlvaine Town forest in Windham for Grey squirrels. I didn't see anything but birds and chipmunks. Lots of acorns everywhere but not greys to be seen. Walked about around, stopping every 10 feet to listen and watch but didn't see or find anything. Got some good exercise, looking try again Friday. Anyone have any experience in this area or suggestions for places to try near Salem, NH? I did come across 2 blinds and 1 stand.

Finally got out yesterday and tried McIlvaine Town forest in Windham for Grey squirrels. I didn't see anything but birds and chipmunks. Lots of acorns everywhere but not greys to be seen. Walked about around, stopping every 10 feet to listen and watch but didn't see or find anything. Got some good exercise, looking try again Friday. Anyone have any experience in this area or suggestions for places to try near Salem, NH? I did come across 2 blinds and 1 stand.

The acorns you are seeing......are they new fallen whole ones or are they chewed up? If you see freshly cut acorn hulls you should stick around that area. Squirrels don't travel too far.....and they make alot of acorn cuttings on the forest floor this time of year.

I suggest you look down at the ground as you walk.....just .y 2 cents.

The acorns you are seeing......are they new fallen whole ones or are they chewed up? If you see freshly cut acorn hulls you should stick around that area. Squirrels don't travel too far.....and they make alot of acorn cuttings on the forest floor this time of year.

Thanks whacko, I will try again since the location is a 5 minute drive from my house. The area varies but the entrance is littered with chewed up acron hulls. I wasn't sure if it was squirrels or chipmunks chewing them up. I figured if I find acorns, I'm in the right area. There is a good mix of 50/50 of acorn trees and pine trees. I went later in the day and it was pretty active at approx. 3:45 to 4:15, I just didn't spot anything besides chipmunks. I stayed till about 5:30, no hunting 30 mins before dusk.

Looking forward to trying again perhaps Friday afternoon or in the morning this weekend.

I would also suggest spending more time being still, as it can take 30 minutes for squirrels to forget they spotted you.

Back
Top Bottom