• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2 months to squirrel season who's already thinking about it?

Chicken of the Trees?

You eat them? Always thought it would be fun but I don't want to kill them just for fun of it. Maybe I can 'try' one some day :)

- - - Updated - - -

What is your 'squirrel gun'?

You would be surprised how good they taste.

I saw a guy once inflate a rabbit.

It was USAF survival school and the instructor had just thumped our dinner with a stick (wasn't shot, so might be a factor). The instructor then cut a small hole in the rabbits back leg and blew into it like a balloon and the rabbit inflated. Made skinning easy as pie and entertaining, too.

I saw a guy once inflate a rabbit.

It was USAF survival school and the instructor had just thumped our dinner with a stick (wasn't shot, so might be a factor). The instructor then cut a small hole in the rabbits back leg and blew into it like a balloon and the rabbit inflated. Made skinning easy as pie and entertaining, too.

I'll take the entertainment factor.
But a rabbits skin comes off like a sock anyway. Very easy.

I'm seeing another reason to thin out my gun safes - what to bring for a hunt.

I'm torn between a 20ga sxs, my 10/22 (what optic? dot or 4x?) or a handgun (buckmark or single six?)

Decisions decisions...I think the 10/22 and a 4x scope will win the day as the most practical - but is it the most fun?

Anyone got any good tips for early season squirrel? Find a nice berry tree, hunker down and wait for dinner to scamper by?

I'm seeing another reason to thin out my gun safes - what to bring for a hunt.

I'm torn between a 20ga sxs, my 10/22 (what optic? dot or 4x?) or a handgun (buckmark or single six?)

Decisions decisions...I think the 10/22 and a 4x scope will win the day as the most practical - but is it the most fun?

Anyone got any good tips for early season squirrel? Find a nice berry tree, hunker down and wait for dinner to scamper by?

20 gauge for sure. Don't launch 22 bullets up into trees. It's just a bad idea. Use 4 or 6 size birdshot. High brass. Reaches the top of any tree.

Find oak stands of forest. Go in early before sunup. Sit in the oak stand quiet and don't move. You'll see em start moving as the sun just comes up.

If that doesn't work for about 30 minutes after the sun comes up.....slow stalk. Look for fresh chewed acorns on the ground.......spend some time in those spots.

Windy days look in the bottom 1/3 of the canopy......they don't like to swing too much lol. Calm days look for branches and leaves that are moving up high.

If you see one that is too far out.....slow stalk closer. If they spot you and hide.....just wait for 5-10 minutes they have a short memory and will come out again.

Good luck

Come and get me, muther****er, ill be waitin [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]
8d742a88f42522ca51f90f52b447cabf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you eat crow? [rofl]

I wouldn't eat crow if you put a gun to my head.

blackbirds.jpg

Single shot 410?

That, or .22 shorts!

No better way to get the kids into hunting than squirrel. High success rate....not too difficult.......teach em how to move quiet in the woods.....make a meal out of your harvest when you get home.

Good stuff here. All the right things happening. Rabbit is even better.

Two friends and I are planning a camping/squirrel hunting trip for the end of October in the Beartown State Forest. Anyone have a suggestion for a camp friendly recipe?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Two friends and I are planning a camping/squirrel hunting trip for the end of October in the Beartown State Forest. Anyone have a suggestion for a camp friendly recipe?

Go total survivalist mode......just meat and heat.

Trip sounds like fun though. Enjoy

Last edited:

Bring a fishing rod with you. There's some nice fish in Lake Benedict. Make it survivalist surf and turf.

I'd go with spinning setup. I've caught some nice perch and smallies, and a few large mouths, along the sidewalk near the beach. The smaller perch are all over the swimming area during the summer.

Will do. Liking the Surf and Turf idea!

Finally got out today. Got a nice rise to sit in between two nests under white oak and hickory.

Too bad my hunting partners were making just a bit too much noise and commotion. Oh well, we hunt to teach patience and sometimes nothing comes to those who wait. After all, it isn't called shopping.

But, bring afield with my kids is worth the empty bag on the way out. We've got months ahead.

IMG_0386.jpg

Finally got out today. Got a nice rise to sit in between two nests under white oak and hickory.

Too bad my hunting partners were making just a bit too much noise and commotion. Oh well, we hunt to teach patience and sometimes nothing comes to those who wait. After all, it isn't called shopping.

But, bring afield with my kids is worth the empty bag on the way out. We've got months ahead.

View attachment 207234

I'll be out and about in zone 9 on saturday

I'm seriously debating a mental health day to head out to zone nine (JUST over 495 from where I live) and just spend a day in the field. Or wait until the 26th when I have a site visit in the morning in Beverly. Hmmmmmm... why not both?

I'm seriously debating a mental health day to head out to zone nine (JUST over 495 from where I live) and just spend a day in the field. Or wait until the 26th when I have a site visit in the morning in Beverly. Hmmmmmm... why not both?

I'm lucky enough to have a floating schedule. Im responsible for 3 shifts. So......I can go in early or late. I feel a few quick sunrise hunts coming my way this season.

I have a feeling it's gonna be a great turkey season. I'm seeing them all over the place.

A couple relatively mild winters have left the flock large and healthy!

Posted in "What are you listening to" thread in off topic, but since it was already copied, may as well paste it here....

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a call from a friend who wants to do bear next week. I wonder what he'd think if I showed up "loaded for squirrel".

I'd think you have better chances of taking home some dinner than he does.

Today's the first day for me and the family. Here's to hoping we don't strike out.

View attachment 207234

Outstanding!

Today's the first day for me and the family. Here's to hoping we don't strike out.

Good luck.

Outstanding!

Good luck.

We hit for two....well my son did which is awesome. I didn't get a shot off but oh well. Learned the Henry 410 is very comfortable to carry. Not a rattle......nice and light. Then gathered 7 pounds of Concord grapes. Tomorrow is jam making day! I love this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom