2 months to squirrel season who's already thinking about it?

whacko

NES Member
2 months till September 11 and zones 1-9 open up for bushy tails! Been thinking about it since I bagged my spring turkey. In a couple of short months ill be in the woods hunting squirrel and scouting for deer! Woohoo

Chicken of the Trees?

You eat them? Always thought it would be fun but I don't want to kill them just for fun of it. Maybe I can 'try' one some day :)

- - - Updated - - -

What is your 'squirrel gun'?

Chicken of the Trees?

You eat them? Always thought it would be fun but I don't want to kill them just for fun of it. Maybe I can 'try' one some day :)

- - - Updated - - -

What is your 'squirrel gun'?

I do eat them! Make a great stew out of em. Also squirrel pot pie is great......same as chicken pot pie except using chicken of the trees.

My squirrel gun for years has been a 12 gauge full choke high brass #4. Can hit the top of any tree with that combination. Have to watch it on close in shots under 20 yards though.

This year though I bought a henry lever action in 410. Looking forward to using that this fall.

To me they taste like rabbit.....just a bit tougher. Slow braising is the best way to cook squirrel.

Gotta let 'em sit in brine for a few days...I like to use clear bowls and put them on top of the fridge...makes my vegetarian girlfriend nuts.

I was actually JUST thinking about squirrelin' yesterday, as a matter of fact! I gotta get my Marlin 60 out and do some sighting in.

I wouldn't eat crow if you put a gun to my head.

Red squirrel season is year-round. Do you eat those little nuggets Whacko?

Only ever got one red squirrel and we did cook it up in a stew but with a couple Grey's mixed in. They are small.

I am.
Thinking about a limit on black color phase ones.
Doing it old school as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20170630_115056.jpg
    IMG_20170630_115056.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 78
Single shot 410?

Reminded me of Robert Earl Keen:

The Cubans grabbed the goodies and Sonny grabbed the Jack
He broke a bathroom window and climbed on out the back
Sherry drove the pickup through the alley on the side
Where a lawman tackled Sonny and was reading him his rights
She stepped into the alley with a single shot .410
The road goes on forever and the party never ends

Single shot 410?

An old Steven's SS .22
The lever on the side opens/ closes the action.
Only tried it on paper once and it wasn't a good target to use I was guessing center.I also have an Ivory front sight on the way that should get the elevation right on.
It looks big in the first picture but it's really quite small.a boys rifle that weighs 3 1/2 pounds... it's also a takedown gun.

Long winded sorry

Attachments

• IMG_20170624_094842.jpg
    IMG_20170624_094842.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20170709_120624.jpg
    IMG_20170709_120624.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 48
An old Steven's SS .22
The lever on the side opens/ closes the action.
Only tried it on paper once and it wasn't a good target to use I was guessing center.I also have an Ivory front sight on the way that should get the elevation right on.
It looks big in the first picture but it's really quite small.a boys rifle that weighs 3 1/2 pounds... it's also a takedown gun.

Long winded sorry

Nice gun!

I'm a shotgun fan for small game myself but that looks like a fun one to go squirreling with.

Looking forward to it, too. Gonna bring the boy - he's dying to see a successful hunt, lol.

No better way to get the kids into hunting than squirrel. High success rate....not too difficult.......teach em how to move quiet in the woods.....make a meal out of your harvest when you get home.

I clean mine like this kid except I cut the skin from the tail down to the hind feet and around the hind ankles. Then step on the tail and pull on the hind feet and ALL of the skin comes off including the hind legs in one pull. In this way you get all the skin AND hair off the meat which keeps the meat very clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk11FEjBHIY

I clean mine like this kid except I cut the skin from the tail down to the hind feet and around the hind ankles. Then step on the tail and pull on the hind feet and ALL of the skin comes off including the hind legs in one pull. In this way you get all the skin AND hair off the meat which keeps the meat very clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk11FEjBHIY

I've tried it that way but still don't the way I was taught.,.....small cut center of the back.......pull in opposite directions.

I'm going squirrel hunting for the first time this year. Try to thin out the population so they stop making me think a monster Buck is coming to visit me during deer season.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom