2 day wait for instant check

Just curious, if the wait time has ever been this long. I purchased a couple lowers the other day and the owner said it could take up to 3 days I was surprised. I have only waited a day for my AR pistol just curious if anyone else is expressing these delays.

In Nh. I’ve been seeing 1-3 day delays on average. every so often it’s an hour or so for a long gun if the stars align. past few firearms i’ve purchased lately i give them my cell and say call me when it goes through.

In Nh. I’ve been seeing 1-3 day delays on average. every so often it’s an hour or so for a long gun if the stars align. past few firearms i’ve purchased lately i give them my cell and say call me when it goes through.
NH has a split system. Rifles and shotguns go through the FBI NICS system. Handguns and other firearms go through the NHSP Gun Line, which has always been slower than NICS.

For those who don't know, a return of "delay" allows the FFL to transfer the gun after three days. It's at their discretion, and the three days don't include Sundays, holidays, the day of the sale, nor the day of the transfer.

That means that on a holiday week, it could take 7 days if the FFL is willing to transfer without a "proceed". Many are not willing to do that.

Personally I was aware of that. in the past year I’ve transferred a number of rifles that were either 1hr or delayed and had to go through the full wait to be picked up the next week or I got the call back within 24hrs. i’ve also had a number of handguns that had similar timeframes. same with suppressors. my point is I never plan to walk out with an firearm anymore. I plan for at least 24hr for the checks to come back.

The wait times I've seen for handguns and lowers in NH have often been longer than three days over the last 3-4 months.

I've been waiting 12 days on a NH delay. 16 days since the initial check.

I called the NH gun line and left a message, they haven't called back yet.

I've never had a problem with many, many NICS checks throughout my life, Even own several NFA items. And there is nothing in my background that would even be a blip on the radar.

I purchased a rifle a week before with no problems.

It's getting very frustrating.

Last edited:
BG checks should be good for a year at least. That would help a lot. I know that in Alaska and maybe other states, no BG checks are needed as long as a LTC is valid. In Alaska no LTC is needed but can be had for just this purpose. Jack.

BG checks should be good for a year at least. That would help a lot. I know that in Alaska and maybe other states, no BG checks are needed as long as a LTC is valid. In Alaska no LTC is needed but can be had for just this purpose. Jack.
The Texas CHL gets a bye on NICS, but that's because they constantly run new background checks looking for anything that might cause a suspension. I don't remember if it's daily/weekly/monthly, but it's frequent enough to satisfy FBI that the CHL is a valid substitute for NICS.

NH doesn't require any background check at all before issuing the RPL, so obviously ours will never qualify for a bypass. It's a feature, not a bug. ;)

Back
Top Bottom