2 College Girls shot in the same week..

Both in the south!?? Is it just me... I'm not in LE... but does it seem like they could be connected??? Both even found on the road[thinking]

UNC today

art.eve.carson.unc.jpg

Tuesday at Auburn

art.burk.ap.jpg

Last edited:
This shit sickens me to my stomach. The brunette, my god she could almost be my daughter........[sad2][angry]

I remind my 2 daughters of about the same ages as these two:

There are bad people out there. You have to be careful.

As to the murders, I hope they catch the bastard(s) and string him(them) up with piano wire.

I can't imagine what the parents of a murdered child must feel.
What were the circumstances leading up to this tragedy? I have
no clue.

I think a persons best defence lies in the pit of the stomach.
I also think it is so important that people trust that feeling you get when things are not right. Unfortunatly sometimes the ability to use that "sense" is "impaired". Especially with our young people today.

And to that point, I don't know what to say.

I can't imagine what the parents of a murdered child must feel.
What were the circumstances leading up to this tragedy? I have
no clue.

I think a persons best defence lies in the pit of the stomach.
I also think it is so important that people trust that feeling you get when things are not right. Unfortunatly sometimes the ability to use that "sense" is "impaired". Especially with our young people today.

And to that point, I don't know what to say.

I can say, as a parent, I can't bear to think about it.

Shot, not shoot.

Shoot is what they do at the range. Your title should be 'shot'. Sorry; I keep seeing this post and think it is about 2 college girls going to the range.

Liberal: "Ban guns! People are murdered every day!"
Gun Owner: "I own a gun for self defense."
Liberal: "Why would you need a gun?! You'll never need it!"

http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/525620.html

Student's murder
shocks Chapel Hill
Stunned and grieving, thousands gather on UNC campus
MANDY LOCKE, JESSE JAMES DECONTO AND SAMUEL SPIES
(Raleigh) News & Observer
HO
AP
This undated photo of Eve Carson, student body president at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, was released by the university Thursday, March 6, 2008. Police Thursday identified a young woman found shot dead in a Chapel Hill, N.C., residential neighborhood as Carson, 22, of Athens, Ga. Authorities had no suspects in her death. (AP Photo/Courtesy of UNC, Jim Stratford)

* Slideshow: Chapel Hill mourns loss
* Guest Book | Post thoughts, condolences
* Carson's life was filled with promise
* Video: Carson welcoming students

CHAPEL HILL --
Candlelight glowed on evening-darkened faces. Friends sat hugging, laughing, sobbing -- remembering Eve Marie Carson as her photos flashed across a projection screen. In many, she smiled back.

Two thousand people closed a day of grief in UNC Chapel Hill's Pit on Thursday night, holding candles and listening to song. They came to mourn their student body president, who was found shot to death the day before.

"This is the kind of event," said graduate student Abbey Thompson, "that shakes a campus to the core."

It was the second time a crowd of students met Thursday to remember Carson, whose body was discovered about a mile away early Wednesday. The 22-year-old senior from Athens, Ga., had been shot multiple times, including once in the head, police said.

Officials said there are no suspects and no arrests had been made.

"We have lost someone whom we cherish and love," university Chancellor James Moeser told a crowd on the school's Polk Place quad earlier in the day. "We're all in a state of shock."

Police found Carson's vehicle, a blue 2005 Toyota Highlander with Georgia plates, after receiving a tip Thursday afternoon from a witness who spotted it on a dead end street near Franklin Street. It was just around the corner from where Carson lived.

Police Chief Brian Curran could not say how long the SUV had been there but said police believe the vehicle was driven from Carson's home in the hours before she died.

"I can't tell you why I think that, but I'm confident it was," Curran said. "We think that whoever perpetrated the crime was at some point in that car."

Carson's roommates had to identify her body early Thursday, a day after a report of gunshots led police to the upscale Hillcrest neighborhood on a wooded hilltop northeast of the UNC campus.

Police found Carson's body about 5:15 a.m. She was wearing a dark blue T-shirt, gray sweatpants and white athletic shoes.

Police don't know why she would have been out so early Wednesday. Roommates told police they had left the house at 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, and she stayed there to study.

Curran said her death appeared to be a random act. The medical examiner said there was no indication that Carson had been sexually assaulted.

The police chief said the last time a UNC student was murdered in Chapel Hill was in 1995, when Wendell Williamson, a law student who had threatened other students and caused disturbances on campus, opened fire on several people on Henderson Street. He shot lacrosse player Kevin Reichardt, 20, knocking him from his bicycle, then firing again, killing Reichardt as he tried to crawl away.

Moeser said he got a call early Thursday morning that Carson was the victim. "I sat down and said `Oh my God.' I couldn't believe this."

By Thursday afternoon, news of Carson's death trickled slowly across campus. Students huddled in hallways and sat in the sun, tangled in hugs, tears and whispers. Several thousand came to Polk Place, a grassy quad that draws students in the best and worst times.

"This is a tragedy magnified and multiplied by the number and depth of the meaningful relationships that Eve Carson had on this campus," said Moeser, standing on the South Building terrace. "If we want to respect and remember Eve Carson, we will do it by embracing each other."

Students sank into one another, clutching flowers and tissues as a television helicopter buzzed overhead. The bell tower played "Hark the Sound." Moeser urged those gathered to drop their daisies and carnations at the base of a leafless oak.

They met again after nightfall for the candlelight vigil at The Pit. An a cappella group sang Simon and Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence" as a slide show from Carson's life played on a 10-foot screen.

"If they saw a smile on Eve's face, they were smiling," said Carly Swain of Charlotte, a double major in journalism and drama. "If she was having fun, they had fun for a second because that's the kind of power she had over people."

Carson was a prestigious Morehead-Cain scholar and a North Carolina Fellow, taking part in a four-year leadership development program for undergraduates. A premed student, she majored in political science and biology, taught science at a Chapel Hill elementary school, studied abroad in Cuba, and spent summers volunteering in Ecuador, Egypt and Ghana as part of a school program.

In a narrated slideshow on the Morehead-Cain Web site, Carson described how she spent eight weeks in Ecuador one summer, living with a family, working in a hospital and teaching children. Two days a week she shadowed a doctor in a rural part of the country.

"Most of the time I was in the back room of the hospital, where their emergency room was and where the overnight patients were. So I saw a lot of surgeries, I saw a few childbirths. I caught a baby," she said with pride.

At her family home in Athens, Ga., late Thursday, people gathered to grieve on her parents' lawn. Her parents and her younger brother were too grief-stricken to talk, a family friend said.

At Clarke Central High School, where Carson graduated in 2004, principal Maxine Easom said she and staff members learned of her death Thursday morning.

"We're devastated," said Easom. "Eve was just the most wonderful young woman you would ever want to know. She was brilliant. She was absolutely beautiful. Everything she did was aimed at helping other people. It's one of the greatest tragedies I've ever known. Eve was one of the young women who could change the world."

Motive unclear in killing of much-loved student body president

Last edited:
its sad but true its more important now than ever to be armed and ready for the enemy that will throw the sickest thing possible at you these days. a 357 mag would of stopped these murdering bastards in there tracks but somone dicided that these students could do that so now there DEAD!!!!.

Lately I have seen way too many instances of criminals that deserve nothing less than a speedy fair trial and speedier execution if and when found guilty!

So why, when some 28 people are killed per day in the US by firearms, is the news plastered with these two cases?

There certainly wouldn't be much news in a gang-banger shot by a rival.

But while the media is on a roll with school shootings in the US, they pull in a seminary shooting in Israel, somehow neglecting to mention on lead TV stories that a licensed student shot the gunman. Then they try to keep the "school shootings" theme alive with stories about these two unfortunate women, focusing on their student status and campus mourning.

No - there is no intent in these stories other than to use any media-manipulation necessary to oppose the growing support for allowing CCW at colleges and universities.

So why, when some 28 people are killed per day in the US by firearms, is the news plastered with these two cases?

There certainly wouldn't be much news in a gang-banger shot by a rival.

But while the media is on a roll with school shootings in the US, they pull in a seminary shooting in Israel, somehow neglecting to mention on lead TV stories that a licensed student shot the gunman. Then they try to keep the "school shootings" theme alive with stories about these two unfortunate women, focusing on their student status and campus mourning.

No - there is no intent in these stories other than to use any media-manipulation necessary to oppose the growing support for allowing CCW at colleges and universities.

I have to disagree.. They strike home to the majority then just your typical gang banger... The two girls could easily be someones daughter... sister.. or girlfriend..

A sister, daughter or girlfriend seems to be more vulnerable then the rest of the population..
JMO

Last edited:
I have to disagree.. They strike home to the majority then just your typical gang banger... The two girls could easily be someones daughter... sister.. or girlfriend..

A sister, daughter or girlfriend seems to be more vulnerable then the rest of the population..
JMO

Agreed, I think you're looking too much into it. CCW on campus is simply not something that even breaches the mind of most people. Many people just tend to view the deaths of young/college age kids as more tragic than the average gang shooting.

JMO

+1.

A gang banger getting shot is expected. A girl in college minding her own business isn't.

They grabbed a guy:

(CNN) -- Police have arrested a man in the killing of Auburn University freshman Lauren Burk, who died this week, according to the Auburn, Alabama, assistant police chief.

Lauren Burk, a freshman at Auburn University in Alabama, was found fatally shot Tuesday along a highway.

Courtney Larrell Lockhart, 23, of Smiths, Alabama, is charged with capital murder during a kidnapping, capital murder during a robbery, and capital murder during an attempted rape, Tommy Dawson said Saturday.

The Phenix City Police Department took Lockhart into custody on Friday, police said. Phenix City is about 35 miles southeast of Auburn.

Investigators have the suspect's photo, which was enhanced with the help of NASA, Dawson said, according to The Associated Press. Dawson said the photo matched Lockhart, but he declined to say how police got the photo or why they think Lockhart is linked to the crime.

Burk, 18, from Marietta, Georgia, was found shot on North College Street, a few miles north of campus, on Tuesday night. She died later at a hospital.

Minutes after police responded to the call reporting an injured person and found Burk, they found a car -- which turned out to be Burk's -- on fire in a campus parking lot.

Dawson told reporters Friday that authorities think gasoline or another accelerant was used to ignite Burk's car, and police were investigating whether a gas can found in downtown Auburn was connected. Police want to investigate every possible lead, Dawson said.

Authorities were still on patrol in the east Alabama campus, he said.

Don't Miss
Student shot dead; car in flames
Thousands mourn slain UNC student
The university's Web site said memorial services for Burk are scheduled for Saturday and Sunday at a Marietta church and synagogue, and a campus-wide memorial service will be held Monday.

The site carried a message from Burk's father, James, which said: "The Burk family was so proud to have Lauren as an Auburn University student. We want to extend our deepest gratitude and appreciation for Auburn University, the city of Auburn and the Auburn Police Department. We feel very close to your community. We appreciate what everyone is doing for us and Lauren."

Also on Friday, police released pictures of a 2001 Honda Civic similar to Burk's car. Authorities asked anyone who thinks they might have seen the car on Tuesday to contact them.

Police are continuing to interview people, Dawson said.

A student at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill -- Eve Carson, 22, of Athens, Georgia -- was also shot to death this week, on early Wednesday. Authorities in Chapel Hill said Friday they had been in contact with Auburn police but did not believe the two cases were connected. Watch CNN's Nancy Grace discuss the two killings of college women from Georgia »

Burk's family, in a statement read Friday to reporters by family friend Kathy Singleton, expressed their gratitude for the thoughts and prayers offered, but asked for privacy "so that they may grieve for their loss as well as celebrate Lauren's life."

Those wishing to honor Burk could do so by donating to her favorite charities, Singleton said -- The Invisible Child and the American Kidney Foundation.

Donations can be made at any Wachovia Bank to the Lauren Burk Memorial Fund. E-mail to a friend

All About Murder and Homicide • Auburn University

Share this on:
Digg
Facebook
del.icio.us
reddit
StumbleUpon

Back
Top Bottom