2 Boston women arrested for gun smuggling

2 Boston women arrested for gun smuggling

By Maria Cramer, Globe Staff | January 18, 2006

Two Boston women have been arrested on charges of trying to smuggle guns into Massachusetts from Alabama, police and federal authorities said this afternoon.

Niya Mills, 23, of Roxbury, and Sukia Omere, 20, of Boston, were charged with one count of unlawful transportation of firearms into the state.

At a news conference, police said the pair bought six firearms in Bessemer, Ala., with the intent to sell them in Boston. US Attorney Michael J. Sullivan said the defendants hoped to sell the weapons for $800 a piece.

Investigators said they are still trying to determine whether the two suspects were working alone or were part of a larger gun-running ring. Police said the women were under surveillance for two days before they were arrested this week. The break came from information supplied to the Boston Police anonymous tip line.

The two women are expected to face a detention hearing in federal district court on Friday.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...ston_women_arrested_for_gun_smuggling?mode=PF

This is where the energy should be spent, on people who aren't following the laws. Although I'm sure that this will get turned around against legal gun owners some how....

Mumbles thought process after hearing about the arrest.

Hmm, what can we do to stop this? Make it illegal to possess a firearm with out a license. Damn already done.

I know, make it illegal to travel with a firearm with out a license. Damn that's been done too.

Oh I got a good one. Make it illegal to sell a firearm without a FA-10 form. Shit, that's been done too.

Oh this one will work. Full back ground checks on all license applicants. You know I think that is already on the books too.

Well I guess the only thing to do is Ban all firearms in the city, that should stop them from coming in from other states illegally. I'm also going to hold a press conference and whine and complain about how easy it is to buy a gun in Alabama and bring it in to this utopia we call the Commonwealth. That should be enough of a smoke screen to keep the heat off of my incompetence.

cdkayak said:
Although I'm sure that this will get turned around against legal gun owners some how....

It'll probably just be used as "evidence" that Boston gun laws work 100%, but it's those terrible other states that ruin it. [roll]

yup - tougher guns laws would fix that - right!

Six guns - one count on the charges? Why isn't it six counts.? Does that mean if I kill six people, I'll get one count of murder laid on me?

Something funny here, me thinks.

Maybe when I think if Gun Running, I think of Crates of guns being smuggled into town.

But then I think that I also watch too many movies. But I don't really think of 6 guns as running guns.

By the way that story was written, it sounds like this is the first time that they have done this. And no really part of a larger group.

But I do agree that this where the focus needs to be, not on legal owners.

C-pher said:
Maybe when I think if Gun Running, I think of Crates of guns being smuggled into town.

That's what I usually think of as well.

At least this one can't be blamed on your neighbors to the north. :)

Further evidence of Mumble's genius. See, if we HAD put up checkpoints and mandatory vehicle searches, we'd have found even MORE guns!

And with the GPS systems, we'd even know where to find them!

After all, sacrificing our rights is no real loss if it makes us feel safer........ [roll]

WHat's the max sentence they could each get? 10 years per gun right? Sixty years each?

I bet they get probation.

C-pher said:

I think that the only way that they could manage something like that with the advanced security and law enforcement technology in use today would be to hide them in a shipment of cocaine. [roll]

Ken

That's what's (probation) been happening in NYC. There's been a big push to change that after the cops were shot recently.

KMaurer said:
C-pher said:

I think that the only way that they could manage something like that with the advanced security and law enforcement technology in use today would be to hide them in a shipment of cocaine. [roll]

Ken

LOL!!

Then to hide the cocane it needs to be in a huge shipment of Dunkin Donuts Coffee.

THAT'S IT!!

We need to be searching all Dunkie's Shipments. [shock] [roll]

C-pher said:
Then to hide the cocane it needs to be in a huge shipment of Dunkin Donuts Coffee.

THAT'S IT!!

Don't be silly. That's the first place they'll head. It would be like trying to hide something from one of us by putting it in the middle of Four Seasons. [wink]

Ken

Hats off to the investigators and the snitch.
Now I hope the judicial system applies the law and sentences accordingly.

I want to know how they got the guns in Alabama.

If it was from a licensed gun dealer, I want his FFL pulled and his ass in jail.

If it was a strawman purchase, get the person's name off the 4473 and nail their perjuring hide to the wall.

Let's see... Six counts of perjury, six counts of strawman purchases. Each (IIRC) carries a penalty of five years in FEDERAL jail... That's at LEAST 30 years for whoever bought the guns.

THEN... IIRC it's five years per gun per state line crossed. The LEAST # of state lines is 6. That's 30 years PER GUN. 150 years.

How much does anyone want to bet that the sentences will be in the "months" time frame?

KMaurer said:
C-pher said:

THAT'S IT!!

Don't be silly. That's the first place they'll head. It would be like trying to hide something from one of us by putting it in the middle of Four Seasons. [wink]

Ken

Hey, that might work. I mean there are times that I'm looking for something and then my wife will find it....right under my nose...

Frankly, I blame New Hampshire!!

We should probably mobilize the Mass National Guard to stop this horrible threat that challenges our way of life!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

PS: I bet they get off with a slap on the wrist as well. No WAY this state can charge a criminal with a crime.

My post on this is up at mAss Backwards.

I first read about this story yesterday, but few details were available then. It involves a couple of women who thought they could make a few bucks buying some handguns in Alabama, and reselling them on the streets of Boston.

I mean, who could blame them for devising such a scheme? Our wise and wonderful mayor has been spouting off for months now about all these other states that have yet to adopt Massachusetts' "most effective gun laws in the nation".

You listen to Menino, or any one our gun-fearing legislators for even five minutes and you'd think that all you have to do to get your hands on a weapon in Alabama is walk in, hand over the cash, and walk out with a carload of RPG's, belt-fed machine guns, and hand grenades.

Fantasy aside, let's have a look at what some of us like to call REALITY.

Read the rest here - From Alabama to the Slammer

I'd be shocked if they got more than a few months. I think they should consecutive terms on each count at the maximum for the crime. Start sending messages to criminals. Its the only way.

Back
Top Bottom