1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

1st Woman to Take Command of a US Army Infantry Division

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Reptile, Jun 11, 2019.

1. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

[​IMG]

2. Dench

Dench

yeah for sure. I suspect the dead lift portion is going to have a lot of people killing themselves also [rofl]

3. crazymjb

crazymjb

The problem is they allow one warm-up rep before you jump into your max 3. If you regularly deadlift 450+lbs that's still no huge deal... but since the max is 380, and like all PT tests people often go harder than they should for numbers on the test, someone who doesn't dead lift trying for a PR cold is just asking for people to get hurt.

4. Dench

Dench

Shit. My max ever was around ~380, and I would need 4-5 warm up sets to get there without ending up dead at the other side. I am/was 160lbs, so going up to 380 is on the very heavy side for my body. One warm up to that would almost definitely be major problems.

crazymjb likes this.
  5. Picton

Picton NES Member

Huh.

I just found out the guy she’s taking over from, MG Mark Malanka, isn’t an infantry officer either.

And that her father, MG Robert Brandt, was also an aviator. And was once (early ‘90s) deputy commander of the same infantry division.

In case that adds context.

6. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

It does, but only partially. What was/were the qualifications of the outgoing CG to lead a NG Infantry Division? Does family connections matter? There are more questions posed by these two "facts" than there are answers provided.

7. Picton

Picton NES Member

True, but I think it’s just as likely that, even in a state as big as CA, there are only so many officers of ANY branch who stay in the Guard long enough to become any sort of general. And then there are only so many slots.

Here’s the outgoing commander.

National Guard Biography

His “qualifications,” other than some joint and/or Infantry courses, are one year as an Assistant S3 of an infantry battalion, then four years as a brigade commander. Worse, he’s a dirty nasty leg. Her qualifications are not nearly as strong, though some of her command time was downrange. His wasn’t. Her bio:

National Guard Biography

Though, in fairness, nobody here knows who she was competing against for this billet.