1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

1st Woman to Take Command of a US Army Infantry Division

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Reptile, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. (AP) — The California National Guard has announced the appointment of the first woman to lead a U.S. Army infantry division.

Brig. Gen. Laura Yeager will take command of the 40th Infantry Division on June 29 at Joint Forces Training Base in Los Alamitos, California.

1st woman to take command of a US Army infantry division - Breitbart

How can this stand?

She never served in the infantry.

2. CTsupra

CTsupra NES Member

They hand this GOBI a division when she never held a lower Infantry command?

Penniepup1 likes this.
  3. nutsym16

nutsym16 NES Member

Its california.

426wedge likes this.
  4. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

The feels.

mibro likes this.
  5. Greg

Greg

Wow.

Maybe I can counsel pregnant women on childbirth and older women on menopause.

5811, BUMPA01603, Fixxah and 2 others like this.
  6. Picton

Picton NES Member

I’m trying to remember the guy’s name, but waaaay back in the 90s there was an uproar when they gave a maneuver command (armor, I think) to an aviation officer. So there’s precedent from the AD side.

He did fine.

Commanding a division is 99% administrative, especially in the Guard. I wouldn’t worry.

Mountain, amm5061 and CTsupra like this.
  7. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

Just show them AbFab:

ArthurDavis, dingbat and Tundra02 like this.
  8. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

Most people have no idea how badly the SJWs have damage our military during the Obama era.

matt76, calsdad, EJFudd and 2 others like this.
  9. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Just the sjw's, everyone else is well aware.

10. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Was totally expecting a black lesbian in a wheelchair lol.

matt76, calsdad, EJFudd and 1 other person like this.
  11. CTsupra

CTsupra NES Member

Im of the same opinion. Though it remains to be seen, she could really eff with policies that could filter down to the line companies and change the way theyve been doing things and screwing with what works.

Im talking about BS like after every mission the crew served weapons must come off the trucks and be locked up even if youre on QRF. Ive seen it happen due to a female being in charge.

12. crazymjb

crazymjb

That's dumb... but I don't see how "a female being in charge" automatically equates to some stupid policy regarding a QRF. I've seen an endless mountain of retardation in the infantry and women were nowhere to be found and the leadership were born and raised grunts.

That said, I'm of the mindset that you are probably better off having someone with a long history of combat arms lead combat arms. At the very least, a general grade aviation officer, especially in the army, should have a pretty solid understanding of how the infantry works.

Mountain and Picton like this.
  13. Greg

Greg

A kinder,gentler Infantry.

I like it !

14. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Would like to see this chick storm Normandy beach under machine gun fire.

15. CTsupra

CTsupra NES Member

Not automatically, no - but ive never heard of a pog male officer even remotely suggest something that asinine all because they didnt want to scare the locals who worked on the fob. Granted, this was during a point we were not tasked with kinetic missions for about three months out of twelve in country but still..

16. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

Unfortunately that seems to be the job of the assistant Division Commanders. Think of Henry Fonda and Robert Mitchums' characters in the movie, "The Longest Day". And in case you think that these were just movie tough guys, look them up. Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt Jr (Theodore Roosevelt Jr. - Wikipedia.) and Brigadier General Norman Cota (Norman Cota, Overlooked Hero of D-Day (And the Next) - New England Historical Society). I think most of us would have been proud to serve under these men.

Unfortunately there have been so many bad PC choices for high commands recently that it is difficult to tell if General Yeager is a good choice or not. Maybe there is someone somewhere who actually served under her and can give first-hand testimony as to her character and qualifications for this job.

17. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Are you saying women aren't brave enough to storm a beach?

As for her taking command, I agree that if you didn't serve in the infantry, you should not be able to command it. It really boils down to politics at this point.

18. crazymjb

crazymjb

POG and infantry male officers make asinine decisions all the time. I will say as a relatively new POG I'm not sure that POGs should have an infantry command. When I was in the USMC many though Amos was a disaster for the same reasons. True story, one of our supply guys who was hilarious asked him during a Q&A how it felt to be the first POG commandant. He replied he liked to be thought of as the first combat aviator commandant.

Picton likes this.
  19. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

"The softer side of Spears"

20. Picton

Picton NES Member

This.

Every infantryman in this board knows the grim truth: shit leadership and nonsense policies can happen at every level, in any infantry unit. And that’s with GUYS in command.

amm5061 likes this.
  21. Picton

Picton NES Member

“At this point?”

Aviators have commanded maneuver units before. That dates back at least twenty years. Plenty of Infantry divisions have been commanded by non-infantrymen in every era. Armor officers have commanded infantry divisions, infantry officers have commanded armored divisions. No biggie, no politics.

The real issue, to me, is whether a background in combat aviation gives a solid understanding of combined-arms operations. I’d say it definitely does, male or female.

crazymjb likes this.
  22. widnerkj

widnerkj

well..... I was in the 40th. During my however brief stay in Kalifornia. That whole brigade has subscriptions more so than issues.

23. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Oh Im sure they are...but they would make their husbands go check to see if its safe first :D

5811, BUMPA01603 and blindfire like this.
  24. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

Oh, you're gonna go to hell for that! [rofl2]

25. Fishfinder

Fishfinder

Was she the best candidate or did she get the command because she was a female?

26. Rehoboth Dave

Rehoboth Dave NES Member

You're probably right. Another example would be Nimitz replacing the ailing Bull Halsey with a Surface Warfare guy like Raymond Spruance just before the battle of Midway.

Picton likes this.
  27. Waher

Waher NES Member

Service record makes her look competent. But even if she was a he there would be belly aching because having an Army Aviation officer commanding Infantry is a bit outside the expertise. 99% of the job is logistics and personnel, but that other 1% takes an understanding of the capabilities of the force. Which often only comes from coming up through the ranks and understanding how each part does their job.

28. crazymjb

crazymjb

Here's where I think it gets iffy... I haven't been a POG very long, but I do know that a lot of junior POG officers and POG senior enlisted don't have the slightest clue about infantry stuff, down to some basic weapons handling and marksmanship stuff. I don't know any general grade officers with either background so I don't know what or when they learn certain stuff, and how that might compare. At least on the level where I'm at, there are absolute masters of their profession, but their profession isn't infantry.

On the big sand table, perhaps things are different. That said, there are certain realities of infantry capabilities that you only learn being in the infantry. I would think at the very least having some time as a platoon commander in the infantry should be looked at heavily when looking for future senior infantry leaders. I was only ever a squad leader, but I know that our reality is alien to a lot of POGs.

29. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

OH man! EPIC!!!!

crazymjb likes this.
  30. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

When the make women pass the same PT standards as the men then we can discuss. Until then its just noise.

Cipher likes this.