• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1st week of Eastern Mass Matches in Reading....How'd you do?

The first Eastern Mass Rifle League match is now history.
Not a bad day, conditions wise...decent light...no little black bugs......new turf under our feet.....pit service was pretty good, too.
I wish I could have shot better.
I was pleased to have my daughter shoot her first EMRL match, too!
How did the rest of you do?

Horseshit... thanks for asking. There's always next week I suppose.

Oh, and just a little advice... when your first two strings of shooters leave the third and last pair with only 20 minutes to shoot... don't blame the target pullers for being slow.

Last edited:
Eastern Ma

First time shooting anything since Jan when doc said stop shooting! Dropped out of pistol, smallbore, and winter highpower. I did a little better than my average, out cold, and with no warning or practice. It felt good for a change and most important I had some badly needed fun!!!

How about week 2?
Once again........I didn't do so hot. My daughter beat me by one point. I had fun scoring for position 2 - 2nd relay.
Thank God the heavy rain held off for the morning relays. I understood the afternoon people didn't have it as good, weather wise, as we did.

Rain!

Yes we stood and endured the rain, so they would be able to use all the scores for the day!! I heard from the match director that if we didn't complete our relays, your earlier scores wouldn't have counted. I dropped 12 from last week. Got distracted by a CELLPHONE ringing during take up and shot 1 between 2 targets! DAMN CELL PHONES!!!!!
Have to ask match director to add no cell phones at line during prematch prep!!!!!
HHRG afternoon team only dropped 2 overall from last week I'm told. Not bad considering how heavy it rained.

I hope you didn't stay and shoot and get your butt soaked on my account......If you hadn't completed the relay, my sh*thouse score could have been swept away and many others might have been a lot happier too!!!!
They should make it a rule that any cellphone left on behind the firing and rings during a relay is automatically jettisoned into the woods.

I almost wish you guys had bagged it.

The moring team did well, with one notable exception... ME! I know how lame this sounds, but I don't care... it's the truth. The thing wasn't shooting where I was aiming. I mean not even close. I left the sights untouched from last week, where I had a shabby first string, but decent second, so I thought I was pretty much dialed in.

I knew I was in trouble when the first sighter was a low 7. Being a milsurp rifle, I like to see the sighters high at 7 or 8, because once the barrel gets warm they drop into the black and stay there. It was a fishing expedition after that. I ended up cranking up the elevation a bunch before I was even in the neighborhood, and not before I had pretty much pooched the day. Only my last 2 shots were a 10 and an X. Lowest score ever in EMRL. I apologize to everyone on the team, it shoud have been a respectable day for us.

After mulling it over all day Saturday, the only thing I could think of was the fact that I was hold practicing Friday night in the basement when I noticed the trigger guard was wiggling a bit. Could tightened the screws have effected things that much? Jesus. If so I am an idiot for not knowing that.

Anyway, the only way I could fight the depression was to camo my rifle stock. Let me know what you think.

http://home.comcast.net/~v2creative/camo.html

If it clears up today I will try to get to HHRG and sort this thing out.

Okay, I got to bench shoot about a 15 rounds out of the thing this afternoon. It was still right and low, but not nearly as bad as it was at the start last Saturday. It's dialed in pretty well now, (and I retorqued the trigger housing screws BEFORE I made any final adjustments... moron that I was before). So here's hoping I can salvage one final good week at EMRL. See ya all there.

JR

Last edited:
We stayed

Because we are dedicated, and don't have enough common sense come in out of the rain!
I heard some grumbling coming from the morning shooters, and thought maybe they would call it when the rain got heavy. Oh well.
Bench rest shooters use inch pound torque wrenches to tighten action screws to the same point all the time! I know you don't like them new fangled black rifles. The fact is there are no action bedding problems, or wood shifting as weather conditions change, to affect point of impact. Them modern materials like plastic and aluminum junk plus that silly looking design take all that out of play. Bedding blocks and pillars are added to bolt action rifles to try to stabilize them in the stock, and prevent shot shifting.
I'm shooting my ar 15 after cleaning up that awful bushmaster trigger and doing much better as long as the phone doesn't ring! Funny how shots going off right next to you have no affect. Even hot cases landing in my collar haven't thrown me in the past, but let some a**h***s phone ring and I'm screwed!!!

Too late do I now recall A.V. (another K31 fan) telling me a long while ago how the take down screws and rings had to be torqued not only to a certain amount , but in a specific order to maintain consistent POA. My fault, not the rifle. I'm just going to try to have some fun next Saturday. Hell, the pressure's off that's for sure. The only way to do worse than last week would be to show up without ammo!

JR

Back
Top Bottom