1st gun purchase (concealed carry)

Decided to get my head wrapped around the pricing on the PM9. I figure I'll keep my eyes opened on gun broker and past WTS threads etc.

1st of all. Anyone got a decent price range for a new/used PM9?

Is there a better way to make sure these are MA compliant other than the seller listing it in his item description?

Think that's about all. Anything else I should keep my eyes opened for on these? Specific serial numbers etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The MA Kahrs have the (to me senseless) safety and loaded chamber indicator. You can find free state versions here if you are patient. The prices don't seem to be as insane as what people want for their Glocks. In my opinion $600-650 would be a fair price. Whereas this is your first buy I assume you plan to do some shooting so you might want to consider the availability and price of 9mm ammo versus 380 right now. The money you save on a 380 pistol could be recouped in a short time if you shoot regularly.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have a BG 380 POS it sucks. I would save up a few more dollars and get the sig. My opinion. anyway I am just over the bridge if u want to shoot the POS.

To some earlier comments, Ruger’s 2013 LCP fixed the trigger (shortened the pull), added some actual sights, and eliminated the propensity for the magazine to eject accidentally. Nice little pistol albeit very snappy, works great with a Blackhawk #4 pocket holster.

Decided to get my head wrapped around the pricing on the PM9. I figure I'll keep my eyes opened on gun broker and past WTS threads etc.

1st of all. Anyone got a decent price range for a new/used PM9?

Is there a better way to make sure these are MA compliant other than the seller listing it in his item description?

Think that's about all. Anything else I should keep my eyes opened for on these? Specific serial numbers etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This is a good decision - it's a quality gun that you enjoy shooting, and you're taking the right steps to education yourself and make sure that you're responsible and effective with your new tool. Big pat on the back.

And don't let some of the overly opinionated people on this forum make you second guess yourself.

As for purchasing, Mass Firearms School should be able to give you a quote, and if they don't have one in stock, a rough time frame for how long it will take to get one - that will at least give you a ball park for a new model and the wait. Also check with Four Seasons in Woburn - they tend to have the lowerst prices for this sort of thing. Most gun shops will special order a gun like that for you without a down payment - order the gun now in case it takes a while, and if you find one in the meantime, you can always cancel the order.

As for "Mass compliant," this law only affects FFL sellers, not buyers. If a Massachusetts dealer is willing to sell it to you, it's probably Mass compliant. If it's not, no big deal, you can buy it anyway (off roster, or "non complaint" guns are not illegal to own, just for an FFL to sell). An individual can also sell you a gun in a private transfer, so long as they have a Mass LTC as well, so keep an eye on those classified ads.

However, I will caution you about Gunbroker - most of the time the guns sold there are not the Mass compliant versions, and most people and dealers outside Massachusetts don't understand our gun laws. A rookie mistake is for a new gun owner to buy a gun on Gunbroker, pay for it, have it shipped to a MA dealer, and have the dealer refuse to transfer it to them because it's not compliant. Then they're screwed. So always check with a dealer to make sure they'll do the transfer before you buy a gun out of state.

This is a good decision - it's a quality gun that you enjoy shooting, and you're taking the right steps to education yourself and make sure that you're responsible and effective with your new tool. Big pat on the back.

And don't let some of the overly opinionated people on this forum make you second guess yourself.

As for purchasing, Mass Firearms School should be able to give you a quote, and if they don't have one in stock, a rough time frame for how long it will take to get one - that will at least give you a ball park for a new model and the wait. Also check with Four Seasons in Woburn - they tend to have the lowerst prices for this sort of thing. Most gun shops will special order a gun like that for you without a down payment - order the gun now in case it takes a while, and if you find one in the meantime, you can always cancel the order.

As for "Mass compliant," this law only affects FFL sellers, not buyers. If a Massachusetts dealer is willing to sell it to you, it's probably Mass compliant. If it's not, no big deal, you can buy it anyway (off roster, or "non complaint" guns are not illegal to own, just for an FFL to sell). An individual can also sell you a gun in a private transfer, so long as they have a Mass LTC as well, so keep an eye on those classified ads.

However, I will caution you about Gunbroker - most of the time the guns sold there are not the Mass compliant versions, and most people and dealers outside Massachusetts don't understand our gun laws. A rookie mistake is for a new gun owner to buy a gun on Gunbroker, pay for it, have it shipped to a MA dealer, and have the dealer refuse to transfer it to them because it's not compliant. Then they're screwed. So always check with a dealer to make sure they'll do the transfer before you buy a gun out of state.

I have a PM9 and a CM9 and still felt the need for a smaller pistol (Ruger LCP). If you want to pocket carry, both the Kahrs are pretty heavy and thick for the front pocket. Ideally you’d have both a Kahr 9mm and a smaller 380 to choose from. Sometimes you just need to carry something really small and light. Options are good.

I'm having this same mental fight over which pocket carry gun is the "best" one.
After reading until my head hurt, I was leaning toward a PM9, until today when I held one in my hand and realized it's larger than I want.
I held a Sig P238, I like that much better, and it would be much easier to conceal.

I'm having this same mental fight over which pocket carry gun is the "best" one.
After reading until my head hurt, I was leaning toward a PM9, until today when I held one in my hand and realized it's larger than I want.
I held a Sig P238, I like that much better, and it would be much easier to conceal.

The problem is that you get literally double the lb.ft. of energy from a short-barreled 9mm, compared to a short-barreled .380ACP.

The problem is that you get literally double the lb.ft. of energy from a short-barreled 9mm, compared to a short-barreled .380ACP.

That's why I was leaning toward the PM9.
My problem is hiding it while at work, and the size of the P238 is perfect.
I might have to get both!

That's why I was leaning toward the PM9.
My problem is hiding it while at work, and the size of the P238 is perfect.
I might have to get both!

I find I can easily keep my Glock 19 totally concealed with no problem. Then I recently picked up a Diamondback DB9 (I think just slightly smaller than the PM9). I can't think of a place on my body that it wouldn't be easy to conceal. 3:00, 4:00, and 1:00 appendix are all super easy and it just disappears. You can tuck a shirt in over it (assuming you have a tuckable holster), you can bend over and move around. It's so small I don't have to think about the concealment part of carrying it at all. The PM9 would not be hard to conceal at work unless you're a stripper or a sumo wrestler.

I find I can easily keep my Glock 19 totally concealed with no problem. Then I recently picked up a Diamondback DB9 (I think just slightly smaller than the PM9). I can't think of a place on my body that it wouldn't be easy to conceal. 3:00, 4:00, and 1:00 appendix are all super easy and it just disappears. You can tuck a shirt in over it (assuming you have a tuckable holster), you can bend over and move around. It's so small I don't have to think about the concealment part of carrying it at all. The PM9 would not be hard to conceal at work unless you're a stripper or a sumo wrestler.

Thank you, I have more reading to do!
Searching tuckable holster.....

Thank you, I have more reading to do!
Searching tuckable holster.....

Centerfold That's what I'm using. Awesome low profile, tuckable holster. My only qualm is that the clip is taller than your belt so it's just slightly noticeable. That said, most IWB holster clips are noticeable if you know what you're looking at, but most people don't, so I wouldn't worry.

What gun?
DB9 in HNH Centerfold Tucked.jpg

Oh that gun.
DB9 in NHN Centerfold.jpg

And for comparison:
G19 in MTAC Tucked.jpgG19 in MTAC.jpg

Last edited:

Think we can all agree there is no "best"...I like to carry as much gun as I can conceal and everyone needs to figure out what that means to them. My smallest carry choice is a PM40 and I don't have any issue concealing IWB, but need to have an untucked shirt if I carry in the pocket. I use a DeSantis insider clipped to my pocket leaving the grip exposed (covered by my shirt). I also have a P238, which my wife carries. This is my absolute choice in 380 caliber; it is very easy to conceal, fun to shoot and extremely accurate. The 1911 style thumb safety concerns some but I have no issue with carrying cocked/locked using a good holster.

Back
Top Bottom