1st AR platform budget build

Just curious more than anything......questions

Why such a wide variety of different manufactures?
How much of this stuff came from one vendor or was shipped free? I only ask as a range friend bought from so many different vendors he's up to 80$ just in shipping.

Personally, I don't get the idea of a $500 AR build... for $650ish you can get a Ruger or S&W with good build quality and a actual warranty.

IMHO, a custom AR build is best suited when you know exactly what you want and either 1. Can't buy it that way or 2. Can save money building it

You answered your own question in the same post lol.

An example for me: I wanted to put together a BHD Delta/CAG Sniper CAR-15 clone for under $550..Neither Ruger or SW have that option :D

uploadfromtaptalk1433003070540.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433003082147.jpg

Just finished. No crazy gadgets, trigger, or other accessories. Just a Plain Jane that hopefully works just fine. BCG is Griffin Armamnent and barrel is Green Mountain 18" 223 Wylde 1/7 Scope is a Bushnell 1-4x24. View attachment 134038 View attachment 134039

to get back on track...your build is definitely not budget in my eyes. Nice boomstick.

Just curious more than anything......questions Why such a wide variety of different manufactures? How much of this stuff came from one vendor or was shipped free? I only ask as a range friend bought from so many different vendors he's up to 80$ just in shipping.
Good question. They came from 2 Venders except the barrel. Midway and Amazon. I grouped up the Midway order. The Amazon parts, for example the Spikes BCG and charging handle was free shipping

Thanks bud, it already changed its look by now. New scope, mount and stock

Like to see the review on the FN barrel ......I have enough parts kicking around to warrant another upper build. Really all I need is a barrel and bolt. I'm leaning towards a target gun with scope only for 100-200 yards 98% of the time.

I'm looking forward to installing it next week when it arrives. For $310, it better be shooting out gold. They make barrels for Dept Defense, Daniel Defense, Spikes tact, etc. thought I'd just go the main source

I'm looking forward to installing it next week when it arrives. For $310, it better be shooting out gold. They make barrels for Dept Defense, Daniel Defense, Spikes tact, etc. thought I'd just go the main source

Yes for that kind of money your getting close to some very well known match grade barrels.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17575&cat=312&page=1

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17562&cat=311&page=1

You can get a Krieger direct for 360$. Looking forward to your results. I'm tossed on a barrel choice.

I have had very good results from Wilson Arms barrels.

Have that itch again and the wife is pissed..

Went on a shopping spree recently for another build.

So far I have..
GPI billet lower
Anderson LPK
Anderson upper
Spikes BCG
BCM charging handle
DPMS buffer tube/spring/buffer
Strike industries dust cover
Troy Ind. Gas block/tube
FNH USA 20 inch 1/7.
15 inch free float hand guard
Working on another Velocity trigger or may pony up the $ for a Geissele.
Vortex Diamondhead hp 12x42
Burris Pepr mount

A little bit more than my last build, let's see how this one goes

Don't buy 1 geissele. buy one for each rifle and save on shipping. You'll end up replacing the mil spec triggers eventually. Look at the geissele g2s they can be purchased online for 150 shipped or with a lpk for 180

http://www.righttobear.com/Geissele-G2S-Trigger-Lower-Parts-Kit-p/g2s-lpk.htm

Don't buy 1 geissele. buy one for each rifle and save on shipping. You'll end up replacing the mil spec triggers eventually. Look at the geissele g2s they can be purchased online for 150 shipped or with a lpk for 180 http://www.righttobear.com/Geissele-G2S-Trigger-Lower-Parts-Kit-p/g2s-lpk.htm

Great deal! . I'm very pleased with the Velocity that is on the other one so it may be a toss up. I have a few big jobs starting up so we'll see. I obtained a mil spec DPMS trigger from CMaro that's is somewhat polished in the areas it should be. Last night I purchased the yellow spring kit from JP Enterprises and will try that out in the mean time

Yes for that kind of money your getting close to some very well known match grade barrels. http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17575&cat=312&page=1 http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17562&cat=311&page=1 You can get a Krieger direct for 360$. Looking forward to your results. I'm tossed on a barrel choice. I have had very good results from Wilson Arms barrels.

Don't rule out Green Mountain. Nothing wrong with them unless you prefer chrome lined. I personally could care less.

Had the day off because of this splendid weather. Put together some pieces. Here's a preview of my next build

image-3311180494.jpg

image-3061820830.jpg

image-1475893782.jpg

image-4198273037.jpg

image-3936738154.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Don't rule out Green Mountain. Nothing wrong with them unless you prefer chrome lined. I personally could care less.

I used the green mountain A2 barrel http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/20-5-5...twist/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0 I bought it not knowing it's not drilled for front sight pins. Things you learn in the early days of building. It was ok. Accuracy was not what I had hoped for.
I tried several brands of 69-77gn match ammo and from a rest with a known good scope it was 3" groups at 100 yards. M193/855 was minute of torso @ 100 yards. I bought a discount barrel in the white a few months later that performed better. I won't say they don't make good barrels but that left a bad taste in my mouth.
Since then I have liked the Wilson Arms for the money. I had a Krieger on a carbine with 7.7 twist. That little bugger shot nosler 77match ammo consistently to 1moa from the rest. I could not refuse the offer made to me so I sold it.....
It's all fun. For me I'm getting older and my shooting skills are to. So I'm leaning towards building something fun to shoot from the bench with a obnoxious scope like 36 or 40x with a 1/8 moa dot.

Wow, that's a bummer. But you're right. The 18" GM I use had been just ok. lol at the range report pics I posted earlier in the thread. Being a 1/7, the only ammo worth firing out of it is Remington Premier Match 77gr. Anything else, especially 55-62gr is a waste of ammo. I'm looking forward to comparing the FN barrel to the GM. I think it arrives on Friday. Then of course the muzzle pinning and welding crap afterwards. Who knows when I'll be able to try it.

Wow, that's a bummer. But you're right. The 18" GM I use had been just ok. lol at the range report pics I posted earlier in the thread. Being a 1/7, the only ammo worth firing out of it is Remington Premier Match 77gr. Anything else, especially 55-62gr is a waste of ammo. I'm looking forward to comparing the FN barrel to the GM. I think it arrives on Friday. Then of course the muzzle pinning and welding crap afterwards. Who knows when I'll be able to try it.

I have grown to really like target crowns on my ARs

- - - Updated - - -

I have grown to really like target crowns on my ARs

Second build is officially done. I'm very happy with this one since my first was just that, a first. Long list of parts that of which are posted on an earlier post. This barrel is beautiful!. Will have a range report very soon.

image-1101589223.jpg

image-1597318680.jpg

image-2443452152.jpg

image-3015951951.jpg

image-1838519373.jpg

image-260169088.jpg

image-3214635048.jpg

image-2518015296.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Back
Top Bottom