1st AR platform budget build

Oh, so what your saying is, it sucks when someone trolls your posts and dislikes your part selection....

For the record, yes I've handled the UTG Pro stuff, no thanks. Further, if "I" was going to invest in a tax stamp I wouldn't be using bargin basement parts, but that's just MY opinion.

So you think I should have spent even more money on a rail because I spent $200 on a stamp? I chose the rail I liked best on comparison with others. The UTG mounting hardware is better designed than most others. I hate the clamping mounts from experience so that ruled out a lot of mfg's. Basically it was between Noveske and UTG Pro so I decided to try something new. I don't get any connection that you are drawing between the stamp and the handguard? What does one have to do with the other?

So you think I should have spent even more money on a rail because I spent $200 on a stamp? I chose the rail I liked best on comparison with others. The UTG mounting hardware is better designed than most others. I hate the clamping mounts from experience so that ruled out a lot of mfg's. Basically it was between Noveske and UTG Pro so I decided to try something new. I don't get any connection that you are drawing between the stamp and the handguard? What does one have to do with the other?

He's trying to imply it's like buying a 911 and putting ricer fake riveted rims on it.

He's trying to imply it's like buying a 911 and putting ricer fake riveted rims on it.

I think he places an artificial value on that tax stamp and undervalues the UTG Pro products. Ewwww its airsoft stuff. Honestly its better built than 80% of the competitor's products, better engineered, and has better CS.

I think he places an artificial value on that tax stamp and undervalues the UTG Pro products. Ewwww its airsoft stuff. Honestly its better built than 80% of the competitor's products, better engineered, and has better CS.

No, I was simply stating that it seems a little hypocritical to crap on someone else's build when you yourself overpaid for a build consisting of low end parts.

If th OP is happy with his build, so be it... shoot the hell out of it and have fun.

Last edited:
No, I was simply stating that it seems a little hypocritical to crap on someone else's build when you yourself overpaid for a build consisting of low end parts.

If th OP is happy with his build, so be it... shoot the hell out of it and have fun.

What are you proposing that I overpaid for and which parts do you think are "low end"??????

Seems like all quality parts to me....Must of been that Uzi Mag [rofl]

I think it's bc I had to replace the BCM upper that blew up with the Aero upper. Even though they are both from the same forgings and both type 3 hard coat anodized.

What are you proposing that I overpaid for and which parts do you think are "low end"??????

Lol, you made a (baseless)claim the op spent to much and crapped on his handguard selection.... I made a (baseless ) claim you spent to much and crapped on your handguard selection...

Get it?

The OP did ok for a grand for rifle, scope and mount, why come here and crap on him?

Looks good! Hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Lol, you made a (baseless)claim the op spent to much and crapped on his handguard selection.... I made a (baseless ) claim you spent to much and crapped on your handguard selection...

Get it?

The OP did ok for a grand for rifle, scope and mount, why come here and crap on him?

I don't think he's claiming he over paid more the 1k isn't a budget build for most .

Last edited:
If that's the case, then I apologize. I read it as him knocking the OP's build

That's the thing that sucks about forums . People often post the way they speak vs more formal written word .
Not hearing the tone of a persons voice things don't come across . Being 80% def till I was like 7 I have this problem speaking at time that I don't know the tone of my own voice .

Personally, I don't get the idea of a $500 AR build... for $650ish you can get a Ruger or S&W with good build quality and a actual warranty.

IMHO, a custom AR build is best suited when you know exactly what you want and either 1. Can't buy it that way or 2. Can save money building it

There is a certain satisfaction you get from building something yourself.

Personally, I don't get the idea of a $500 AR build... for $650ish you can get a Ruger or S&W with good build quality and a actual warranty.

It's skinflint street cred is what it is. I know scads of people who constantly brag about how much money they saved, how the rifle works is irrelevant, because they're only going to put a few hundred rounds through it a year and it will sit in the closet and collect dust.

-Mike

Found my post. This is how I did my 308 barrel without a reaction rod.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...Build-Thread?p=4193566&viewfull=1#post4193566

I have a $40 chunk of nylon made by DPMS (I think) that is an upper receiver block and it extends all the way to the top of the receiver. It works for both 9mm & 5.56 builds and holds the upper with no slippage. I would rather spend $40 than risk destroying a $100 upper. I tried Magpul's BEV block but it only works for 5.56 barrels with locking lugs and that didn't help with my non-standard builds.

I have a $40 chunk of nylon made by DPMS (I think) that is an upper receiver block and it extends all the way to the top of the receiver. It works for both 9mm & 5.56 builds and holds the upper with no slippage. I would rather spend $40 than risk destroying a $100 upper. I tried Magpul's BEV block but it only works for 5.56 barrels with locking lugs and that didn't help with my non-standard builds.

Short story long, this spiraled out of a thread in the members section. I have the clamshell type vise block you are talking about too. No one was able to help him the weekend he was putting it together on the NorthShore. I mentioned this method, as I used it on my 308. I couldn't find a clamshell for an ar10 and I will not use one of the takedown / pivot blocks. The best way is a reaction rod but I didn't want to pony the $ for most likely a sole ar10 build. The trim in the vice worked, I put maybe 5# of pressure in the vise and then torqued the barrel. Reaction rod is the correct way, I am not a gsmith but this is NOT the right way - http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=629259

This is one of the "pivot" blocks but since it mimics the entire interior shape of the upper most of the stress is taken off the takedown pins. If you notice, it goes all the way to the top where the charging handle sits.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/730930/dpms-upper-receiver-action-block-ar-15-delrin

730930.jpg

Last edited:
To each their own. I personally would not use one of those on my uppers. I would prefer my ghetto fab pvc trim [wink]

To each their own. I personally would not use one of those on my uppers. I would prefer my ghetto fab pvc trim [wink]

There is a huge difference between this block:
AR-15_Upper_Receiver_Pin_Vise_Block.jpg

And this block:
Panther%20Claw%20AR15-2.jpg

I also have one of these (similar in function to your reaction rod):
268_1409_popup.jpg

I have the clamshell for the ar15 and l love it. That one you posted looks like is built better than the one that simply connects to the pinholes. I'm just saying that I wouldn't use it. Also, for the cost the clamshell seems safer. For the 308 platform, I don't see any version like the beefed up one you are showing, which has more support in the gas port pocket. Personally, I just don't like the idea of putting any side stress on those holes. Again, I am not a gunsmith or an engineer. I am probably 100% wrong, I normally am.

That aside, now that my build is finished, it looks like brownells has put out a 308 reaction rod at 25% the cost of the geiselle - http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod72374.aspx I might have to pick one of these up for both platforms and sell the clamshell?

Thanks. I don't care, it's good entertainment

View attachment 135318

Now go see how that thing shoots and post a range report. With out even getting into manufactures rifles that look like your build in the few shops around me are 1300+ for the lesser manufacture with mass produced NATO barrels.

Budget means different things. You can,build the cheapest POS and call it a budget build.
Mine for example was a 450$ build. Bought a used lower and a used colt parts kit when they where 300$ another 75 for brake and pin/weld
Then you have the Lets see what is the best I can do for 1000$.
Whats good about the AR is everything around the barrel and BCG doesn't need to be a high end expensive piece. My friend built a great rifle Areo blem upper and lower, the rest he found used or deep,discount except the barrel and bolt. Only problem is he bought a 20" heavy bull barrel and now doesn't like the weight.
Another thing lots of folks leave out is their total shipping cost.
In the end you did good if your happy with the results and price. I built a few over the years that when done stepped back and went.....hmmm that's not what I want. One of those was a ruger 204 build with 24" barrel. I never put a shot through it.although I built it for about 1/3 of buying one off the shelf. I sold it for cost of build.

Last edited:
I tried it last Sunday at Harvard. I ran a variety of ammo from 55 grain to 77. The 55 grain felt sloppy since its a 1/7 twist. The 62 green tip was ok. 77 gr black hills match and Hornady superformance ran great. It felt tighter when cycling. I happened to find some 77 gold medal and will run some through it perhaps tomorrow.

I tried it last Sunday at Harvard. I ran a variety of ammo from 55 grain to 77. The 55 grain felt sloppy since its a 1/7 twist. The 62 green tip was ok. 77 gr black hills match and Hornady superformance ran great. It felt tighter when cycling. I happened to find some 77 gold medal and will run some through it perhaps tomorrow.

how it felt WHAT! How did you shoot man! how did it group! the 62 grain or heck any of the m193 or m855 stuff isnt worth shooting except to blow up pumpkins and milk jugs and mag dumps. the 77 federal gold medal is good ammo as is the black hills.

Last edited:
Have that itch again and the wife is pissed..

Went on a shopping spree recently for another build.

So far I have..
GPI billet lower
Anderson LPK
Anderson upper
Spikes BCG
BCM charging handle
DPMS buffer tube/spring/buffer
Strike industries dust cover
Troy Ind. Gas block/tube
FNH USA 20 inch 1/7.
15 inch free float hand guard
Working on another Velocity trigger or may pony up the $ for a Geissele.
Vortex Diamondhead hp 12x42
Burris Pepr mount

A little bit more than my last build, let's see how this one goes

Back
Top Bottom