• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1st AR platform budget build

Just finished. No crazy gadgets, trigger, or other accessories. Just a Plain Jane that hopefully works just fine. BCG is Griffin Armamnent and barrel is Green Mountain 18" 223 Wylde 1/7 Scope is a Bushnell 1-4x24. image-1672585532.jpg image-430688338.jpg

doesn't look budget. looks real sharp! My budget builds happen after a few expensive builds result in enough leftover bits to have a complete build.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I've read numerous posts about never skimping out on a barrel or a bolt. That's exactly what I did. Besides that, it's just your run of the mill stuff you can find in a shop or Amazon

Looks Nice. Just Curious if you don't mind me asking, what was your budget.
Here is the parts run down. If you search hard enough, you'll find deals. Spikes lower CMMG lpk Anderson Upper Stag Upper parts kit Green Mountain 18" 223 Wylde 1/7 barrel Griffin Armament BCG Bravo Co. gunfighter bolt handle Run of the mill buffer/spring/tube Magpul stick and trigger guard Guntec USA 4/15 15 inch hand guard Bushnell AR/223 1-4x24 scope with CCOP mount.

Join Amazon Prime for free two day shipping

Here is the parts run down. If you search hard enough, you'll find deals. Spikes lower CMMG lpk Anderson Upper Stag Upper parts kit Green Mountain 18" 223 Wylde 1/7 barrel Griffin Armament BCG Bravo Co. gunfighter bolt handle Run of the mill buffer/spring/tube Magpul stick and trigger guard Guntec USA 4/15 15 inch hand guard Bushnell AR/223 1-4x24 scope with CCOP mount.

Join Amazon Prime for free two day shipping

What was your build cost. I have seen that free float a lot in builds lately. It's sharp looking.
Funny when I hear "budget" I expect to see a standard carbine that someone put together for 500$

My first was around $600. Sota arms barrel. Rra lpk. Magpul stock and pistol grip. Yhm forearm. Fair quality bcg. Dpms slick side upper and NFA lower. Second was around $1k as a 20" green mountain barrel and quinten defense upper and lower.

What was your build cost. I have seen that free float a lot in builds lately. It's sharp looking. Funny when I hear "budget" I expect to see a standard carbine that someone put together for 500$

Besides the barrel and bolt, it wasn't bad. Like I said, you gotta stare the iPad for a few hours comparing prices, shipping costs, etc. Amazon get a lot of business from me lately. The handguard was $119 with free priority shipping. You can't beat that

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Besides the barrel and bolt, it wasn't bad. Like I said, you gotta stare the iPad for a few hours comparing prices, shipping costs, etc. Amazon get a lot of business from me lately. The handguard was $119 with free priority shipping. You can't beat that

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

So what did it cost you total build. I'm all for free shipping. My buddy didn't pay attention bought from many vendors. He realised he spent 97$ just in shipping.

So what did it cost you total build. I'm all for free shipping. My buddy didn't pay attention bought from many vendors. He realised he spent 97$ just in shipping.
A tad over a grand. But that includes some minor shipping costs and scope/mount

Last edited:
I would consider a budget build to be around $400, which can be done sometimes with the deals Palmetto has going and a cheap lower sourced locally. That or quality parts you get cheap. Palmetto on occasion has a lower build kit with Magpul parts. I built one of them recently and will be posting pictures of it once I get the BUIS installed.

Last edited:
A tad over a grand. But that includes some minor shipping costs and scope/mount

My 1000$ budget build.... nice I don't really know the prices good or bad on the stuff you used. Good looking rifle with out dirt cheap questionable parts is always good.

I'm with you, a budget build to is $500 give or take a few dollars. Quality 80% 7075-TS lowers are under $50 now and there are a few reputable companies selling parts and parts kits that are very reasonably priced.

I'm with you, a budget build to is $500 give or take a few dollars. Quality 80% 7075-TS lowers are under $50 now and there are a few reputable companies selling parts and parts kits that are very reasonably priced.

my LGS was selling Anderson lowers recently for $45 out the door, coupled with a PSA build kit when they do their daily sales ($400), you can build a $500 AR without to much work.

my LGS was selling Anderson lowers recently for $45 out the door, coupled with a PSA build kit when they do their daily sales ($400), you can build a $500 AR without to much work.

Personally, I don't get the idea of a $500 AR build... for $650ish you can get a Ruger or S&W with good build quality and a actual warranty.

IMHO, a custom AR build is best suited when you know exactly what you want and either 1. Can't buy it that way or 2. Can save money building it

Hmmm... for a $1k rifle I would have spent another $50 on the handguard. Guntec/MAS Defense's stuff is notoriously brittle and the finish is soft. For not much more $$$ you could have bought a Noveske rail or UTG Pro if you wanted to still save money. Of course if the rifle lives in a safe it doesn't really matter.

I agree with the other guys, budget is $4-600. You can pretty much put anything you want on a $1k AR build if you know the right suppliers. My AR9mm builds are both under $1k and those require extra killy parts to use 9mm. For $1k you could have bought a BCM complete upper ($700) and built just about any lower you wanted for $300.

Hmmm... for a $1k rifle I would have spent another $50 on the handguard. Guntec/MAS Defense's stuff is notoriously brittle and the finish is soft. For not much more $$$ you could have bought a Noveske rail or UTG Pro if you wanted to still save money. Of course if the rifle lives in a safe it doesn't really matter.

I agree with the other guys, budget is $4-600. You can pretty much put anything you want on a $1k AR build if you know the right suppliers. My AR9mm builds are both under $1k and those require extra killy parts to use 9mm. For $1k you could have bought a BCM complete upper ($700) and built just about any lower you wanted for $300.

Care to give parts lists for your builds?

Sure:

$954.50
Lower (stripped)CMMG 9MM Lower Receiver$143.00
Lower Parts KitAnderson$35.00
GripLaRue$0.00$5 if I had to buy it
Butt stockBattlelink Minimalist$38.00
Buffer tubeBCM Mil spec buffer kit$50.00
BufferRRA 9mm Buffer$25.00
BarrelCMMG$135.00
handguardUTG Pro 7" keymod$130.00
A2 half birdcage$12.50
bolt assemblyCMMG Bolt Assembly$165.00
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle$55.00
upper receiverAero Precision Upper$75.00
Uzi mag$11.00
triggerALG trigger$55.00
RRA 9mm ejection door & gas deflector$25.00

Those prices are without shipping so figure there are three vendors there and $15 shipping from each vendor and you are right at the $1k mark.

Oh, and plus $200 for the ATF... [devil]

Personally, I don't get the idea of a $500 AR build... for $650ish you can get a Ruger or S&W with good build quality and a actual warranty.

IMHO, a custom AR build is best suited when you know exactly what you want and either 1. Can't buy it that way or 2. Can save money building it

You answered your self with "when you know what you want"
I built my first ar on a s&w lower , piston conversion , free float tube , ace stock , bcm charging handle few magpul parts etc for around the same price of a s&w low end rifle .
My gun was really a budget build . I scored on the piston kit and the rest of the parts I bought through group buys or sales . Just worked out to be 5-600$ rifle when I was done.

If your a real savy shopper and play the deals, you can build an AR for $400, now that's a budget build. (I did this with one of PSA's Thanksgiving sales).

Sure:

$954.50
Lower (stripped)CMMG 9MM Lower Receiver$143.00
Lower Parts KitAnderson$35.00
GripLaRue$0.00$5 if I had to buy it
Butt stockBattlelink Minimalist$38.00
Buffer tubeBCM Mil spec buffer kit$50.00
BufferRRA 9mm Buffer$25.00
BarrelCMMG$135.00
handguardUTG Pro 7" keymod$130.00
A2 half birdcage$12.50
bolt assemblyCMMG Bolt Assembly$165.00
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle$55.00
upper receiverAero Precision Upper$75.00
Uzi mag$11.00
triggerALG trigger$55.00
RRA 9mm ejection door & gas deflector$25.00

Those prices are without shipping so figure there are three vendors there and $15 shipping from each vendor and you are right at the $1k mark.

Oh, and plus $200 for the ATF... [devil]

This build is $100 more than a Stag Model 9 and uses airsoft grade parts like UTG, so Im not sure I get your point

This build is $100 more than a Stag Model 9 and uses airsoft grade parts like UTG, so Im not sure I get your point

If you think the UTG Pro is airsoft then you haven't seen it. My point was "for a $1k rifle I would have spent another $50 on the handguard". I'm not sure where you are confused? I could have bought the Noveske for $175 but I didn't like the mounting hardware.

Just finished. No crazy gadgets, trigger, or other accessories. Just a Plain Jane that hopefully works just fine. BCG is Griffin Armamnent and barrel is Green Mountain 18" 223 Wylde 1/7 Scope is a Bushnell 1-4x24. View attachment 134038 View attachment 134039

Looks nice. Congratulations!

The rest of you: quit crapping up his thread. (Have some decency and go back and self-edit.)

If you think the UTG Pro is airsoft then you haven't seen it. My point was "for a $1k rifle I would have spent another $50 on the handguard". I'm not sure where you are confused? I could have bought the Noveske for $175 but I didn't like the mounting hardware.

Oh, so what your saying is, it sucks when someone trolls your posts and dislikes your part selection....

For the record, yes I've handled the UTG Pro stuff, no thanks. Further, if "I" was going to invest in a tax stamp I wouldn't be using bargin basement parts, but that's just MY opinion.

Back
Top Bottom