• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1st AR-15 Build LRPK question

BW23

NES Member
Looking at different LRPK reviews on AIMsurplus, Midwayusa, etc....it doesn't seem like there's a clean cut winner. I feel like Daniel Defense is expensive just due to the name and I still read some quality complaints.

What LRPK's have you bought and assembled that you would recommend around $60-$70 range??

Right now, it looks like I'll be trying to chase down Rock River Arms or Stag Arms LRPK. They seem to have the least amount of bitching and whining when it comes to customer reviews.

Thanks!!

It may also be worth it just to piece it together yourself. All I really use are the takedown pins, safety, and the various springs and detents.

Mike

I have purchased and installed kits from rock river, cmmg, del-ton and palmetto state armory. I can not tell the difference in any of the parts. I don't feel I need a 2lb trigger, so I simply shopped around for the best price. 2 kits that I recently used were from palmetto state

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/you-didn-t-build-that-lower-parts-kit-sale.html

$40 for a standard kit can not be beat, and they are quality parts. They also offer kits with different grips or trigger guards, and I just noticed they have a kit that includes extra detents and springs. A good piece of insurance for a first timer!

I ended up with a Stag Arms, and I bought it straight from their website. From what I understand, most of these kits are mostly identical. The higher prices come from better triggers within the kits.

FWIW, I have used DPMS, Daniel Defense, Spikes, Colt, and Brownells. Of those, the Spikes is the one I recommend. The price was reasonable, installation was easy and works like it should. The DD was also good, but was more money.

I believe there only a handful of companies that make most of the parts in a LPK so most of the parts are the same from kit to kit However I have noticed some companies have better taper on their pins allowing for easier installation as well as using springs that are color coded so you are able to discern them from other springs that look similar but are not the same.

Dave

I just go with the dpms kits and do my own trigger job. I've never had a problem with any of the parts and one of them has about 10k rounds through it.

Sent from my mom's basement. Using Samsung GSIII

My biggest concern would be the quality of the parts and making sure they are not out of spec. For instance, Cully mentioned some mfg's hardening process is different. Something like this, i didn't want to be an issue for reliability.

But it sounds like most of you have had great luck with your LPK purchases.

My next big question is the trigger feel. Looking for something smooth. I've read Spikes is a bit gritty. Who has bought and installed a Rock River LPK? How was the quality of parts and feel of the trigger?

I guess I would pay a bit more for like a DD to ensure i get great quality components. But every site shows it out of stock or $100 +shipping...screw those scammers.

My biggest concern would be the quality of the parts and making sure they are not out of spec. For instance, Cully mentioned some mfg's hardening process is different. Something like this, i didn't want to be an issue for reliability.

But it sounds like most of you have had great luck with your LPK purchases.

My next big question is the trigger feel. Looking for something smooth. I've read Spikes is a bit gritty. Who has bought and installed a Rock River LPK? How was the quality of parts and feel of the trigger?

I guess I would pay a bit more for like a DD to ensure i get great quality components. But every site shows it out of stock or $100 +shipping...screw those scammers.

This is going into my next build:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ALG-Combat-Trigger-ACT-p/alg-combat-trigger-(act).htm Never used one before but it looks promising!

Like the others I have used LPKs from a bunch of different mfgs and really haven't found much differnece between them, all the parts fit and work the way they should. I don't buy LPKs any longer because I don't use the triggers in them and I have all the remaining parts seperately.

This is going into my next build:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ALG-Combat-Trigger-ACT-p/alg-combat-trigger-(act).htm Never used one before but it looks promising!

Like the others I have used LPKs from a bunch of different mfgs and really haven't found much differnece between them, all the parts fit and work the way they should. I don't buy LPKs any longer because I don't use the triggers in them and I have all the remaining parts seperately.

Which LPKs did you like for ease of install and trigger feel? At this point I am going to stay with the single stage trigger.

They all install the same way. Minus the few drop in matched trigger, those are easy as pie .

The hardest part about installing a trigger is getting the two springs on the two parts .
It's really just put the part in gun slide pin in. It's not as hard as swapping out 1911 parts.

Google brownells AR assembly videos.
The only thing that's confusing is how you wrap the springs around the parts just pause and stare lol .

Which LPKs did you like for ease of install and trigger feel? At this point I am going to stay with the single stage trigger.

They fit and worked the way they were supposed to so there is no one that was better. I have probably used more Double Star LPKs only because I bought a bunch of them a while back.

Dummy pins I assume under sized.

Or was that more to the 1911 comment of mine? No matter how many times the internals allways mess with me lol
That's funny, I use a drift punch as a dummy pin for the trigger and hammer pins and I use the wooden handle from a cotton swab to hold the bolt catch in place while I drive the pin. On one build I did for some reason the trigger and hammer pins were just kickin my ass that day, couldn't get them in for nothing. I used the dummy pins and got then in no sweat so since them I have just automatically used them.

Has anyone bought and installed a Rock River LPK? How was the trigger? I've read people didn't care for the Spikes LPK because the trigger feel....a bit gritty.

ar15sales.com has a RRA LPK for a pretty nice price but I wnated to hear actual feedback from experienced builders.

Has anyone bought and installed a Rock River LPK? How was the trigger? I've read people didn't care for the Spikes LPK because the trigger feel....a bit gritty.

ar15sales.com has a RRA LPK for a pretty nice price but I wnated to hear actual feedback from experienced builders.

I have a RRA kit installed in a S&W lower. The trigger is smooth, no grit, however it is heavy (7-8 lbs) YMMV Others I have installed have had different levels of grit feel to them, but it smooths out with use.

I have a RRA kit installed in a S&W lower. The trigger is smooth, no grit, however it is heavy (7-8 lbs) YMMV Others I have installed have had different levels of grit feel to them, but it smooths out with use.

Excellent! Good to know!

Did you do anything to lighten the trigger pull from 7-8lbs?

Excellent! Good to know!

Did you do anything to lighten the trigger pull from 7-8lbs?

No. Its fine for my needs. It is not a precision rifle, if it were I would cough up the money for a proper trigger

Anyone own or used a CMMG, Del-ton, or RRA two stage triggers? RRA and CMMG are around $180 but Del-ton has one at $120. I'd like to get your feedback on the good and bad of these triggers.

I am only really going to use these for fun at the range.

For the $180 price point I would just get a Geissele. I've heard there are night and day differences even between the RRA 2 stages and Geisseles. I've admittedly never fired either of them, but I am coughing up the cash for the Geissele SD-E for my AR-10 build.

Mike

For the $180 price point I would just get a Geissele. I've heard there are night and day differences even between the RRA 2 stages and Geisseles. I've admittedly never fired either of them, but I am coughing up the cash for the Geissele SD-E for my AR-10 build.

Mike

Yeah, you can get a Geissele SSA for about that price.

Here's my review of the RRA lower parts kit I installed......

Parts all fit as they should. Followed the ar15.com guide. Nice and easy! The trigger is actually pretty nice. Smooth pull and little travel. I'm just guessing but it feels like a 7lb trigger pull.

Of course I already replaced the grip with a Hogue silcone overmold grip. I'm borrowing a buddy's upper assembly for the time being and every fired nicely!

i would absolutely recommned a RRA lower parts kit. For $66 shipped is sweet bargain. Thanks, again for your opinions! One day, I'll get the Geissele. Building a full upper is next on the list.

+1 for the RRA lpk. Just did 2 lowers with these. No issues whatsoever

Back
Top Bottom