Yes, at least partially correct . . . as I have posted numerous times here.

In 1998, CHSB/FRB contracted with BATFE (yes, that one) to computerize all the records of DEALER SALES/TRANSFERS from 1986 forward.

They also made the decision to destroy all "BLUE CARDS", these were private transactions.

So they only have records of Retail Sales/Transfers from 1986 and Private Registrations/Transfers/Sales from 1998 onward.

Their records from 1986 into the early 90's are also spotty. After they moved from 1010 Comm Ave to the McCormack Building, they were one floor below my office. I used to go to lunch occasionally with Hamilton Perkins, the director and another friend from my office. Several times when we went into the FRB office, Perkins showed us the mess they were dealing with. They had boxes full of blue cards, a lot of them covered with pigeon shit and nibbled by rats from being stored in the attic at Comm Ave. They probably got most of them transferred, but I know that a lot were hopeless. So don't be surprised if you discover that one of yours isn't on their list.

Ken

According to Bill Pickett back in 1998, when he spoke to a LE group I belong to, they threw out all the blue cards for the reasons you stated (health hazard handling them). So none of them were entered.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about their screwed up database. Better to have our guns "off the records" . . . especially when we did it all legally and have the FA-10s for each one, but the state has no record of the transactions. [lol]

Am I reading your last sentence correctly? Does the state not record transfers on FA-10's?

Adam,

Please read the entire thread to keep things in context.

Pre-1998, EVERYTHING was in shoe boxes at the MSP HQ! No system that was discernible.

In 1998 they decided to computerize, but drove two different stakes in the ground.

- Dealer records only from 1986 forward.
- Threw out all blue cards (private transfers) due to health hazard that would have been involved with dealing with bird and rat shit! (See Ken's comment above)

Since 1988 and the use of full-page FA-10s, ALL transfers are recorded in the computerized database.

All the above info was told to me by Bill Pickett and his computer guy at a LE-only meeting in February of 1998 (yup, well before Ch. 180 ever was seen publicly in the legislature).

Back
Top Bottom